HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 04, 2003, 06:51 PM
Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
617 Posts
I will allow Carlos to elaborate on these photos.

... and what did he find when he got to the top?
tippy is offline Find More Posts by tippy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2003, 06:53 PM
Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
617 Posts

... the funniest looking bird he'd ever seen!
Old Dec 04, 2003, 06:55 PM
Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
617 Posts

... hey you down there ... is this yours??
Old Dec 04, 2003, 06:58 PM
Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
617 Posts

Thanks ... can I have the rest of it please?
Old Dec 04, 2003, 07:04 PM
Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
617 Posts

This is not the tree of life at "notdazoo".

Graininess is due to darkness and digital zoom.
White spots are raindrops reflecting the camera flash.
Yep ... so if landing in a tree and getting dark was enough,
it started raining too.
Old Dec 04, 2003, 07:07 PM
Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
617 Posts
The whole adventure reminded me of a line in "TOPGUN".

"... that was some of the best flying I've ever seen all the way up to when you got killed"

Carlos ... that is one impressive electric plane!!!!
Old Dec 04, 2003, 07:12 PM
Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
617 Posts
Anybody know where I can get some little stick on decals that look like trees?

I need a few for my plane, too !

tippy
Old Dec 04, 2003, 07:35 PM
Orlando Fl
Joined Jan 2002
1,899 Posts
Carlos, is that what I think it is? Did you plant her in a tree?
Good rescue I gotta' hear this story!
Chuck
Chuck McHugh is offline Find More Posts by Chuck McHugh
Old Dec 04, 2003, 08:33 PM
Want to Fly, Have to Work
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2003
990 Posts
Carlos

Thanks for the motor calcs. Suspision was right, looks like a good setup. Your assumptions were right on the mark.
BeerBatter is offline Find More Posts by BeerBatter
Old Dec 04, 2003, 08:39 PM
Orlando
Joined Oct 2003
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RacerX
How much do you want for your Mega?
$40 PM me if interested. Sorry guys i know i should have listed it in the for sale forum, but i had not got around to it and someone was interested.
RCOrlando is offline Find More Posts by RCOrlando
Old Dec 04, 2003, 10:28 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Got Explaining to do

Reminds me of something Chuck said right before he throttle up that large PITTS of his....

"I am JUST going to lift her up and set her down just to see what she can do ...." He He....I place her at the grassy runway at work and did a good preflight check and throttle her up slightly and then, something came over me and I just punched it wide OPEN!

She lifted like the SPACE SHUTTLE with all boosters and tank on board I throttle down to half and this SUPER STAR just continue to climb out of sight.

Okay, trying to keep calm, I throttle back to 1/4 throttle and place her facing the wind coming from the East - North East. She floated most excellent! I came around the field with her at about 200 feet and decided to bring her in and I had to give her lots of down and still at 1/4 throttle.

She came about 30 feet off the ground and passed us by the pilot standing area and performed a slow passby. I decided to throttle up and she was just zooming upwards that at about 50 feet she experienced CUTT-OFF!

I banked her very slowly and allowed the nose to pitch just slightly downward and she was coming in very nicely then someone yelled with a HOMMER SIMPSON's voice "TREE!"

She tip the top PINE TREE branches of this UGLY, LARGE PINE TREE and she tumbled down to an area of three major trunks that at one time in the Life of this tree it branched outwards. The SUPER STAR landed just perfect on it's landing gear right on the trunk area. However, one little detail that was not so good...SHE WAS 40 FEET up in the Air on this TREE!

I reacted quickly, knowing the night fall was soon upon me, I raced to the FIRE & RESCUE station very closeby. They were just sitting down for dinner and I came in and explained my situation and asked if anyone had a ladder. They said not one that will reach 40 feet! You would need to call the Cape Canaveral Airforce Station for a truck that can reach that. Oh, shoot I said and then, one rescue guy said, "Hey, I will go with you in my Rescue truck and follow you to where it's at to see if anything can be done to recover the model.

I was shocked and proceeded to high tail out of there since darkness and rain was upon us! This young man just climbed that tree like if he was trying for a part in TARZAN! The most damage was from the recovery and not the landing on the tree. He detaced the wing and he gently let go and the wing flipped several times downward and got cought by yet another branch which punched some holes on top ot the wing.

Well, here's some pic's of the damage.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Dec 05, 2003 at 04:53 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2003, 10:38 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Repaired and Ready to Fly!

Well, I gave these two guys many thanks and we all went our separate ways since it started to rain....I raced to my car and disconnected the battery and removed it from the model and secured all items and proceeded to Orlando.

I called Gerry and told him of my experiences and he was very nice and asked me to go to his girlfriends place and relax at the garage and we both fixed the wing covering. I cut the material and he helped with the iron!

Well, here's the results!

The repair was faster than a SPEEDING BULLET!
Carlos
Old Dec 04, 2003, 10:41 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Closeup of the wing repair!

Thanks a lot Gerry!

Thanks to Tippy with his quick thinking and taking shots of the rescue!

Carlos
Old Dec 05, 2003, 04:56 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Going to fly the HOBBICO SUPER STAR EP again in the morning. Going to meet Richard, Stoney, and Gerry at 7:00AM sharp at the HOME DEPOT Field, Friday morning, 12-05-2003!

It's going to be just perfect conditions!

Carlos
Old Dec 05, 2003, 05:19 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...22#post1562922

Anyone interested in TAHOECREST maiden flight report on his new WATTAGE (GLOBAL MODELS) PT-17 STEARMAN that has 32 1/4 inch wing span top and 31 1/4 inch wing span bottom go to the above posted thread.

He had to abort his take off since he didn't have enough thrust with the Brushless Motor setup and the Propeller the kit came with. It tips the digitial scale at OVER 28oz.!!!!!!!

I am glad that I purchased the GWS PT-17 version!

Carlos
Closed Thread