HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Smokin_Joes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:27 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
Build Log
FMS P-51D V7 Comparison with FMS P-51D V6/re-Build log

Here are my initial thoughts during the unboxing.

I ordered the new FMS V7 P-51 Mustang from PW-RC on Friday 08.24.12 and it arrived today Thursday 08.30.12. The box came in it's usual black plastic wrapped that Philip sends. The box art designed by AROS looks great.

Everything was nicely packaged in it's own bag and fit perfectly in it's styrofoam box.

I then pulled out the propeller blades. Guess this makes for the first 5 blade Mustang!

The Spinner has been updated and now uses machine screws with lock nuts instead of the former self tapping screws. The blades are supposed to be same length and pitch BUT are now reinforced- perhaps FRP?

Next up, the drop tanks. Big boys they are. They have a plastic slide on clip. They slide from front to back which makes absolute sense.

Next up, the gear doors look great! The inner (half) doors are controlled by servo. Per the manual, there appears to be a sequencer.

The fuselage looks great. The canopy has been updated with more cockpit detail and the glass (well plastic) canopy can slide back. There are different stop points either and the leading edge of the canopy has a lip that slides under the windshield. Nice!

Upon lifting out the cockpit, it appears to be a little weak as it can bend a bit. Shouldn't be too much a problem.

The tail feathers are different that previous versions. The main wings mount differently to the fuse, so these don't appear backwards friendly. Meaning if you have a V6 or older, the latest wings won't work. Sad. But not really. They seem stiffer, maybe even heavier than previous versions. This scheme is also not as translucent though my other version was the Yellow Marie.

The forward cowling is different. It is much more open and at the bottom end there are two holes I presume for air flow cooling.

More to come- need to cycle the LG and see their new oleo struts!

Updates:

9.22.12 Posted more pics. Also, am not a fan of the many philips head screws and have changed many to socket or button head. Can you say toooo easy to strip?

I am still making final counts and will update with which ones I've swapped out and the new corresponding sizes. The wing bolts are not the easiest to find as these are 60 and 45mm lengths.
Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Last edited by Smokin_Joes; Sep 23, 2012 at 01:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:53 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
V6 and V7 Fuselage Comparison

Reserving Highlighting the changes between the older and latest V7 fuselages.

The firewall is different and the motor mount is MUCH smaller. Pics of this up soon.
Last edited by Smokin_Joes; Sep 23, 2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:54 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
V6 and V7 Tail feathers comparison

Discussing the changes/updates between V6 and V7 horizontal/elevator & vertical stab/rudder.

In these pics, I've placed red arrows locating the differences between the previous and latest V7 P-51 vertical and horizontal tail feathers.
Last edited by Smokin_Joes; Sep 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:55 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
V6 and V7 Main Wing comparisons

Reserving for the main wing comparisons between V6 and V7.

Most obvious difference is the revised flap which is now the correct length. Note location of spar and how close to the wingtip it goes (see red arrow). Also but not shown, there is now two instead of the previous single spar connect both wing halves together. One is faux carbon (I believe Sandancer indicated these are just black fiberglass cylindrical tubes) and one metal spar that is "bent" for proper dihedral.
Last edited by Smokin_Joes; Sep 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:56 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
V6 vs V7 landing gear

Comparisons between all that is related to the main landing gear on the V6 & V7 FMS P-51D Mustangs.

The 514's are almost drop in!

V7 now has working oleo struts however they have a plastic outer shell with some metal inside. Not yet sure if there is full length metal tube.

More to come

UPDATE

09.23.12 The 514 will need a revised mounting plate similar to how Sandancer did with his Jug.

09.24.12 I measured the 514's against the stock retracts and unfortunately the 514's are taller (deeper) by about 3.49mm. This means drop in is not so true. Gonna research options.

09.28.12 Received my new set of offset oleo struts as my original VQ P-51 struts were made to fit no larger than 2-3/4" (69.85mm) wheels. It comes with 4mm bushings that means once cut to proper length, will drop right down onto the stock retract.

I am bummed the 514's are not straight drop in. I suppose I can modify the wings with hardwood rails, but I'm going to wait and see how the new FMS all metal retracts are. In the event I end up using a retract with 5mm shaft, I can easily drill out the bearing to 5mm.
Last edited by Smokin_Joes; Oct 01, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:57 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
V6 and V7 Cockpit Comparison

Reserving to highlight the differences between the former and the new.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:58 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
Misc

Misc

-Found some metal struts that can hold 3" wheels, which is larger than the VQ (max 2-3/4").
-Swapping out lots of the screws to button or socket head. I'll update soon with a parts list in case others are interested.
Last edited by Smokin_Joes; Sep 23, 2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:16 PM
Gravitationally challenged
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
Will a metal Oleo fit?
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:19 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyindude View Post
Will a metal Oleo fit?
Absolutely! I've updated post showing VQ metal strut.

Neil
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:48 AM
Gravitationally challenged
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
Looks like a lot of significant improvements vs V6. The struts don't look too bad, even if the outer is plastic. Proof will be in the durability and use. I assume the VQ ones would add significantly to the weight, and I'm not sure the 3" wheel would fit on them without hitting the strut? Oh I see you mentioned that, but I'm not clear on the replacement you suggest.

Yes I am interested in the hardware replacement list as I too hate the cheese that comes with most models. Just bought an M2 Ti allen head bolt to affix my T28 wing in place.

I am surprised how much change there is in the aileron control surface. It will be interesting to see how this affects roll rate. Are the specs of the recommended throws different between V6 and V7? I have been looking for a FMS manual for this bird, without luck so far. I wrote to FMS on their website that they should link to it. I understand the manual may have its faults but it would be good to review regardless.

My BBD version has been ordered and will arrive in a few weeks time.

What battery size do you recommend for about a 8-10min flight of mixed flying?

Do you have a length and diameter of the main (glass fibre) spar or is it already installed and inaccessible? i can get a carbon one sorted whilst I wait.

Great work you are doing here by the way. I for one certainly appreciate it and am enjoying the read. Well done. Cheers, Kendrick
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude
Last edited by Flyindude; Sep 25, 2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 01:00 PM
Joined May 2008
80 Posts
Propeller blades from v7 fit the v6?
Cactusflyr is offline Find More Posts by Cactusflyr