HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:16 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,304 Posts
No problem, when handled with proper care, LiPo gives the best performance to weight ratio. But taking proper care is not every one's cup of tea sadly, and then a more "forgiving" chemistry is more convenient. Also a thing to observe is that LiPo performs badly when the cells get too cold. In a speedboat the current draw is so high that pre-warmed cells can maintain their temp well enough, but in less power hungry applications, the cell could cool down to a temp where the voltage just drops dramatically and the cell appears drained within minutes or less. Other chemistries also don't like being too cold, but a lipo suffers most from it. So those that like to sail during the winter season, keep your batteries warm, perhaps even a little "coat" around them.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:56 PM
Registered User
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
No problem, when handled with proper care, LiPo gives the best performance to weight ratio. But taking proper care is not every one's cup of tea sadly, and then a more "forgiving" chemistry is more convenient. Also a thing to observe is that LiPo performs badly when the cells get too cold. In a speedboat the current draw is so high that pre-warmed cells can maintain their temp well enough, but in less power hungry applications, the cell could cool down to a temp where the voltage just drops dramatically and the cell appears drained within minutes or less. Other chemistries also don't like being too cold, but a lipo suffers most from it. So those that like to sail during the winter season, keep your batteries warm, perhaps even a little "coat" around them.
@SoloProFan:
Good point re battery temperature...

I have done support for some solar powered weather stations in some remote areas around here for many years. Using lead/acid deep cycle 85AH batteries (that is like a truck battery) - the site power consumption is only 60 or 80 mA on idle but these batteries struggle to keep up in cold weather - part of this is due to low charge input from the solar system but once the electrolyte temperature gets down around zero degrees C the battery capacity diminishes rapidly and struggles to keep the site running....

Certainly the temperature inside a wet boat on a windy day is likely to be low, at least it is where I sail....
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:10 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
584 Posts
Penguin, perhaps you could try flooded NiCads for those weather stations, such as SAFT products...
northernmike is offline Find More Posts by northernmike
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:50 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2005
40 Posts
Still LiFe is a good balance of power and safety so far. And it is even cheaper. Just ordered some LiFe packs for my TX and RX from HobbyKing. Also posted some buddy codes to share.
deoding is offline Find More Posts by deoding
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:21 PM
Registered User
8387mike's Avatar
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoding View Post
Still LiFe is a good balance of power and safety so far. And it is even cheaper. Just ordered some LiFe packs for my TX and RX from HobbyKing. Also posted some buddy codes to share.
Agree, I buy as many as I can with every order from HK and then past them on to the guys I sail with.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:52 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
D design's Avatar
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
592 Posts
Also lipos are not waterprof so i had to waterproof mine. As you may know, dunking lipos in sea water is meant to nuturlize the battery when disposing it. I sail in sea water so dont want that to happen. However this salt water disposal thing is a bit of a myth as the battery only dicharges untill the metal contacts corrode leaving energy that wasnt able to discharge which is very dangerous when disposing. Nimhs are fine with water, if they get wet just spray with a little crc. I am more worried about black wire desease caused by electrolysis.
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:42 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
LiFe is swelling.

I had settled on LiFe batteries thanks to this discussion. After my second outing with the Soling I noticed a strong chemical smell in the car on the way home. Thought it might be antifreeze but when I took the LiFe out of the TX I discovered it was swollen and felt soft like a balloon. Although there is no odor from that battery I'm sure it was the source of that smell in the car. I then put it in a pail and hooked it up to the charger with a cautious 0.1 amp charge rate. The battery takes the charge but I decided to abandon in order to not push my luck.
I'm surprised that with all that's been discussed here no one has mentioned the swelling problem.
Was it a defective battery? No warning or instructions came with it.
markodv is offline Find More Posts by markodv
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:21 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2006
598 Posts
You puffed a battery. That is what happens when they get overcharged, overheated or discharged too far. Once a cell puffs it is suspect and should be disposed. I would be careful in leaving anything plugged in. Many things pull a little juice even when off. That will completely discharge a pack without you knowing. Not a big deal with the cheap packs we use, but try damaging a 4 cell 5000 mah pack @ $200/pack.

I have slightly puffed a pack in an RC car on a 105 deg day with a 145 deg track temp. The pack got too hot and started to degrade. I also left one plugged in over night after a race with the ESC turned off. The pack was dead the next day.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:28 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
584 Posts
LiPo is easy to take care of - but you have to have a good charger that's designed to take care of your chosen chemistry.

Mistakes and taking chances, using them without metrics will end them badly.

For some, it's worth the investment, not so for others.

There's a reason car batteries are still Lead-Acid. Most people don't want to think any harder than that.

If you don't want to spend the time and money to understand and respect your Lithium, don't be surprised when it puffs or blows up on you.

All the information you need is here online and in the instructions that came with your products (especially your charger).

Just sayin'.
northernmike is offline Find More Posts by northernmike
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:17 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
gpzy's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoding View Post
Still LiFe is a good balance of power and safety so far. And it is even cheaper. Just ordered some LiFe packs for my TX and RX from HobbyKing. Also posted some buddy codes to share.
Most of the guys on our pond have switched to LiFe batteries also. I use Lipo in my IOM, and RG-65 and I use nimh in my US1M.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:06 PM
Registered User
8387mike's Avatar
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodv View Post
I had settled on LiFe batteries thanks to this discussion. After my second outing with the Soling I noticed a strong chemical smell in the car on the way home. Thought it might be antifreeze but when I took the LiFe out of the TX I discovered it was swollen and felt soft like a balloon. Although there is no odor from that battery I'm sure it was the source of that smell in the car. I then put it in a pail and hooked it up to the charger with a cautious 0.1 amp charge rate. The battery takes the charge but I decided to abandon in order to not push my luck.
I'm surprised that with all that's been discussed here no one has mentioned the swelling problem.
Was it a defective battery? No warning or instructions came with it.
Ok this is the first time I have heard of a LiFe doing this, I have had this happen to Lipo but not a LiFe
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:11 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
carlsoti's Avatar
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,310 Posts
Lipo has that "sweet" antifreeze smell. IDK if LiFe does, I've never heard of this happening, either.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:43 PM
Registered User
Evansville, IN
Joined Jul 2002
301 Posts
Didn't know that you could even "puff" an LiFe battery, thought only LiPo's puffed. Never heard of this happening, especially in a sailing situation.
11290 is offline Find More Posts by 11290
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:10 AM
Registered User
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,110 Posts
Any chemistry battery will have adverse effects if you do all the wrong things,you need to read and educate yourself on how the different chemistries should be used.I use lipo's and have no problems do all the wrong things and you're asking for trouble.Don't be fooled that Nimh can't blow up too.The manufacturer expects you to use it correctly.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:37 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
D design's Avatar
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
592 Posts
Linthium Ion Phosphate batteries can be discharged to fully flat and not be harmed. You only can damage them if you pull to much current out of them i.e. short circut, or shoot it with a rpg : D. I just got a LiFe 2100mah 2s 20c and it was lighter than my 1800 2s 20-30c LiPo!!!
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! What type of charger for this battery? Bearsa LLC Multirotor Talk 3 Jul 06, 2012 03:45 PM
Question What type of glue should I use for foam plane? easystarfpv4 Electric Plane Talk 1 Jul 06, 2012 09:22 AM
Discussion What type of covering to get ? jasonak Painting and Finishing Tips 2 Jul 03, 2012 02:41 PM
Discussion Can someone tell me what type of connector this is? ImAcracker FPV Talk 6 Jun 14, 2012 09:26 AM
Discussion What type of battery connectors are these? qwerty11 Batteries and Chargers 2 Apr 17, 2012 11:10 PM