Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:54 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
Totally baffled why there is even an issue/question over this. President Kennedy challenged the nation to send a man to the moon and return him safely before that decade was completed. We went not because it was easy, but it was hard. Far too complex/expensive for any privately-funded enterprise to accomplish such an ambitious task so the government "built it".

Mission Accomplished.

RIP Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)
Totally baffled as to why the fact the govt can do Big Things has any meaning. Yes it can.

And?
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:04 AM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,205 Posts
I guess what I should have call this thread "Way to go Chris Wallas" fron not trying to speak over the God Bless America and let the song finish.
I think it showed respect

Thanks
Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:15 AM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
840 Posts
Almost every American at the time was for the space program and landing a man on the moon whether dem or repub and I'd venture to say that every American today is extremely proud of this accomplishment and the men and woman who took part, and I'm sure most folks have no problem with the government being involved.
Libelle201B is online now Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:18 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
NASA didn't build the Saturn V ... nor did it build the Lunar Lander ... nor did it build any of the Mercury, Gemini or Apollo vehicles.

NASA and the Government taking credit for "building" those things would be the equivalent of you taking credit for building the car that you just purchased off the sales lot.
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:18 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B View Post
Almost every American at the time was for the space program and landing a man on the moon whether dem or repub and I'd venture to say that every American today is extremely proud of this accomplishment and the men and woman who took part, and I'm sure most folks have no problem with the government being involved.
Actually every human on the planet pretty much was for the space programme (not program - that's a computer term...) and the moon landings!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:30 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
I have the pleasure of working with many people who still remember the atmosphere back in the 60s and 70s when they were working on Gemini, Apollo, Skylab and later Shuttle. Back in those days, NASA wasn't as overtly political as it is now. NASA wasn't bothered with having to figure out which way the political winds were shifting every four years. Back then all NASA had to worry about was providing the design requirements and mission parameters to the private contractors who were building the vehicles and infrastructures needed to support the missions.

In 9 years we went from nothing, to landing a man on the moon ... we're talking 4 space ships and the rockets to put them in space. We couldn't do that now in the current environment because every four years NASA gets jerked around with new missions like ... making the Muslim world feel good about its self ... NASA has become just another political wing of the Government and we've all suffered because of it.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:34 AM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I have the pleasure of working with many people who still remember the atmosphere back in the 60s and 70s when they were working on Gemini, Apollo, Skylab and later Shuttle. Back in those days, NASA wasn't as overtly political as it is now. NASA wasn't bothered with having to figure out which way the political winds were shifting every four years. Back then all NASA had to worry about was providing the design requirements and mission parameters to the private contractors who were building the vehicles and infrastructures needed to support the missions.

In 9 years we went from nothing, to landing a man on the moon ... we're talking 4 space ships and the rockets to put them in space. We couldn't do that now in the current environment because every four years NASA gets jerked around with new missions like ... making the Muslim world feel good about its self ... NASA has become just another political wing of the Government and we've all suffered because of it.
The first part I would agree with, as for the second part it's just as "political" as you claim NASA has become. You do realise that these space ventures are extremely expensive and at a time of budget shortfalls cut's have to be made. The cost of each shuttle launch was around one billion dollars $$$$$$, not to mention all the funding needed to support NASA itself.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:43 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
The first part I would agree with, as for the second part you do realise that these space ventures are extremely expensive and at a time of budget shortfalls cut's have to be made. The cost of each shuttle launch was around one billion dollars $$$$$$.
You realize that the interest we pay on our national debt in one year is equivalent to 40 years of NASA budgets?

Do you realize that NASA's current budget is one half on one penny for every dollar spent?

Do you realize that the money spent on Cash for Clunkers in 2009 as 4 billion while that year the NASA budget was 17 Billion?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:54 AM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
414 Posts
And now NASA is a Muslim out-reach agency? Go figure.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:12 AM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
840 Posts
Quote:
You realize that the interest we pay on our national debt in one year is equivalent to 40 years of NASA budgets?

Do you realize that NASA's current budget is one half on one penny for every dollar spent?

Do you realize that the money spent on Cash for Clunkers in 2009 as 4 billion while that year the NASA budget was 17 Billion?
How the congress allocates monies is their doing, what that has to do with "muslims" feeling better about themselves is beyond me, but I'm sure that was meant as a political remark..
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:14 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
109 Posts
Quote:
NASA didn't build the Saturn V ... nor did it build the Lunar Lander ... nor did it build any of the Mercury, Gemini or Apollo vehicles.
No, Boeing built the Saturn V
No, Boeing's union workers built the Saturn V
No, that Nazi guy built the Saturn V
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:15 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,791 Posts
So Rmoney is now claiming he got us to the moon 50 years ago.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:24 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,271 Posts
Quote:
No, Boeing built the Saturn V
No, Boeing's union workers built the Saturn V
No, that Nazi guy built the Saturn V
Uh, From Wiki:

The S-IC was built by the Chrysler Corporation at the Michoud Assembly Facility, New Orleans,

The S-II was built by North American Aviation at Seal Beach, California.

The S-IVB was built by the Mc Donnell Douglas Aircraft Company at Huntington Beach, California.

And IIRC, the Service Module was built by Mc Donnell Douglas, with the Command Module built by North American, the Prime for the CSM, the LEM was built by General Dynamics.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Last edited by madsci_guy; Aug 31, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:17 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
Uh, From Wiki:

The S-IC was built by the Chrysler Corporation at the Michoud Assembly Facility, New Orleans,

The S-II was built by North American Aviation at Seal Beach, California.

The S-IVB was built by the Mc Donnell Douglas Aircraft Company at Huntington Beach, California.

And IIRC, the Service Module was built by Mc Donnell Douglas, with the Command Module built by North American, the Prime for the CSM, the LEM was built by General Dynamics.
I went to go work for Rockwell International in 1995 at the Downey Plant. The high bay next to my building still had the jigs and scafolding used to build the command modules ... pretty damn cool.
Last edited by logan5; Aug 31, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:21 PM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
327 Posts
Quote:
Totally baffled why there is even an issue/question over this. President Kennedy challenged the nation to send a man to the moon and return him safely before that decade was completed. We went not because it was easy, but it was hard. Far too complex/expensive for any privately-funded enterprise to accomplish such an ambitious task so the government "built it".

Mission Accomplished.

RIP Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)
With Tax payers hard earned money. The end....
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy