HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,129 Posts
Question
Brushless Motors: The Relationship between Input Volts & Output Torque

Fellas, a q...

Take a given motor, say a Park 450. Flies on 3S/1000mah fine (10x4.7SF), but with a light model, the plane can be punchy in 3D.

Now say I wanted to soften the 3D a bit, and went down a cell to, say, a 2S/1300mah (about the same weight as the 3S/1000).

So given the Kv rating of the motor, obviously the rpm's are reduced- which is fine; ain't going for a speed record.

But here's the q: what happens to motor output torque (for a given throttle setting)?

Put another way: if I aim for softer/slower 3D, would dropping a cell make the power/weight ratio suffer too much? Make her a dog?

And what about prop? Prop up, down, stay the same?

Thx fellas.
Jeff
poiyt is online now Find More Posts by poiyt
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:23 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Normally dropping voltage increases max prop size. It's hard to predict what any one model will behave with a drop from 2S to 3S - there are calculators and test data available for that.

One thing I've been able to use to 'soften' the 3D power of a motor is to set dual rates/low trim/not max curve on the throttle. You need a decent computer radio to do that though.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
You need a decent computer radio to do that though.
Thx...and therein lies the rub: I have a DX7S, no fixed-wing throttle curves (exc for my 700N).

It's like $12 shipped for a batt so no big deal; I just didn't want to launch the thing & find out she flies like a dog...hence the question about torque
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:59 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Thx...and therein lies the rub: I have a DX7S, no fixed-wing throttle curves (exc for my 700N).

It's like $12 shipped for a batt so no big deal; I just didn't want to launch the thing & find out she flies like a dog...hence the question about torque
To "only" drop from around 100W on 3S/10x4.7 to about 70W, you'd need to go up to a 12x8. Note that you need to up the pitch a lot to keep adequate pitch speed at the reduced rpm.

With power for the same prop proportional to the cube of rpm, 2/3 rpm (2S vs 3S) represents only 30% power, hence the need for a big increase in prop size. It would barely fly on the same prop on 2S.

Re torque: for the same prop at any throttle setting on 2S vs 3S, less current is drawn as exponentially less power is required. Torque is directly proportional to current, so torque reduces too.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
To "only" drop from around 100W on 3S/10x4.7 to about 70W, you'd need to go up to a 12x8. Note that you need to up the pitch a lot to keep adequate pitch speed at the reduced rpm.

With power for the same prop proportional to the cube of rpm, 2/3 rpm (2S vs 3S) represents only 30% power, hence the need for a big increase in prop size. It would barely fly on the same prop on 2S.

Re torque: for the same prop at any throttle setting on 2S vs 3S, less current is drawn as exponentially less power is required. Torque is directly proportional to current, so torque reduces too.
Thx bud...but Holy Cannoli!!! A 12" prop on this lil foamie...??? Guess I'll stay w/ 3#...appreciate the info, thx