HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:26 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,442 Posts
Yeah, you're right RR. I remember as a kid, reading the package directions for those old Guillows rubber powered balsa models and it saying how to make the plane turn by tweaking the ouside of the wing slightly. It was so great watching them take off of the ground and watching the plane do a slow lazy turn and then glide down. Yeah, at 15 cents back in those days, we weren't afraid if the plane got lost or landed on a roof. Very true. I don't think any of us will ever get over the "maiden" jitters completely, but I know I certainly am not anywhere near as nervous as I used to be when I first got into the hobby.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
As I mentioned a lot earlier in this 'thread', (more like a ball of tangled wool ), when I learned to fly RC it was rudder only, there were no computers for a flight sim, no buddy box. Yet strangely many many of us old foggies learned to fly model planes.

Going by the advancements in technology, beginner should by now be able to fly a model in about 5 minutes.

I wonder why they can't
I learnt too on rudder only, a Topflite 27" span (686 mm) R/C Schoolboy with .020 Cox Pee Wee and Ace Pulse Commander. I flew in an open field with no teacher, crashed many times in learning, but the light weight plane was able to survive without rekitting itself.

Perhaps why they have a hard time learning is for one, they have a plane that is too complicated for them and not a trainer type.

Even those electric ready to run differential twin electric motor jobs would be a good start. They are basically "rudder only with auxiliary throttle" as the motors speed up in unison, causing the plane to climb. Banking is done through differential throttle. Chop the throttle, they glide. About my only complaint is the short flight time, which is fixable with a greater capacity light weight LiPo battery.

On R/O and throttle, one learns to judge sink rate, climb rate, left and right flying away, left and right on approach, flare for landing (blip throttle to pull nose up), etc.

Plus, due to size, you can crash many times especially if flown in tall grass without damage.

My 2 cents.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,442 Posts
Yeah Oki, they have one already. It's called the Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos. The thing is an incredible advancement with all kinds of "help" built into the plane. I find it hard to believe that people actually crash it. I flew it the first time successfully with absolutely no experience and I had a rough landing only because I couldn't avoid some bushes. But, these days, with planes like the HZ Champ, HZ Sper Cub and the FB Stratos, it's easier than ever to go it alone.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:39 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,601 Posts
With great ability, anything is possible. Never underestimate the ingenuity of the uninitiated!
flight of the fire bird stratos, (1 min 16 sec)
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
And that was all the result of a very personal vendetta by a very disturbed member. Jerry has NEVER been offensive even though he tends to be honest and forthright, obviously dishonorable traits. I, however, applaud him as a man who is not afraid to share the room with an opinion. Sometimes moderators just don't get things right, being on the receiving end of a person with a vendetta, and that's fine. Nobody's perfect and it's not the moderators' fault.
Cheers, RR.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
3,601 Posts
Still, nobody can quote Gerry. It's not too hard to do it anyway. Just highlight his post and press ctrl-c to copy it to the clipboard. Then in the blank post, press the button. You'll get the words quote and /quote in brackets in your post. Click between the middle brackets and type ctrl-v to paste Jerry's post into the space between "{quote}" and "{/quote} (brackets changed so the forum will render things correctly).

Takes a couple of seconds. No reason Gerry should be penalized for someone else's personality problem. If that's the only penalty he's left with we can fix that.

Question: why can someone meticulously comb through every post a member has made for over a year and that far after the fact claim to be offended when nobody in the conversations was offended at the time? We're talking about a person of questionable motives who was not a part of the conversation taking probably hours to read all of Gerry's posts and then registering many complaints months after the post was made. Should be an automatic banning of the complainer for stalking and attacking another member. There's a name for using the rules as a weapon and I can't think of it right now.
I finally got old enough to have it all together, but now I've fogotten where I put it.

Even if Jerry WERE offensive (he was not) this stalking attack is disturbing, illegal in many states and is MUCH worse than whatever Gerry has been penalized for. In many localities, Gerry would be adjudged a victim of assault and stalking. The offender could go to jail.

This is just another reason why when I am attacked I don't report the attacker. If I'm in the wrong I deserved it. If I'm right, I have the faith that others reading the exchange know it and the post of the attacker serves only as a warning to others that he does this kind of unwarranted attack. I want people to see who he is and what he does. If I complain and RC Groups removes his post, nobody will know. I want his words to testify against him.

I HAVE hit the report button once to report an attack on someone else. It had been going on for some time and I thought it should end. Even there I could have been wrong in reporting it for the reasons above.

How do you like the Stratos video? There's proof that no plane "can not be crashed."
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Sep 14, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:14 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,765 Posts
Some reports are silly. A few weeks ago I got reported for calling myself an idiot. And I didn't even know I was that sensitive.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:16 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,443 Posts
Rockin Robins.

Yes, someone in another thread asked 'what is free flight ?'. I can't blame them, as who new to model aircraft would want a 'stick and tissue box', when they can buy a scale looking fighter, even a jet, (wow!), that they can 'control'.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,442 Posts
Oh, exactly, no plane is crash proof. But, having flown the FB Stratos a lot, I find it to be so easy to fly that crashing it is difficult for me to imagine. I also don't understand when someone totals a HZ Champ. But, I guess some just get this flying RC business better than others.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:43 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
3,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
Some reports are silly. A few weeks ago I got reported for calling myself an idiot. And I didn't even know I was that sensitive.

You gotta laugh. Being a moderator is a thankless job and then you make silly mistakes. They're doing the best they can and without them it would be more chaos around here than there is.

I didn't know you were that sensitive myself. I'll have to be careful around you or I might offend myself too! Then I'd have to report myself.

Hey guys, if you think moderating is easy try it for a bit. It'll wear you down. Thanks to our moderators who just aren't paid enough to go through what they have to do. I think we ought to urge RC Groups to double their pay.

Hey, one thing you can do is my trick. Build a Slow Stick after a year of flying micros. I got an exaggerated idea of how a Slow Stick on maiden might handle a tight place to fly. Felt like a bee in a bottle and it didn't look too pretty either. Got away with no damage but a broken prop, so I fared better than I deserved, My daughter took the video and posted it. "Credit" for the name is hers:
It's a bird- It's a plane- IT CRASHED! (3 min 8 sec)
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Sep 14, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:45 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,765 Posts
I appreciate you not playing your favorite song (which probably isn't mine) throughout the video.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:05 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,443 Posts
Interesting video of that Slow Stick RR, have you ever thought of adding radio control to it ?
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:46 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
3,601 Posts
Darn, I forgot to add the lousy song! Actually it's my daughter's video so SHE forgot to add a lousy song. Just what we need: another kamikaze "Danger Zone" RC video.

The video kind of highlights what I said in a thread on CG: that CG is subjective to some degree. Here you can see that the plane is happy, but I am not because the CG is too far back for my abilities at the time. Working with a DX5e and no expo and a very responsive plane in a small area was not what I needed that day. CG further forward wouldn't have helped me too much either because the plane wouldn't be as maneuverable for that tiny space. Any fool could see there was no room to set up a landing approach or set radio trims. Not me though!

@eflightray Radio control????!!!! Where would the fun be in THAT?
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Sep 15, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:13 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
I appreciate you not playing your favorite song (which probably isn't mine) throughout the video.
This.

Though to be fair, perhaps Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries' might have soothed some of the dizziness. I had to hold my head still in my hands afterwards. Also suitably 'politically incorrect' given the aircraft markings and it's fate.

cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
With great ability, anything is possible. Never underestimate the ingenuity of the uninitiated!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e03F...layer_embedded
For one, they were flying too close to spectators and the automobiles. If he had stepped out another 65 yards, would not have hit the vehicle let alone terrorize the spectators. Safety first.

Also, it takes practice to learn to not overcontrol, a common beginner's error.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper