HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:29 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
No i don't recall making any such assertion. Checked the page to be sure too.
Good, we both agree that Wikipedia is an acurite reference for this discussion.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Nov 2011
935 Posts
No crab in a cross wind? Gerry get a hold of yourself man! Stop, think, then type.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:42 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__
Good, we both agree that Wikipedia is an acurite reference for this discussion.
I don't know what that means but no I don't think Wikipedia is known for accuracy. Pretty much exactly what I said. I did not say anything about any particular article that hasn't been posted.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:55 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
1,710 Posts
You all are cracking me up. Ok I get it. A crab not a slip. Understood. The wind has died so much that I don't believe I can even crab this evening, but I'll give it a shot. I'm not complaining about no wind though. Now the 99+ degrees that's another thing. Best bring a big cup of ice water.
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:09 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I don't know what that means but no I don't think Wikipedia is known for accuracy. Pretty much exactly what I said. I did not say anything about any particular article that hasn't been posted.
Do you think the wiki articles concerning aerodynamics are acurite? I do, having read many of them, I could not find any inaccuracies. They appear to be well written and well referenced.

Anyway, sounds like the op now understands the difference between crab and slip and why a 3ch plane cannot do the latter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:52 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
No crab in a cross wind? Gerry get a hold of yourself man! Stop, think, then type.
Not what I meant and you know it.

Still waiting for videos of 3ch planes (elevator, rudder throttle) in a sideslip.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Nov 2011
935 Posts
Gerry I do know that you know, but this is a public forum and if I let it go then people might have gotten the wrong idea.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Last edited by Logan4169; Sep 08, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:45 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
Gerry I do know that you know, but this is a public forum and if let it go then people might have gotten the wrong idea.
I've added clarification, so, hopefully, no one will get confused.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,710 Posts
I tried last evening, but there was no wind at all. Today I went out to the club field and it was windier than heck, but I didn't bring the cub.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:14 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
I tried last evening, but there was no wind at all. Today I went out to the club field and it was windier than heck, but I didn't bring the cub.
Funny how that works huh?
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:00 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
This is an interesting topic to me because I have been asked to design a first airplane trainer. I just wish you guys could discuss this without all the butthurt.

My initial belief was that people should learn with four channels, but if for no other reason than marketing, possibly a three channel would be a better choice.

Here are my pros and cons: Four channels fly better, especially in wind. Three channels are easier to fly. Four channels are more expensive to make and more difficult to repair. Three channels can be made more crash resistant. Three channels are more commonly advised as first airplane, therefore the beginner will more likely be looking for that and more people would be suggesting it.

Something that I have not seen mentioned here is the fact that people learn to fly differently now than they did a few years ago. These days most people learn on simulators for both model and full scale. Because of this trend it is possible that beginners will eventually start leaning towards four channels as their first real life model. One thing is certain, the vast majority now learn on their own without the traditional instructor/buddy-box.

I have still not fully decided which way to go on this. I learned to fly with ailerons so I have a bias. My personal aircraft all use ailerons, but this thread has shown me that this may not be best choice for everyone.
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:03 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
You don't need any wind to demonstrate a sideslip. But, like I said, don't waste your time trying, as it's impossible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:22 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,859 Posts
To hot, too windy, not enough wind, forgot something. All good excuses, but I use them to go fly, not to get out of it.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
To hot, too windy, not enough wind, forgot something. All good excuses, but I use them to go fly, not to get out of it.
Oh I flew! Just last evening there wasn't enough wind to perform a crab with the Cub. Today it was windy, but got a few flights in. Wind generally doesn't ground me unless it's out of control wind. As far as the heat. That's something you just learn to put up with in Texas.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,710 Posts
@Gerry_

I understand that the sideslip is not what I've been doing. To perform the crab. I need wind.