HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
935 Posts
And if you are getting 50 degrees of crab, you should be flying a kite, not a Cub.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:42 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
And if you are getting 50 degrees of crab, you should be flying a kite, not a Cub.
Maybe not 50

Ok, there's a 6mph out there this evening. I really wanted to fly my Ultimate and T-34, but I'll break out the Cub and try to get some video

I'm not trying to be a dumas here at all. I've only been flying roughly a year as I said, but I've been in the aviation business for a long time. What I'm doing is not difficult, but YES the plane is traveling sideways.
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:52 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
Maybe not 50

Ok, there's a 6mph out there this evening. I really wanted to fly my Ultimate and T-34, but I'll break out the Cub and try to get some video

I'm not trying to be a dumas here at all. I've only been flying roughly a year as I said, but I've been in the aviation business for a long time. What I'm doing is not difficult, but YES the plane is traveling sideways.
Have you understood what I said regards slip and crab. If not, have a search for definitions of these terms on the Internet
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:55 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__
Have you understood what I said regards slip and crab
It doesn't matter... you said it was impossible, therefore it must be done. There is no way around it now, you are going to see the impossible on video.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Nov 2011
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
Maybe not 50

Yes, at an angle to the flight path over the ground.

Interestingly, the only aircraft that can NOT crab or slip is a balloon. Side slip is a different matter though, and while I agree in principle that 3 ch. birds can't be slipped, the word impossible is truly out of place here.
Last edited by Logan4169; Sep 07, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:59 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
It doesn't matter... you said it was impossible, therefore it must be done. There is no way around it now, you are going to see the impossible on video.
I won't see it, but the uploader will. All I will see is a 3ch plane crabbing across the ground due to a side wind component.

No need for anyone to shoot from the hip when places like Wikipedia have all the information needed to understand what's going on.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:03 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,895 Posts
Quote:
Yes, at an angle to the flight path over the ground.

Interestingly, the only aircraft that can NOT crab is a balloon. Side slip is a different matter though, and while I agree in principle that 3 ch. birds can't be slipped, the word impossible is truly out of place here.
Ok, I'll grant you that a bent up 3ch plane can side slip, but it want fly straight any more than a straight 3ch plane can side slip.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Sep 07, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:09 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,895 Posts
Quote:
the word impossible is truly out of place here.
Is it possible for 2+2 to equal 5? No, it's not and it's the same with aerodynamic laws.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Nov 2011
935 Posts
Right, I was also thinking of the fact then when the rudder is first introduced, the immediate reaction of the aircraft is to slip, which sets up the differences between the wings that result in the roll. Sketchy? Absolutely, but it does make "impossible" an inappropriate word.
Then there is the thrust offset angle, which....

You get the idea.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:17 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,895 Posts
Quote:
Right, I was also thinking of the fact then when the rudder is first introduced, the immediate reaction of the aircraft is to slip, which sets up the differences between the wings that result in the roll. Sketchy? Absolutely, but it does make "impossible" an inappropriate word.
Then there is the thrust offset angle, which....

You get the idea.
[EDIT in still air or a head/tailwind] Can you fly a 3ch plane along the runway centreline, with the nose pointing in a different direction? No, you can't, not for more than a moment or unless it's all bent up. Is it worth introducing such nebulous examples into these kinds of discussions?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Sep 08, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:18 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
I won't see it, but the uploader will. All I will see is a 3ch plane crabbing across the ground due to a side wind component.

No need for anyone to shoot from the hip when places like Wikipedia have all the information needed to understand what's going on.
Ah yes, Wikipedia.. well known as a paragon of accuracy
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
935 Posts
Gerry post 160 is an example of exactly what you CAN do, that is crab. You can not slip!
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:22 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Ah yes, Wikipedia.. well known as a paragon of accuracy
Are you saying that the descriptions of these aerodynamic conditions, as explained on Wikipedia, are wrong? The last time I checked them they were bang on.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:26 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Are you saying that the descriptions of these aerodynamic conditions, as explained on Wikipedia, are wrong? The last time I checked them they were bang on.
No i don't recall making any such assertion. Checked the page to be sure too.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:26 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,895 Posts
Quote:
Gerry post 160 is an example of exactly what you CAN do, that is crab. You can not slip!
You know what I meant. You can't fly down the centreline in a crosswind , blah blah blah...heading same as course, blah blah,
RCG Plus Member