HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:16 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
That's not true. I can slip in my 3 ch Cub. Using mainly rudder and throttle input.
How do you hold the down wing up when you do? On the face of it, the situation seems not possible. Crab happens when the induced bank caused by the rudder is cancelled by opposite aileron. This levels the plane while the rudder yaws it to the correct side. What am I missing there? How can your throttle do the job of ailerons to level the plane?

I can understand if you're using engine torque, but then you could only crab one way and it would only be at one speed. After all, too much throttle and you aren't descending any more.

Hey, I'm calling bullschnitzel and requiring a video on this one. Hope you prove me wrong!
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
How do you hold the down wing up when you do? On the face of it, the situation seems not possible. Crab happens when the induced bank caused by the rudder is cancelled by opposite aileron. This levels the plane while the rudder yaws it to the correct side. What am I missing there? How can your throttle do the job of ailerons to level the plane?

I can understand if you're using engine torque, but then you could only crab one way and it would only be at one speed. After all, too much throttle and you aren't descending any more.

Hey, I'm calling bullschnitzel and requiring a video on this one. Hope you prove me wrong!
You have to be pointed directly into the wind and use the rudder for direction and throttle to maintain altitude. The dihedral on my Cub keeps it generally level. I'll look through may videos. I may have a shot in there. There's a couple guys on here(RCG) that have seen it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that can perform this.
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:13 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold wombat View Post
I see a pattern here. Almost every time someone says "it can't be done", someone with more skill steps up and shows otherwise. Just goes to show there is always someone cleverer than "me". Reminds me to always be a little humble in my achievements.
The word impossible and can't be done are only said by those who haven't tried hard enough.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:48 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,154 Posts
Quote:
You have to be pointed directly into the wind and use the rudder for direction and throttle to maintain altitude. The dihedral on my Cub keeps it generally level. I'll look through may videos. I may have a shot in there. There's a couple guys on here(RCG) that have seen it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that can perform this.
I'm looking forward to seeing this!

I'll have to get a motor for my Vapor and check that out. The Vapor, being so light and flying so slow exaggerates all the characteristics of other planes and does it nice and slowly so you can figure out what's happening. Any excuse to fly the thing is a good thing anyhow.

Might be a good Slow Stick project too. I'm interested in whether this could be used in a crosswind situation to crab toward the runway so the plane is flying one direction but will roll the other on contact with the ground--just like a 4-channel would do.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:47 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

So it's <blip>, banked far enough? No, blip it again, yes, leave it alone. Coming out of the bank <blip> is she level? No, blip it again, too far, blip it back, yes, leave it alone. It's not smooth but it works great.
Blimey, that reminds me of my blip single channel blip and then reed days, blip when we just had switches blip, not sticks giving proportional control.

Beginners need teaching about setting up the models control movement so that they don't, (can't ?), over control. Most manufacturers recommendations for control throws are just too much for a first time beginner, and I doubt many of them discuss setting the rate switches, (if the Tx supplied has any).
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:05 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,942 Posts
Quote:
That's not true. I can slip in my 3 ch Cub. Using mainly rudder and throttle input.
No you can't. That is impossible to do with only rudder, elevator and throttle..
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,145 Posts
With the reaction I got I'm wondering if were talking about the same thing. I'm not a very experienced pilot. Roughly a year under my belt. By slip. I mean a crosswind where the plane is actually flying sideways. I think you guys in vision me flying side ways down the middle of the runway. I'm usually coming in at an angle, but the plane is flying sideways until over the runway where I let it down. If the wind is right I can practically stop the plane in the air.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:18 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,942 Posts
Quote:
With the reaction I got I'm wondering if were talking about the same thing. I'm not a very experienced pilot. Roughly a year under my belt. By slip. I mean a crosswind where the plane is actually flying sideways. I think you guys in vision me flying side ways down the middle of the runway. I'm usually coming in at an angle, but the plane is flying sideways until over the runway where I let it down. If the wind is right I can practically stop the plane in the air.
That's just the wind affecting your ground track. A side slip is when the aircraft's nose is pointing in a different direction it it's vector. This shows the importance of everyone understanding standard terminology.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Quote:
Yes sir, this is actually a problem with the definitions and not the in-air behavior that you see.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,145 Posts
I'm trying to find a video. I'll have my wife shoot one if I can.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:23 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,942 Posts
Quote:
I'm trying to find a video. I'll have my wife shoot one if I can.
No need, we understand what you saw and how you have misinterpreted it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,145 Posts
so help me out here. I slip my 4 ch planes as well with a crosswind. The track is straighter. More down the middle of the runway. With my 3ch Cub. The nose is pointed say at a 50 degree angle away from the direction the plane is traveling. So the plane is flying sideways. I have to approach at more of an angle, but whats the difference?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Quote:
so help me out here. I slip my 4 ch planes as well with a crosswind. The track is straighter. More down the middle of the runway. With my 3ch Cub. The nose is pointed say at a 50 degree angle away from the direction the plane is traveling. So the plane is flying sideways. I have to approach at more of an angle, but whats the difference?
Slip is when the aircraft is flying at an angle relative to the air stream, crab is when the center line of the aircraft is pointing at an angle relative to its ground track.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:32 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,942 Posts
Quote:
No, you can't do that with a 3ch plane because you can't apply opposite rudder and aileron.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:34 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
Slip is when the aircraft is flying at an angle relative to the air stream, crab is when the center line of the aircraft is pointing at an angle relative to its ground track.
Exactly. cwolfe's 3ch plane is just crabbing over the ground due to the crosswind component.
RCG Plus Member