HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:31 PM
Which way is up?
stuball56's Avatar
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Discussion
Whats up with no ailerons on trainers?

I am learning, so far only on RF. I have built a Polaris, but am getting a trainer first. So why are there trainers with 3 channels? Rudder and elevator only, no ailerons? Seems like if you trained and learned on a 3 channel, then when you go to 4 you wont have a clue on how to control the aircraft using ailerons. I just think for me, anyway, it is far better to have a trainer that is a full 4 channels. I am torn between the Flyzone Switch or the Nexstar Mini EP. Both have thier advantages and disadvantages. I really like both actualy.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:53 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
C₄H₁₀'s Avatar
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,528 Posts
This could get interesting...

The rudder on a 3-channel trainer with adequate dihedral actually achieves pretty much the same effect as ailerons. The yawing action directly produces a bank. In fact, many trainers can be rolled over completely using rudder alone.

When the functions on the radio are placed on the correct sticks, transitioning to an aileron plane is pretty simple. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking there's an "aileron" stick and a "rudder" stick and this results in them placing rudder on the left stick (in Mode 2) even when they're flying a rudder-only ship where the rudder is the primary roll control.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:00 PM
Registered User
pda4you's Avatar
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I am learning, so far only on RF. I have built a Polaris, but am getting a trainer first. So why are there trainers with 3 channels? Rudder and elevator only, no ailerons? Seems like if you trained and learned on a 3 channel, then when you go to 4 you wont have a clue on how to control the aircraft using ailerons. I just think for me, anyway, it is far better to have a trainer that is a full 4 channels. I am torn between the Flyzone Switch or the Nexstar Mini EP. Both have thier advantages and disadvantages. I really like both actualy.
Because they are cheaper.

Add another to your list - the Apprentice.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-radio-EFL2725

If you want a bit smaller the Alpha would be good too:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...rt-pnp-EFL2875

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:07 PM
Kamikaze Ace
Glacier Girl's Avatar
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,387 Posts
Or you end up like I did. I learned with a three channel Cub, with rudder and elevator on the right stick. Learning ailerons wasn't that bad of a thing, as the ailerons were on the right stick, and the rudder got moved to the left.

I still dumb thumb on occasion on the ground during taxi. I'll revert to thinking the rudder is back on the right stick and I'll be hammering on the right stick trying to turn the bird.

Banks like heck but won't turn worth a darn.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:09 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,726 Posts
Another one! I'm taking a break from this one. C4H10, you're the one. You can handle it better than I can.

I'm outta this one.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:12 PM
Space power
cfircav8r's Avatar
United States, IA, Hampton
Joined May 2012
313 Posts
Aileron equiped planes tend to have a quicker roll response and less self righting ability. When you increase the self righting ability by increasing wing dihedral and incidence you start to make the ailerons less effective and the rudder more effective. Most small trainers are designed to easly self right and therefore the rudder is the most effective means of control. It also is less costly and easier to manufacture. Adding ailerons to a small light weight wing require added strengthening and therefore weight as well as more complexity.
cfircav8r is online now Find More Posts by cfircav8r
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:00 PM
Registered User
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
3-channel (rudder, elevator and throttle) trainer with dihedral makes it simple, and give you one more second for correcting it back when you over control your trainer. It could correct back gradually by itself if you don't bank it too hard, and it's easy to repair at least.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:54 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I am learning, so far only on RF. I have built a Polaris, but am getting a trainer first. So why are there trainers with 3 channels? Rudder and elevator only, no ailerons? Seems like if you trained and learned on a 3 channel, then when you go to 4 you wont have a clue on how to control the aircraft using ailerons. I just think for me, anyway, it is far better to have a trainer that is a full 4 channels. I am torn between the Flyzone Switch or the Nexstar Mini EP. Both have thier advantages and disadvantages. I really like both actualy.
Please do a little research. There's a clue out there IF YOU LOOK...So far you're missing even a hint of a clue, NO offence...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:03 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Another one! I'm taking a break from this one. C4H10, you're the one. You can handle it better than I can.

I'm outta this one.
Nobody will ever give me an honest answer why they do this, but I'm fascinated by these questions. Not so much by the answers, but by the popularity. You would think there could never be such a thing as a popular question, because once it's been answered ten thousand times, there is no point in anyone ever asking it again, and yet, those questions which have the most answers available right on Google, still seem to be wicked popular questions to ask. It doesn't make any sense.

So, please enlighten us... why did you ask this question? Was it a matter of getting an answer specifically for you, or did you have trouble finding the answer, or what?

My personal take on the phenomenon is that people are simply trying to start a conversation in which they are the focus of the group. Sometimes that's a good way to introduce yourself to the community... but it doesn't make a great first impression.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:16 PM
Registered User
ny_hawk's Avatar
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
It's a typical noob question which is why it gets asked all the time..

The answers are more whacky IMO.

Full scale planes don't offer "3 channel" training...
ny_hawk is offline Find More Posts by ny_hawk
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:21 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
That's because riding on your average three channel plane would make Chuck Yeager puke
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:25 PM
Registered User
ny_hawk's Avatar
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
That's because riding on your average three channel plane would make Chuck Yeager puke
I'll go along with that...
ny_hawk is offline Find More Posts by ny_hawk
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:23 PM
Space power
cfircav8r's Avatar
United States, IA, Hampton
Joined May 2012
313 Posts
That and no one learns without training.
cfircav8r is online now Find More Posts by cfircav8r
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:30 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,726 Posts
Well, part of the reason is the different rhythm of a radio control airplane compared to a full size plane. The other week there was a crash of a commercial jet liner. They were stalling and crashing for five minutes and never realized it. Crashing an RC plane takes a second and a half and the entire flight is over in five minutes most of the time.

Roll rates on full size planes are sedate compared to RC planes. We simply have things happening 10 to a hundred times faster. That means that what works for training a full size pilot just won't work for RC. It's like waltzing to Led Zeppelin or Firewind.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:15 PM
Which way is up?
stuball56's Avatar
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Nobody will ever give me an honest answer why they do this, but I'm fascinated by these questions. Not so much by the answers, but by the popularity. You would think there could never be such a thing as a popular question, because once it's been answered ten thousand times, there is no point in anyone ever asking it again, and yet, those questions which have the most answers available right on Google, still seem to be wicked popular questions to ask. It doesn't make any sense.

So, please enlighten us... why did you ask this question? Was it a matter of getting an answer specifically for you, or did you have trouble finding the answer, or what?

My personal take on the phenomenon is that people are simply trying to start a conversation in which they are the focus of the group. Sometimes that's a good way to introduce yourself to the community... but it doesn't make a great first impression.
And I can't figure out for the life of me what value of any kind your post adds. Why did you post it? Why did you take so much time out of your life to post such unhelpful drivel? Why don't you "enlighten" us, you know it all genius you. And finaly, why don't you go fly a KITE?
Edit: Oh, I see "Rocket Programmer" as your title, so that explains it, you ARE way smarter than anyone else.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Reversing ailerons with dual aileron setup on DX6i ejohn Radios 3 Oct 01, 2012 12:03 PM
Discussion About to put ailerons on my radian. What do I need? (Servos, etc) qwerty11 Electric Plane Talk 10 Jun 05, 2012 11:24 AM
Question Whats up with the 'Q' and 'S' on the Tx Sculptor Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 9 Mar 30, 2012 04:41 PM
Discussion Tuff Trainer in a Tree... Teacher and Dad's Neighbor's Brother Shows up... what a day DJO Electric Plane Talk 19 Mar 14, 2012 07:15 PM
Discussion Help setting up v-tail function with Eclipse 7 - no ailerons robh Hitec/Multiplex USA 5 May 23, 2009 10:56 AM