Great stuff!
dave102269 is online now Find More Posts by dave102269
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:28 PM
Mickey from Orlando. Really.
Joined Nov 2004
3,415 Posts
More progress.
Fuselage sheeting on the turtledeck using the same technique as before. This time because of the tight bend at the top I put household ammonia on the outside of the sheeting and taped it down till it dried. This was done after the sheeting was glued to the fuse side with the tape hinge method.
After it was dried and fit the shape, it was glued down.
One of the pictures shows how much tape is needed to hold the shape while the ammonia dries out.
The wing framing is underway. The bean bags were used to weight the wing down while white glue on the joints was allowed to dry. Once it dried the wing sat perfectly flat on the bench.
Fuselage is basically complete except for final sanding. Tail parts are ready for final shaping. Both wing panels are pretty far along.
The complete airframe is not too far away.
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,415 Posts
Sometimes you make a mistake and have to recover. When I put the other turtledeck sheeting on, I pulled it too tight and it bowed in in a few spots. I put some filler on, and the shape was fine, but I just wasn't satisfied with it...
Soooo.... I ripped it off and did it again.
Pictures show before and after and the big pieces stuck together.
Fuselage is complete now.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:17 AM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,774 Posts
Spectacular!!!
How (did) do you determine the proper tension when hit the sheeting with ammonia? I imagine it has more give when shot with the ammonia, for the easier flexing of the shape (better contouring)?
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Nov 2004
3,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d View Post
Spectacular!!!
How (did) do you determine the proper tension when hit the sheeting with ammonia? I imagine it has more give when shot with the ammonia, for the easier flexing of the shape (better contouring)?
Well in this case I let the ammonia dry, then the part stays in the correct shape, so no tension is really required.
The mistake I made was trying to close the seam in the top by pulling the sheeting together. I failed to notice that between the bulkheads I was pulling too much and it basically pulled the sheeting taught between the fuse sides and the center ridge. Across the bulkheads was fine, but it dipped in between. I didn't make this mistake with the first piece since I just let it fall wherever on the centerline, so I didn't pull on it at all as it too was already molded to the correct shape with the ammonia.
When I made the new piece I cut it to shape from the outline of the laser cut part so I had the exact shape. Then I put ammonia on it and taped in place on top of the existing sheeting that I was going to remove, in effect using it as a mold.
Once the ammonia dried, I had a curved piece of sheeting that matched the fuse sides and the centerline with no dips in between. Then I tore the old sheeting off, cleaned it up a bit with sandpaper, and just glued the new sheeting in place. Since it was already molded to the proper shape, it was just a matter of truing up the center line and gluing it down.
There is benefit in the ammonia/molding method in that once dried, the wood takes on the new shape and basically requires no tension to glue down. This drastically reduces the chance that the sheeting tension will pull a warp in the surface. I plan to do the same with the LE sheeting on the wing.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:59 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,392 Posts
I like the bean bag idea. I'm always looking around the workshop in a panic for weight....pop cans, pliers..... Ill have to make some bean bags!
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich View Post
I like the bean bag idea. I'm always looking around the workshop in a panic for weight....pop cans, pliers..... Ill have to make some bean bags!
Aquarium gravel, old socks and zip ties. Can't beat the cost.
I made then for shooting rests for my scouts, but discovered how useful they were in the workshop. Also work great for holding airplanes parts and airplanes while you work on them.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,415 Posts
More wing progress.
The sheeting had some ammonia brushed on and was held in place to dry. Then the sheeting was CA'd on. Same deal on the other side. The wing was held down with sandbags and the LE glued on.
My finishing on the LE is as follows. First I use a razor plane to trim the LE stock down close to the sheeting. I basically continue the line of the sheeting. Then this is sanded with the long block till the seam is smooth. Then I true things up by looking down the square corners on the LE, using the long t-bar sander. Once I'm satisfied with this then I use the "shoe-shine" technique with a strip of 200 grit paper on the leading edge to make it perfectly round.
On to the other panel.
I did get the motor fitted, and the cowl rough cut to shape just to see how things line up.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:26 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,774 Posts
looks beautiful, Mickey!
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Nov 2004
3,415 Posts
More progress. The second wing panel went together like the first. Same technique with the leading edge, yada, yada. Somewhere along the way I adjusted the fit on the wing tube supports on both wings with the 1/4" round sander. Both wings slide on very nicely now. The building jigs have been removed from the ribs and the ribs sanded with the long tbar sander in preparation for the cap strips. The whole wing was given a once over with thinned white glue. BTW I found some convenient white glue with an applicator that works great for this purpose : http://www.amazon.com/DELUXE-MATERIA...er+phatic+glue
It comes with a little needle tip, perfect for applying glue beads.
Pictures show the parts stuck together. I'm going off the plans a little next to make sure that the wing roots seat properly on the fuselage sides. I will document this as I go.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,415 Posts
Off the reservation for a bit...
This isn't in the instructions but I wanted this part to fit right. I like for the wing/fuselage joint to be very neat. I don't want air leaks that make the airplane fly unpredictably.
Notice in the first few pictures that the fit near the LE is ok, but at the TE it doesn't flush up. Instead of putting the sheeting on with the wing off the fuse according to instructions I put it on while the wing was on the fuse. First the lower sheeting was glued on up near the spar, then the wing mounted. Next the root rib was held down tight to the fuse and the sheeting tacked in place. Then the wing was removed and the sheeting glued down well. The top sheeting just gets put on off the wing and sanded smooth to the root rib.
The result is a nice wing fuse fit.
The aileron was started. I build them matched to the wing to make up for minor construction differences. The left aileron and left wing get labeled at this point and stay together from now on.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,415 Posts
Almost completely framed up now.
Pictures show the check on the leading edge and the framed up aileron.
Also a couple of pictures that show checking the aileron hinge line/gap, a rough sanded wheel pant and two pictures showing the alignment check on the wing from the top and the front (comparing two leading edges for one continuous straight line).

TTFN
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:30 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,091 Posts
Very nice! She is really coming along nicely. Thanks for taking such great photos and for the tips.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,415 Posts
Thanks. Glad to know you're getting something out of it!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:20 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,091 Posts
You bet! I may not say something all the time, but I am ejoying your build.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer