Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:26 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Discussion
Micro 3D Profile Plane Recommendations?

Hi All,

With the E-Flite UMX Extra 300 discontinued what are people flying for small indoor/outdoor 3D planes. Dynamic Foamy? HK? Possibly larger Twisted Hobbys offerings? I'm looking for something for outdoors in calm winds and small spaces. I'm especially interested in EPP, and would go a little bigger than the UMX if it means EPP durability. All suggestions are welcome!

eltreato
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:17 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
For indoor, if you have the electronic from an Extra or other ultra-micro, the Dynamic Foamy Yak-55 is really awesome. Very close to the Extra 300. Assembly is relatively fast. Sure enough, it's like the Extra, so we're not talking EPP here. But the combination of mylar (or whatever film they use) and foam is relatively resilient. If you add a bit of carbon fiber to the leading edge of the wings, the Yak will last a while. And even if you break it, the kits are relatively cheap.

For a 3D EPP, usually, you have to go close to 30 inches wingspan before you can truly enjoy them. You don't get the light feeling anymore, but sure enough, they are flyable outside in little wind. Won't suggest anything, since I believe all the one I have are now discontinued!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:45 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Rumor has it twisted hobbys will be coming out with a micro crack yak in a 20" for UMX gear......... I'm not more than 50% sure so don't take my word for it. Just keep an eye out.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Feb 2006
77 Posts
This sounds cool. My little t28 has fought it final battle today Its been repaired, taped, glued so many times now it seemed to not be flying quite right lately. I fixed it up again and took it out to this farm field not far from the house to test. I installed my 500mah cell and up she went, didnt feel right. Battery came loose and was hanging from the life line. That big 500mah cell swinging around did all kinds of funny stuff to the poor plane until it finally came down hard in the dirt. The field was just plowed recently. I didnt know dirt could be so deep and fine haha, lost my flip flops in it, it was almost like walking in fresh snow. Found my poor t28 sitting in a 10" deep dirt crater. Smashed bad, and absolutley filthy. Prob going to order new t28 airframe and just go 2s with all hk elecs. Would love to clean up the t28 guts and use them in one of these little 3d micros. Was actually going to start building one tonight out of some dollar tree foam. But hell, if I can just buy one nice and cheap, ill do that.
totaldoughnut is offline Find More Posts by totaldoughnut
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Feb 2006
77 Posts
Hey Gambler. Would that little yak you mentioned work with my t28 guts and the single servo aeileron? Where can I buy it?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Feb 2006
77 Posts
Oh well. T28 dead, msr tail motor dusted, waiting for parts to repower my harbor freight p51, never finished my scratchbuild sumo yet, never finished my balsa rubber conversion build, and dont want to bang up my pretty little champ this late. Guess its time for some phoenix haha. I need more backup planes .
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldoughnut View Post
Hey Gambler. Would that little yak you mentioned work with my t28 guts and the single servo aeileron? Where can I buy it?
You can buy new aileron servos (short- or long-throw) for $13.50 each from HH, if you buy a model that needs two of them.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:23 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Rumor has it twisted hobbys will be coming out with a micro crack yak in a 20" for UMX gear......... I'm not more than 50% sure so don't take my word for it. Just keep an eye out.
This would be great, especially if it were EPP, though I'd expect for that it would need a brushless setup. I will keep an eye out for sure.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:32 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ls Thumbs View Post
You can buy new aileron servos (short- or long-throw) for $13.50 each from HH, if you buy a model that needs two of them.
I'm not sure, but I think you'd also need a motor mount and prop shaft from an Extra 300 or a 4site EFL9054, EFLU1053.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...U1080#t4-PARTS

It's weird you know, it seems like there were lots of people who loved the Extra 300, but there doesn't seem to be much talk on the forums that I can find about replacements, once people's 300s die. The Dynamicfoamy Yak-55 looks awesome, in fact I do have one unassembled squirreled away that I'll be using when the time comes, but I know it too, won't last forever. I'm surprised actually that there isn't a busy thread for these Yaks. I still think that a cheap, small yet slightly larger EPP brushless setup would be great to have in my hangar, that TH Crack Yak 20" does sound interesting...
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
You are correct that he would want the E-300 or 4-Site motor/transmission mount. The prop shaft is the same.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:44 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Instead of 2 linear servos for ailerons, a single 2g rotary servo from HK will be lighter and just as good. Get a plug from RC-connector.com

With a 1S 3D plane, every extra gram counts.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:13 AM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
320 Posts
If you are looking for a EPP plane to swap your UM gear into, Check this one out from Fancy Foam.

http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...eb9sk9epqdp070

Might try one of these for my GeeBee gear.
dynodude is offline Find More Posts by dynodude
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:47 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodude View Post
If you are looking for a EPP plane to swap your UM gear into, Check this one out from Fancy Foam.

http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...eb9sk9epqdp070

Might try one of these for my GeeBee gear.
The 23" "mini" size looks like it would be perfect for Gee Bee Gear.

i think the the Hover margin it too low with 1S planes (until geared Brushless become readily available), and recommend going to 2S. A 2S plane would be much easier to hover, and the gyro's would make it even easier.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN