Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:37 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
Build Log
Rob's CNC Hotwire foam cutter

Hi all
Well this is not so much a build log as the cutter is built, I thought I would present a series of pictures showing its construction, you never know someone might be interested
I have been interested in building a foam cutter for some time but never could settle on a design, drawer slides right through to linear rails etc, I have been watching more and more people using cncrouterparts linear rail system and thought i would base my cutter on that design.
Anyway on to the pictures, i'll add descriptions to each one
robe_uk is offline Find More Posts by robe_uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:40 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
aww **** where did the pictures go, I had 30 with descriptions, give me some time to redo. I'll post just a few pre post
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:56 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
Heres the pictures with no descriptions incase it was a time out thing
Last edited by robe_uk; Aug 31, 2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:15 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
1&2 - are cncrouterparts inspired bearing blocks for x axis.

3 - flat bar used for x axis rails, 1meter long 80mm wide and 10mm thick, heavier than I would have like but its what the local supplier had.

4 - leadscrews are M8 stainless steel thread rod, end turned down to 1/4'' for motor couplings I have.

5&6 - bearing block with skate bearing for holding lead screw.

7&8 - bearing block on the end of the rail with leadscrew installed, held by two screws going up through the rail. The leadscrew is held with nuts on each side of the bearing to keep movement to a minimum. The flat bar rail is bold on top of 40x0mm unistrut.

9 - motor on x axis coupled to leadscrew with flew coupling, dont think addition bearing support is needed at this end due to low forces required with a foam cutter. The motor mount is held same is bearing mount with screws through the rail
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:23 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
10,11&12 - Y axis bearing plate. The Y axis is using a different method for travel, it is using al extrusion with skate bearings running on their edges. I expect the extrusion will wear but guess it will be minimal due to the low forces. Two sets of bearings on one side are fixed while the single set can be tightened in to remove slack. You can see how the bearings are held and spaced with washers. Front side you can see the Y leadscrew with custom delrin nut
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:30 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
13 - Y axis motor coupled and motor mount

14&15 - top view of Y motor mount, the bolt in 15 holds the mount onto the top of the extrusion, there is a recess in the mount for the extrusion to sit into and maintain alignment with the bottom plate. The complete Y axis is held onto the x carriage with a single bolt through into the extrusion the same as the Y motor mount is held

16&17 - Y bottom plate, the bearing keeps the leadscrew smooth, the nut on the screw help hold it from pulling down on the motor coupling
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:39 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,285 Posts
Very Nice!
Ward Hagaman is offline Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:40 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
18&19 - side view of x carriage and y axis plate, the yellow part is FR4 which holds the bow wire

20 - front view of x carriage, show another delrin nut, not anti-backlash but is ok. The x bearings are bolted to a piece of 18mm mdf which has been painted with silver hammerite

21 - connector plate for the motors so that cutter can be put away easily.

22&23 - views of complete tower.

24 - two towers are bolted to top of router table
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:41 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Hagaman View Post
Very Nice!
Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:51 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
25 - simple bow, 15x15mm al tube with 10mm fibreglass rod, the rod can hold wire with good tension.

26 - custom clamp to attach power to bow

27- power supply i use, run at 2amp seems to work for me.

28,29&30 - custom control box with hobbycnc hotwire controller, no longer made, i dont use the bow function yet.

31-33 couple of things i cut to test the cutter.

thats a quick summery of the pictures, feel free the ask
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:56 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,397 Posts
FWIW, you can edit your post with the photos (click the Edit button in the lower right corner of that post), click the Go Advanced button, click the Manage Attachments button under the text box, and edit the photo captions. The text will show up under each photo in the post, as well as when viewing the attachments individually.
Wazmo is offline Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:21 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmo View Post
FWIW, you can edit your post with the photos (click the Edit button in the lower right corner of that post), click the Go Advanced button, click the Manage Attachments button under the text box, and edit the photo captions. The text will show up under each photo in the post, as well as when viewing the attachments individually.
Nice one, done now