HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Discussion
Skysurfer / Bixler: how get new leads from motor to ESC?

I have installed new motor and ESC in my Skysurfer v1. I have soldered some extension cables with 3,5mm bullet connectors. Anyone done the same and can explain how to get the new leads from the nacelle (by the CNC motor mount I have installed) to the fuselage? There is a channel for the leads, but the leads seem to get stuck where there is an opening in the "ceiling" of the fuse. Please advice!
Wiciman is offline Find More Posts by Wiciman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:58 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,382 Posts
Have you tried using a piece of string to pull the leads through? Kinda like you do with a servo lead inside a wing.

Tape the leads in a staggered order to the string, run the string down the channel, then use the string to pull your leads down through.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Have you tried using a piece of string to pull the leads through? Kinda like you do with a servo lead inside a wing.

Tape the leads in a staggered order to the string, run the string down the channel, then use the string to pull your leads down through.
Thanx good advice but tried to no avail... Seems the last turn down to the fuse is too tight inside the channel.

Has anyone tried drilling an inspection hatch from the top down just where this turn is, facilitating the last step?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:19 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,692 Posts
I use a bit of stiff 22 gauge copper wire to pull leads through. It can usually be bent into a shape that will help it get round difficult corners, and is then rigid enough that it can be pushed round the bend once it gets round the obstruction. Fold over the end into a loop first, so it won't simply skewer itself into the foam at the bend. Try starting at the end nearest to the obstruction.

P.S. Obviously too late now, but in the future you should use the old leads to pull the new leads through -- solder the ends together and the new leads will pull in as you pull the old leads out
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:26 AM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Thanx will try!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:41 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,693 Posts
Did you try puting a weight on the string. A small lead pellet CA'd on might follow the channel.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:43 AM
Certified Codger
NE Texas
Joined Jan 2008
557 Posts
I just solved a similar problem on my Wild Hawk by using a heavy gauge heated wire to melt a larger channel from the rear of the cockpit to the motor housing through the fuselage area above the wing. The original two small diameter wires were replaced by three much larger diameter wires for a brushless motor, and the channel was just too small. I was able to bring the wires out at the front of the motor housing, just where they needed to be.

wingspann is offline Find More Posts by wingspann
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:39 AM
Certified Codger
NE Texas
Joined Jan 2008
557 Posts
A note of caution about using a hot wire to melt foam... DO NOT BREATHE THE SMOKE from that foam. It's bad stuff. Be sure to arrange for very good ventilation if you use this technique.
wingspann is offline Find More Posts by wingspann
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Thanx for all your advice. However after 30 mins of trying the various approaches I gave up and opted for this solution. I simply heatshrinked the three wires together and cut a small opening in the canopy, attached some velcro to the Wire and to the top of the plane, and voila:[ATTACH]Name: motor wires 1.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 139.9 KB
Description:

Name: motor wires 2.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 145.0 KB
Description: [/ATTACH]

Perhaps not the most aerodynamic or elegant of solutions, but at least this way the wires will keep cool!

This setup also allows me to rip the wires out when I want to, exchange motor ESC etc. Happy puppy! Now let's see if she flies and nothing burns up due to the longer wire lengths...
Last edited by Wiciman; Sep 01, 2012 at 01:32 AM.