Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
79 Posts
Discussion
My very first tri.

Also my very first post on rcgroups.

Thanks to david from rcexplorer.se and hallstudio's youtube channel, I am now officially addicted! so much easier to fly and incredibly nimble.

Looking forward to adding FPV.

here is a quick video on payload capability of mine, and some newbish acro flying mixed with music.

Tricopter v2.5 beer lift payload test & acro flying (3 min 26 sec)

I need some 4s....

obligatory pics:
since the photos, I've added skids, HK 8x4 props (gws were flying apart on me), soldered the low voltage wire to kk2.0, drilled the wood for easier breakage on crash, and hitec hs-82mg for the tail.

maxmus is offline Find More Posts by maxmus
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:41 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,507 Posts
Hah, what a coincidence, I'm drinking Coors Light right now!

Nice tricopter btw.
TS00 is offline Find More Posts by TS00
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:42 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,324 Posts
Nice job! have you flown RC's before?? You make it look easy. I have just finished my tricopter build and have gone through 15 props, 1 tail servo & hours of frustration and haven't gotten more than a few seconds of flight time... followed by nasty wrecks.
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Aug 2012
79 Posts
Hi, yes I have been flying for about a year or two now.

Trained a lot on a bootleg copy of realflight with a gamepad

I used to have a trex450 clone, I scrapped that due to the complexity and time required to rebuild after crashes.
Then I stuck to ground vehicles for a while, and I came across an eflite apprentice. Crashed that couple times, and upgraded bunch of things on it.
While I was browsing youtube videos, I saw hallstudio's acro videos of his tri, and loved it instantly. less complex, crash friendly, low cost, whats not to love?

I've so far gone through one tail servo, two packs of gws 8x4 props (which I think are junk for my application), and so far on the first pack of same 8x4 props that hallstudio uses, not even balanced.

It flies great, I'm sure I can tune it more, but I just have been lazy and enjoying flying it.

Thanks for the compliments gents.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:05 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,027 Posts
Really nice job. You should post some photos in the "Show Us Your Scratch Built" thread.

Rick
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:27 PM
If it flies.....I can crash it
United Kingdom, England, Preston on Stour
Joined Nov 2011
2,347 Posts
Great Tri fella.
I'm just working the best way forward for FPV and have got some great tips from the guys here.
blackbrabus is online now Find More Posts by blackbrabus
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:48 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmus View Post
Also my very first post on rcgroups.

Thanks to david from rcexplorer.se and hallstudio's youtube channel, I am now officially addicted! so much easier to fly and incredibly nimble ....

since the photos, I've added skids, HK 8x4 props (gws were flying apart on me), soldered the low voltage wire to kk2.0, drilled the wood for easier breakage on crash, and hitec hs-82mg for the tail.
I'm just about to put together my first tricopter based on exactly the same inspirations, having been away from RC for over a decade.

Could you expand on which props you went to ... not quite sure which ones you mean for HK8x4.

(These are the ones I got:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11331 and
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10046)

Also, how long did you make your arms?

Thanks for the further inspiration.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Last edited by Banjo5; Aug 31, 2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Add links to props I ordered.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Feb 2012
120 Posts
Really nice tri i like the foam on top for orientation
NYbySky is offline Find More Posts by NYbySky
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Aug 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
I'm just about to put together my first tricopter based on exactly the same inspirations, having been away from RC for over a decade.

Could you expand on which props you went to ... not quite sure which ones you mean for HK8x4.

(These are the ones I got:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11331 and
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10046)

Also, how long did you make your arms?

Thanks for the further inspiration.

cheers,
Andrew
Hi Andrew, those are the exact same props I am using currently. I was using the props rcexplorer.se was recommending :http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0055&aff=61689 but it is utter junk for aggressive flying for me, it kept flying apart on slightest hard landings, flexed and vibrated (even when balanced) on full throttle; with that said, my motor probably is too much more this prop. with dt750 i'm sure it fares better.

The props you listed, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11331 and
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10046 are the props I am using currently, and they are awesome. Super abuse friendly, and I have just threw it on without balancing on the prop adaptor and it handles the power well. Even occasional prop strikes doesn't bother it much. Tips of mine are all chipped but still kicking butt. Oh ya, I'm still on the first set of these props and I have about 15-20 packs through them.

My arms are 12" long on the front, 14" long on the rear. Why? I dunno, just worked out that way, tail looked a little short.

Foam is great for orientation, but like hallstudio's video, it saved my battery from being crushed and scraped from my motor failures caused by a broken solder on connector.

After flying tri's for a while, I flew my eflite apprentice with kk board flashed with openaero, and it just wasn't as fun. I missed the ability to stop, hover, and fly which ever orientation I wanted. I did like the 20 minute flight time tho.

One thing to not take lightly on these is SAFETY. I have some gnarly cuts on my forearm to prove it. I didn't take the time to disarm the board, and walked up to the tri. upon setting down the transmitter, I bumped the throttle and bam, about 12 tiny cuts... I now fly in heli mode on the 9x and I habitually disarm the board AND hit the throttle cut before approaching it.
Last edited by maxmus; Aug 31, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:53 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
maxmus,
thanks so much for all the good info. Good to know that I've got the right props and should be good to go. Now I just need to get building.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:18 AM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
I love the detailed shots of all your wiring and construction, thanks heaps!
AeroRoo is offline Find More Posts by AeroRoo
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Aug 2012
79 Posts
I balanced the props today for first time. They required a bit of tape to balance, but biggest difference is the amount of tail servo movement. I always had jitter and now there is almost none.

I've ordered the fatshark predator 5.8 fpv kit so I'm excited for that.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Aug 2012
79 Posts
Some updated pictures, was doing a lil product shoot so I threw in the tri

I need to cut down the motor shaft, but I still have no dremel. She flies great as is.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:11 PM
not insane; Mom had me tested
Marietta Ga.
Joined Apr 2005
818 Posts
try using clear nail polish on the props. tape can come loose. nice build. Tri's Rock
hallstudio is offline Find More Posts by hallstudio
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Aug 2012
79 Posts
Thanks hallstudio, u r the reason why I built this thing. My wife hates u. I have since moved to electrical tape, nail polish sounds like a great idea aswell. Ill try it next time.

Also I ditched the prop adapters, they kept popping off or loosening in flight, so I just pushed the prop on the shaft and ziptied both sides to the bell.