HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:31 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,338 Posts
That was a great promotional summary. It really helps to understand the flexibility.
I'm waiting for the pro.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:34 AM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Me to I want to try it on a quad
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:54 AM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
V2.1 Relesed

Here is the link and the short version of the update.....

http://www.bluelight-tech.com/Downloads.htm

V2.0 adds:
- A quick start page with standard aircraft configuration options.
- Options to invert the gyro function and invert the input control signals
- Quick up-side-down mounting option
- Flying wing and V-Tail aircraft support
- Flap modes: Normal, air-brake, flaperon with two stage programmable deployment and programmable time
- Tight turns option

V2.1 adds:
- Control surface movement with Tx stick is now identical with and without gyro function irrespective of gyro gain (static or real time set up)
- Updated procedure and PC set up s/w bug fix for trim set up
- Some smaller bug fixes

Cheers, JR
jjr2001 is offline Find More Posts by jjr2001
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, NC, Smithfield
Joined Jul 2012
450 Posts
I have a couple questions about setup on this. Im using software and firmware v2.1.
If I understood the manual correctly setting the gyros to uncommanded should cause them to go inactive when a stick input on that axis is detected. So I set all the gyros to uncommanded and hit send in the software but the unit still works with the gyros in "normal mode", in other words its fighting my stick inputs. Is this a bug, or a user error or am I completely misunderstanding how uncommanded mode should work? I would like to set it up so stick input will prevent gyro output on the axis its sent to.
My second issue is the tx match doesnt seem to be working for me. I followed the instructions to set it up in the software but I lose servo travel when the gyro is switched on. Im using a dx6, servo travel is set to 125% if that matters.
Brush Hog is online now Find More Posts by Brush Hog
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:40 PM
United States, NH, Stark
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Heading Hold, positive check on ground?

I have all my settings correct for control throws and BL-3G corrections going the correct way.

Checking the gyro on the ground by wiggling the plane around the three axes works fine.

How can I, for Certain, check the action of the Heading Hold?

I have a switch on my Futaba Tx to turn it On or Off.

However, I'm not positively certain if On is "On" or Off is "Off."

In my settings I've had to reverse the pitch and yaw channels for correct responses.

With the Heading Hold On, would rudder throws, while wiggling, be more intense?

I'm getting some strange actions here.
When I wiggle the plane around the vertical axis, the rudder responds the correct way.

After doing this for a while, and putting the plane down, and I turn the On-Off switch for Heading Hold opposite to what it was (If it was On, to Off, and vice versa), the rudder slowly (about four seconds) turns to the left. Always left, never right.

If I just barely touch the rudder control left or right, the rudder snaps immediately to center. This would also happen if I turn the BL-3G off.

So, was Heading Hold On, or Off, when this happens? Beats me.

Ted
Ted M is offline Find More Posts by Ted M
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:28 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
940 Posts
Ice Man, any news on the PRO???? My 3-axis gimbal is ready!!!!!
Do you need a Alpha or Beta tester??????:
D
Papajeff is offline Find More Posts by Papajeff
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Oct 2007
17 Posts
Guys,

I'm flight testing a BL-3G in a stock Habu. It's quite phenomenal. Take off rolls are nearly hands off even with high rates on steering. This is nearly impossible with the gyro off. In flight, pitch and yaw are great. Roll is where I have an issue. Once the model gains some decent airspeed, it starts to oscillate in the roll axis. Slowing down and it goes away. So I landed and backed the "gain" off quite a bit for the roll axis. After taking off again and gaining speed, the oscillation was gone but now I have little roll rate. We're talking less than a 1/2 roll per second. On the ground, I notice that adjusting the gains changes the rates or control surface throw. It's not a problem in pitch or yaw as I can apparently run nearly full gain without oscillation. Roll is a different story...I can only dial in about 15-30% max on the gain pot and so I loose a lot of control authority. Am I doing something wrong?
I thought I installed the latest software. Is there any way to check the firmware version loaded on the BL-3G?
Molnar142 is offline Find More Posts by Molnar142
Last edited by Molnar142; Oct 13, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:18 PM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Here is the latest firmware: V2.1 for both the software tool and the BL-3G.
http://www.bluelight-tech.com/Downloads.htm

I just loaded it myself and updated my BL-3G. If you look at the BL-3G setup page it will show the Software tool rev. You should have both matching. That is the BL-3G needs to be the 2.1 Rev also. I don't know of any way to read out the Gyro firmware rev.

Some very nice changes were made in the 2.1 version as noted above and on the website.

I have had similar experiences with both my BL-3G and Guardian on the roll rate.
Ailerons are the first to "flutter" or "oscillate" . It depends on the aircraft and the speed of flight. I simply adjust the sensitivity until they start to flutter at high speed and back it up just a bit.

Cheers, JR
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:28 PM
United States, NC, Smithfield
Joined Jul 2012
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molnar142 View Post
Guys,

I'm flight testing a BL-3G in a stock Habu. It's quite phenomenal. Take off rolls are nearly hands off even with high rates on steering. This is nearly impossible with the gyro off. In flight, pitch and yaw are great. Roll is where I have an issue. Once the model gains some decent airspeed, it starts to oscillate in the roll axis. Slowing down and it goes away. So I landed and backed the "gain" off quite a bit for the roll axis. After taking off again and gaining speed, the oscillation was gone but now I have little roll rate. We're talking less than a 1/2 roll per second. On the ground, I notice that adjusting the gains changes the rates or control surface throw. It's not a problem in pitch or yaw as I can apparently run nearly full gain without oscillation. Roll is a different story...I can only dial in about 15-30% max on the gain pot and so I loose a lot of control authority. Am I doing something wrong?
I thought I installed the latest software. Is there any way to check the firmware version loaded on the BL-3G?
Mine does the same. You can check the firmware version through the software I think its on the last or second to last advanced tab. Changing the gyro lock function to uncommanded is suppose to make it so there is no gyro input if a control stick input is used but it doesnt seem to work. I have to say Im a bit frustrated with this thing, the software is full of unneccesary bloat and I cant get the few features I do want to use to work properly.
Brush Hog is online now Find More Posts by Brush Hog
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:29 PM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Firmware Revision

Ok, I found it.

The Info page on the lower left section has a click point for the Gyro Firmware.

The About page indicates the Software Tool revision.

Latest revision is 2.1 for both.

Cheers, JR
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined Oct 2007
17 Posts
Thanks guys. I needed to install both the software and firmware to v2.1. Did that and verified the gyro is at v2.1. It is now. Looks like the rate issue is fixed. I will try a test flight in the morning.
Thx.
Molnar142 is offline Find More Posts by Molnar142
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:40 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molnar142 View Post
Guys,

Hi Molnar,

We have fixed the loss of control surface movement with version 2.1, although there will still be a loss for lower than 5 or 6 gain settings, this is fixed in v2.2. We have also added an automatic gain feature in v2.2 that then automatically backs of the gain if oscillations of round 3 or more Hz are detected. See here
you can check the firmware version in either the info tab or the upgrade tab when gyro is connected.
IceManPro is offline Find More Posts by IceManPro
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:44 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted M View Post
I have all my settings correct for control throws and BL-3G corrections going the correct way.

Checking the gyro on the ground by wiggling the plane around the three axes works fine.

How can I, for Certain, check the action of the Heading Hold?

I have a switch on my Futaba Tx to turn it On or Off.

However, I'm not positively certain if On is "On" or Off is "Off."

In my settings I've had to reverse the pitch and yaw channels for correct responses.

With the Heading Hold On, would rudder throws, while wiggling, be more intense?

I'm getting some strange actions here.
When I wiggle the plane around the vertical axis, the rudder responds the correct way.

After doing this for a while, and putting the plane down, and I turn the On-Off switch for Heading Hold opposite to what it was (If it was On, to Off, and vice versa), the rudder slowly (about four seconds) turns to the left. Always left, never right.

If I just barely touch the rudder control left or right, the rudder snaps immediately to center. This would also happen if I turn the BL-3G off.

So, was Heading Hold On, or Off, when this happens? Beats me.

Ted
Heading hold is based on gyro calculations of angle, which will drift with time. Hence when heading hold is on it is automatically exited when the control sticks are moved away from central. The heading hold feature is the same as other gyro AVCS mode but to be frank with you I don't recommend it so much due to the inherent drift when any noise is present. This vid might help ..
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:49 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Hog View Post
I have a couple questions about setup on this. Im using software and firmware v2.1.
If I understood the manual correctly setting the gyros to uncommanded should cause them to go inactive when a stick input on that axis is detected. So I set all the gyros to uncommanded and hit send in the software but the unit still works with the gyros in "normal mode", in other words its fighting my stick inputs. Is this a bug, or a user error or am I completely misunderstanding how uncommanded mode should work? I would like to set it up so stick input will prevent gyro output on the axis its sent to.
My second issue is the tx match doesnt seem to be working for me. I followed the instructions to set it up in the software but I lose servo travel when the gyro is switched on. Im using a dx6, servo travel is set to 125% if that matters.
We will check into this, if movement on the stick input it should then not engage the gyro, but only engage if no stick input is detected. Regarding the servo travel we have had an issue with servo travel changing with gain setting, mostly fixed in v2.1, but will be fixed also for low gain settings in v2.2, due to come out very shortly.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, NH, Stark
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
IceManPro: Mark:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro View Post
Heading hold is based on gyro calculations of angle, which will drift with time. Hence when heading hold is on it is automatically exited when the control sticks are moved away from central. The heading hold feature is the same as other gyro AVCS mode but to be frank with you I don't recommend it so much due to the inherent drift when any noise is present. This vid might help ..
OK, I understand what is happening now.

I just tried Heading Hold mode again, in my basement, to test rudder movement.
With HH on, the rudder stays to the right if moving the tail right, etc.

You recommend not using it.

Does this also mean NOT using the Take-Off mode (4 seconds)?

When I turn on HH, the rudder slowly moves left, and takes about 4 seconds to move about half its range. This would appear to make things worse on takeoff, not better. The plane was absolutely still when doing this testing.

Ted
Ted M is offline Find More Posts by Ted M