SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
291 Posts
Yes, we have thick copper tracks inside. We also supply gold plated cables for connection from the RC Tx to the Gyro. We recently tested to 3A. We didn't test to destruction, maybe will try that some time too. See here: http://www.bluelight-tech.com/Downlo...rrentTests.jpg
IceManPro is offline Find More Posts by IceManPro
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:26 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro View Post
Yes, we have thick copper tracks inside. We also supply gold plated cables for connection from the RC Tx to the Gyro. We recently tested to 3A. We didn't test to destruction, maybe will try that some time too. See here: http://www.bluelight-tech.com/Downlo...rrentTests.jpg
Do same test and measure voltage using a DMM at beginning and end of the resistor tracks. Use same DMM to measure the PS output voltage to make sure it matches the PS.
I'll bet 2 dozen donuts, yours will have a lower voltage drop than the EagleTree because of the better cabling you supply
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:14 AM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Ted, Please update to v1.4 of the firmware. It is important to always have the latest version. Please see Bluelight-tech website and FAQ for details how to update. Also, I see a scenario where you may get the gyro operation opposite to expected. The BL-3G ICE-MAN Gyro assumes positive yaw as a clockwise motion. hence if it detects a counter clockwise disturbance it will act so as to counter this by increasing the rudder signal, to give clockwise motion. However, if you have your sticks giving less signal to generate a clockwise motion then the gyro will still detect a counter clockwise disturbance and add some signal. With this set up the addition of signal will cause the rudder to produce a counter clockwise motion instead.This can be fixed by adjusting the invert functions of your RC transmitter, then using an inverted Gyro output as necessary (I've just tried it and it works). However, in the next s/w releases we will give the option to simply reverse the gyro operation for either pitch, roll, yaw to save this messing about. This does show that its' very importat to check the gyro motion is as expected for disturbances.

Mark
HI Mark, Just got mine set up in my SU26 and I have the same gyro correction direction issue. I do have the controls reversed in my Futaba TX. Every thing is fine except for gyro correction.

When will the next firmware be released that will allow gyro correction reversal?

One other setup note on the pots and settings in the PC tool.
I found the default gain at 2 to be a bit much for me so I set it to 1 on the advanced 2 page. Worked great. I now have a nice range for my preferred sensitivity and it is adjustable from a pot on my TX.

I also have a switch assigned to turn the gyro on and off so it meets all of my requirements but I would like to see gyro correction reversing as a part of the PCTool.

Nice system, I think I am going to like it a lot, especially on the windy days.

Cheers, JR
jjr2001 is offline Find More Posts by jjr2001
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr2001 View Post
HI Mark, Just got mine set up in my SU26 and I have the same gyro correction direction issue. I do have the controls reversed in my Futaba TX. Every thing is fine except for gyro correction.

When will the next firmware be released that will allow gyro correction reversal?

One other setup note on the pots and settings in the PC tool.
I found the default gain at 2 to be a bit much for me so I set it to 1 on the advanced 2 page. Worked great. I now have a nice range for my preferred sensitivity and it is adjustable from a pot on my TX.

I also have a switch assigned to turn the gyro on and off so it meets all of my requirements but I would like to see gyro correction reversing as a part of the PCTool.

Nice system, I think I am going to like it a lot, especially on the windy days.

Cheers, JR
Hi JR,

You can reverse the gyro function with the current version by inverting your RC transmitter signal (Invert slide switch), if you have it. Then use the alternative output of the gyro (or invert the output from the PC set up tool basic tab). However to make it easier we will release V2.0 PC s/w and V2.0 firmware (which must be used together) within a week or so.
Mark
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:38 AM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Hi JR,

You can reverse the gyro function with the current version by inverting your RC transmitter signal (Invert slide switch), if you have it. Then use the alternative output of the gyro (or invert the output from the PC set up tool basic tab). However to make it easier we will release V2.0 PC s/w and V2.0 firmware (which must be used together) within a week or so.
Mark
Thanks Mark,
I have it all set up and ready to go. Did the reversing yesterday and it works fine. My concern was that it might not work in gyro off mode. However I find that it works in all modes just fine. Took all of 3 minutes to set it up that way so we will still get the first test flight Monday morning.

The more I work with it, the more I like it. Super nice stabilizer.

Thanks again, JR
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:32 AM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
First Flight BL3G

Hi Mark, First flight went very well. Nice stabilization. Great in 2D and 3D.

I am running V1.6 FW and the PCtool is the same.

I enabled the Pot for Gyro Exact Gain Input Chan 2 and set 1.0 for pitch roll and yaw.
I enabled Gyro On/Off input 7 for pitch roll and yaw.

With this setup I have gyro control with sensitivity control and the ability to turn
the gyro off which is exactly what I need.

Great unit.

Thanks in advance, JR
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:13 PM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
Delta Wing

I received my BL-3G a few days ago and Iím trying to set it up on a delta wing. Since mixing is done through the gyro does that mean I should not mix via my transmitter? I have tried both combinations without good results. Either I have correct stick control and improper gyro control. Roll axis gyro causes elevons to raise pitch and pitch gyro causes roll correction. I can get x and y gyros to function properly but then stick is reversed. I tried alot of combinations so I'm learning alot and very impressed with this flight controller. I know its my inexperience thats at fault, so any advice would be appreciated.
deltagator is offline Find More Posts by deltagator
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:18 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltagator View Post
I received my BL-3G a few days ago and I’m trying to set it up on a delta wing. Since mixing is done through the gyro does that mean I should not mix via my transmitter? I have tried both combinations without good results. Either I have correct stick control and improper gyro control. Roll axis gyro causes elevons to raise pitch and pitch gyro causes roll correction. I can get x and y gyros to function properly but then stick is reversed. I tried alot of combinations so I'm learning alot and very impressed with this flight controller. I know its my inexperience thats at fault, so any advice would be appreciated.
Correct. The elevon mixing is done in the Guardian. Turn off elevon in your radio.

Reverse the direction on the pots to get the right direction of correction.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
With no transmitter mixing I get good correction, correct roll control with stick but elevator stick input cause left elevon to go down and right up. When I try do invert to channel 3 or 4 output it might fix pitch but then ether roll or gyro will then be incorrect
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:14 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,381 Posts
So "Guardian" is already a generic term for 3D stabilisers like Hoover and Kleenex???

I'm not sure Blue Light will be too happy with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Correct. The elevon mixing is done in the Guardian.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:50 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
So "Guardian" is already a generic term for 3D stabilisers like Hoover and Kleenex???

I guess should take a bow for creating a class of stabilizers in which all 3 axis systems fall - guardian.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:45 PM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post

Ha ha..
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:10 PM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltagator View Post
I received my BL-3G a few days ago and I’m trying to set it up on a delta wing. Since mixing is done through the gyro does that mean I should not mix via my transmitter? I have tried both combinations without good results. Either I have correct stick control and improper gyro control. Roll axis gyro causes elevons to raise pitch and pitch gyro causes roll correction. I can get x and y gyros to function properly but then stick is reversed. I tried alot of combinations so I'm learning alot and very impressed with this flight controller. I know its my inexperience thats at fault, so any advice would be appreciated.
Hi deltagator,

Thanks for your message. In fact V2.0 is just about done now, so I think the best option is to let you have a beta release which will automatically fix the issue. Just as a sneak peak I can tell you the new features of V2.0 include the following:
- Quick start page with various aircraft configurations incl. aircraft "drag 'n drop box"
- Mixing page for flying wing (delta) / V-tail and 3 different flap modes
- Input signal inversion and gyro function inversion options
- Quick up-side-down mounting option
- And throttle safety lock feature
I will post a link to the download package soon.
Mark
Last edited by IceManPro; Sep 18, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:00 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Hi deltagator,

Thanks for your message. In fact V2.0 is just about done now, so I think the best option is to let you have a beta release which will automatically fix the issue. Just as a sneak peak I can tell you the new features of V2.0 include the following:
- Quick start page with various aircraft configurations incl. aircraft "drag 'n drop box"
- Mixing page for flying wing (delta) / V-tail and 3 different flap modes
- Input signal inversion and gyro function inversion options
- Quick up-side-down mounting option
- And throttle safety lock feature
I will post a link to the download package soon.
Mark
As promised, here is the V2.0 beta release:
http://www.bluelight-tech.com/Downlo...ageV20beta.rar
..new documentation will come next week.Please update both PC set up s/w and BL-3G Gyro f/w.
Mark
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
version 2.0

Wow, it just gets better! I recommend anyone interested in this flight controller to download software and check it out.