Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajeff View Post
Mark, your 3G stabilizer looks like it will be a winner and the PRO, when it
becomes available, could become a very popular flight controller for the
multi-rotor community.

I am interested in your 3G for use as the dedicated gyro stabilizer for a 3-axis
camera gimbal. The three servos will be digital, metal gear, mini with a Torque
of: 2.0kg.cm 6V/ 1.8kg.cm 4.8V. Will your 3G be acceptable for this function
and do you recommend that it be used with it's own Li-Fe power supply?
Also, am I correct in the fact that currently all orders for your items are shipped
out of the Pacific Rim? Thank you and I look forward to your comments.

Regards,

Papa Jeff
Hi Papa Jeff,

Not practical to use the a 3 axis gyro for camera / gimbal stability since it has no reference to gravity. The ICE-MAN Pro will have two dedicated outputs (from the PC set up tool you will be able set up the end points and home position), we are working hard to get this product out asap. Looking at the specs on the D922MG Digital Metal Gear Servo 1.8kg it looks like it needs about 80mA at 5v so should be no problem if you have a bunch of these connected up. You can see our initial testing of these two outputs here:
GoPro Hero 2 video stabilization with small AHRS / IMU PCB (1 min 5 sec)

you can see it's not perfect yet, but we'll improve for product launch. Yes currently shipping out of Thailand. Have a UK distributor already and the US distributor will be on line with us within hopefully by end Oct. (Will then also support shipments from Amazon from US to US)
IceManPro is offline Find More Posts by IceManPro
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:58 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
So if I need something that will hold wings level and maintain a pitch attitude, I need the Pro?
The one that is already released is just a turbulence damper like the A3?
The Pro will offer so much more, it seems like there a quite a gap between the two. That would be the Guardian.
Please correct me if I have a misunderstanding here.
Hi Iskess,

Yes you're right. Our ICE-MAN Pro will support aircraft stability and also have two dedicated outputs for a camera gimbal so that the camera is always level.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
961 Posts
Hi Papa Jeff,

"Not practical to use the a 3 axis gyro for camera / gimbal stability since it has no reference to gravity.
The ICE-MAN Pro will have two dedicated outputs (from the PC set up tool you will be able set up the
end points and home position), we are working hard to get this product out asap. Looking at the specs
on the D922MG Digital Metal Gear Servo 1.8kg it looks like it needs about 80mA at 5v so should be no
problem if you have a bunch of these connected up. You can see our initial testing of these two outputs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark,

It is refreshing to have a Mfg. that is accommodating and tells it like it is! You are gaining a great
following and it is well deserved! Thank you for your honest comments about your 3G not being
practical for gimbal stabilization. Put me on the list for one of the first ICE-MAN Pro models! I will
be following this thread and when it becomes available, I will immediately place my order!

Papa Jeff
Papajeff is offline Find More Posts by Papajeff
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:50 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,944 Posts
Awesome! I can hardly wait until mine arrives!
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:31 PM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajeff View Post
Hi Papa Jeff,

"Not practical to use the a 3 axis gyro for camera / gimbal stability since it has no reference to gravity.
The ICE-MAN Pro will have two dedicated outputs (from the PC set up tool you will be able set up the
end points and home position), we are working hard to get this product out asap. Looking at the specs
on the D922MG Digital Metal Gear Servo 1.8kg it looks like it needs about 80mA at 5v so should be no
problem if you have a bunch of these connected up. You can see our initial testing of these two outputs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark,

It is refreshing to have a Mfg. that is accommodating and tells it like it is! You are gaining a great
following and it is well deserved! Thank you for your honest comments about your 3G not being
practical for gimbal stabilization. Put me on the list for one of the first ICE-MAN Pro models! I will
be following this thread and when it becomes available, I will immediately place my order!

Papa Jeff
Thanks Papa Jeff, honesty is always the best policy in my book.
Mark
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:37 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
I will be getting 1 or 2 as well
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Last edited by tech69x; Sep 07, 2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Word
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:00 AM
United States, NH, Stark
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Upside Down?

Many RC planes, including a T-28 I have, have all the electronics, servos, battery, etc., mounted in the underside of the plane. Upside down.

Can the gyro be mounted belly-end up? ie, upside down, but still pointed forward?

Ted
Ted M is offline Find More Posts by Ted M
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:56 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted M View Post
Many RC planes, including a T-28 I have, have all the electronics, servos, battery, etc., mounted in the underside of the plane. Upside down.

Can the gyro be mounted belly-end up? ie, upside down, but still pointed forward?

Ted
yes, you just set the proper reversing on the gyro. In this case if you were to mount it label up, then switch to label down, you reverse the rudder and the elevator, aileron will stay the same.
But when starting new, you have to check the reversing of all 3 anyway.
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyrotestpage.html
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:56 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
My blue light came in
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:27 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
yes, you just set the proper reversing on the gyro. In this case if you were to mount it label up, then switch to label down, you reverse the rudder and the elevator, aileron will stay the same.
But when starting new, you have to check the reversing of all 3 anyway.
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyrotestpage.html
I'm afraid we don't have this function yet (ie to change the direction of the gyro function w.r.t normal operational direction). This is a function that is scheduled to be added into the next s/w and f/w releases. We'll just keep it simple and have an upside down mounting option (Should be due out before the end of the month)
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:31 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
302 Posts
Quote:
My blue light came in
Cool, any issues feel free to mail me at the e-mail ID on our bluelight.com website. Don't forget to get the latest releases from the website too.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:51 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I just spent a few minutes with it and I'm also impressed. EXCELLENT documentation and SW interface. I've only scratched the surface but here are some comments
1) Very important to give an out of the box ready to fly experiance WITHOUT manditory PC connection and configuration. Couple this with a "quick start" section. Only thing needed is to set it up to analog servos because as mentioned, Digital is the default.
One other possibility is to set CH6 input to Gyro exact gain mode. That makes it more like the eagle tree system.
2) The manual shows in section 2.4.2.1 there is a check mark to enable the gyro on by default w/o a channel connected. But you have to instead uncheck the roll pitch yaw boxes or select ch7 as another function.
3) I really like the function to learn the radio stick range.
4) I'm not sure if it's a config thing but when the gyro is on, moving the sticks does not move the servo to full difflection like when the gyro is off.
5) FINALLY, a 3 axis gyro system where I can switch JUST THE RUDDER off when flying and keep Ail, ELE active. To do this just unclick Ail/Elev in the gyro on/off function in the advanced 2 tab, then resend the config.

The whole package is professional, including a screw driver, the cables etc. Maybe adding a square of good servo tape would add to it but, I think mounting is a personal preference for me.

The size of the case may present difficulty in mounting but I think this gyro if you have the space will appeal to both the simple and the complex aircraft. I had intended to put the Eagletree in my 1/4.5 scale electric bipe but I think I'll put the BlueLight instead after I get some time on it.

Like I said, I've only scratched the surface
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:06 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
302 Posts
Quote:
I just spent a few minutes with it and I'm also impressed. EXCELLENT documentation and SW interface. I've only scratched the surface but here are some comments
1) Very important to give an out of the box ready to fly experiance WITHOUT manditory PC connection and configuration. Couple this with a "quick start" section. Only thing needed is to set it up to analog servos because as mentioned, Digital is the default.
One other possibility is to set CH6 input to Gyro exact gain mode. That makes it more like the eagle tree system.
2) The manual shows in section 2.4.2.1 there is a check mark to enable the gyro on by default w/o a channel connected. But you have to instead uncheck the roll pitch yaw boxes or select ch7 as another function.
3) I really like the function to learn the radio stick range.
4) I'm not sure if it's a config thing but when the gyro is on, moving the sticks does not move the servo to full difflection like when the gyro is off.
5) FINALLY, a 3 axis gyro system where I can switch JUST THE RUDDER off when flying and keep Ail, ELE active. To do this just unclick Ail/Elev in the gyro on/off function in the advanced 2 tab, then resend the config.

The whole package is professional, including a screw driver, the cables etc. Maybe adding a square of good servo tape would add to it but, I think mounting is a personal preference for me.

The size of the case may present difficulty in mounting but I think this gyro if you have the space will appeal to both the simple and the complex aircraft. I had intended to put the Eagletree in my 1/4.5 scale electric bipe but I think I'll put the BlueLight instead after I get some time on it.

Like I said, I've only scratched the surface
Hi Melnic,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes we will make analogue the default and have it easy 'out of the box' working.
Regarding item (4) you just need to follow the range set procedure of section 2.3.3. of the user manual (note this is at release v1.8 now and available at Bluelight website)
For the "quick start" section you mention, do you think a set up wizard is required that asks the user a set of questions about what he wants to do is necessary, or just a single tab page that is visible (and the other pages invisible) is a good way to go? (Other pages can then be set to visible for advanced users).
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:45 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,865 Posts
For what it's worth I flew it for the first time today.

Results were fine but I only got in one flight clearly need to do more work on the gains and tuning.

The twin outputs on each axis are great for simplifying setup!

I also wonder if it would be an idea to have it set up out of the box for a "conservative" set of gain defaults instead of mid-range as at present.

That is:
Analog servos
Moderate gain on Roll
Low gain on Pitch
Nothing on Yaw

Then folks can start adjusting things to suit their particular needs, but if they just plugged it in and fly they couldn't go far wrong. Starts out as a conservative roll and pitch damper and move on from there.

Just a thought.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro View Post
Hi Melnic,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes we will make analogue the default and have it easy 'out of the box' working.
Regarding item (4) you just need to follow the range set procedure of section 2.3.3. of the user manual (note this is at release v1.8 now and available at Bluelight website)
For the "quick start" section you mention, do you think a set up wizard is required that asks the user a set of questions about what he wants to do is necessary, or just a single tab page that is visible (and the other pages invisible) is a good way to go? (Other pages can then be set to visible for advanced users).
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:56 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
For what it's worth I flew it for the first time today.

Results were fine but I only got in one flight clearly need to do more work on the gains and tuning.

The twin outputs on each axis are great for simplifying setup!

I also wonder if it would be an idea to have it set up out of the box for a "conservative" set of gain defaults instead of mid-range as at present.

That is:
Analog servos
Moderate gain on Roll
Low gain on Pitch
Nothing on Yaw

Then folks can start adjusting things to suit their particular needs, but if they just plugged it in and fly they couldn't go far wrong. Starts out as a conservative roll and pitch damper and move on from there.

Just a thought.

John
Hi John,

Will take a look at that, for sure we're changing default to Analogue servos. What plane did you do your first flying with?
Mark