Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Discussion
Blue Light Technologies Flight Stabilizer BL-3G 2D 3D Quad

http://www.bluelight-tech.com/BL-3GMod.htm

BL-3GMod Priced at only $56.00

Has anyone tried one of these on a plane or quadcopter. From the description it looks to be able to work to stabilize just about anything.

User Manual: http://www.bluelight-tech.com/Downlo...UserManual.pdf

PC Tool overview with 11 pages of settings:

http://www.bluelight-tech.com/BL-3GPCTool.htm
Gyro range

x 7 RC transmitter inputs (Pitch, roll, yaw + 4 real time switches
x 6 RC aircraft outputs (Aircraft servos / ESC motor speed controllers)
- Applications: RC airplane, heli, multi-copter, gyro evaluation, platform
..stability, general robotics, teaching aid
- In-built full speed mini USB for set up and testing (incl firmware upgrade)
- Supports all RC transmitters, servos and controllers (Independent I/O)
- Multiple input curve options, incl x4 user defined (11 pts)
- x 3 PID contollers (programmable)
- Special anti-crash and cross wind take off features for novice teaching

BL-IM10Mod
Here is another model that is interesting:
Auto-pilot range

x3 Gyro / x3 Accelerometer / x3 Magnetometer / x1 Barometer
x 12 RC transmitter inputs (Pitch, roll, yaw + 9 real time sw or sensors)
x 8 RC aircraft outputs (Aircraft servos / ESC motor speed controllers)
- Fusion Sensor outputs: Raw data, Quaternion attitude, Euler angles,
Complementary filter, heading, altitude
- Applications: RC airplane, heli, multi-copter, gyro evaluation, platform
..stability, general robotics, teaching aid
- Progarmmable aircraft path / pattern flying
- All ST MEMS devices with internal registers accessible / programmable

Looks like the market is really moving fast. You have all of the stand-alone gyros,
the Orange Stabilizer from HK, the Guardian from EagleTree. Just bought my second Guardian before I found this one.

Looks like I need to buy a BL-3GMod just for fun....

Cheers, JR
jjr2001 is offline Find More Posts by jjr2001
Last edited by jjr2001; Sep 03, 2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added PC Tool link
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:21 PM
Chesapeake, Va
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Thats funny I just made the same post on the Guardian thread. I have read all of their pages about it. It seems that the problem of not supporting multi-flight surface servos is supported with this unit. I wrote to the engineer at Blue Light to make sure. I hope that it is equivalent to the Guardian 2d/3d unit from Eagle Tree. It seems to be. I want it for giant scale planes with mult servos per surface. Let me know what you discover I'll do the same.

Wil
RotorHeadH53 is offline Find More Posts by RotorHeadH53
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHeadH53 View Post
Thats funny I just made the same post on the Guardian thread. I have read all of their pages about it. It seems that the problem of not supporting multi-flight surface servos is supported with this unit. I wrote to the engineer at Blue Light to make sure. I hope that it is equivalent to the Guardian 2d/3d unit from Eagle Tree. It seems to be. I want it for giant scale planes with mult servos per surface. Let me know what you discover I'll do the same.

Wil
Wil, it looks like an awesome unit and for only $55.00.
At first look the specs show a very large set of user configurable parameters.
It looks to me that it will stabilize most anything.

Then they have the "advanced" one that has more inputs and outputs than I would ever use but
I am sure there is a place for that one with extreme flying machines.
I guess they are still working on software and pricing for that one.

The Guardian is a super fine controller. I have used the Orange ($15.00 from HK) and
I have removed it from service until they fix the potentiometer problem.
It is not near as versatile as the Guardian. Would not expect it to be for $15.
I think it will be ok for a park flyer foamie.

I have one Guardian installed. Setup was a cinch and it does not drift at all.

The Blue Light unit looks like a tweekers dream....

Cheers, JR
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:29 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Mine is on the way.
Shipped on the 28th, sitting in BangkokThailand right now.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:52 PM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Awesome, Looking forward to your findings with this one.

Cheers, JR
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:27 AM
Chesapeake, Va
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr2001 View Post
Wil, it looks like an awesome unit and for only $55.00.
At first look the specs show a very large set of user configurable parameters.
It looks to me that it will stabilize most anything.

Then they have the "advanced" one that has more inputs and outputs than I would ever use but
I am sure there is a place for that one with extreme flying machines.
I guess they are still working on software and pricing for that one.

The Guardian is a super fine controller. I have used the Orange ($15.00 from HK) and
I have removed it from service until they fix the potentiometer problem.
It is not near as versatile as the Guardian. Would not expect it to be for $15.
I think it will be ok for a park flyer foamie.

I have one Guardian installed. Setup was a cinch and it does not drift at all.

The Blue Light unit looks like a tweekers dream....

Cheers, JR
JR,

I talked to Pete with Blue Light yesterday via email. He explained a few versatile things to me about the Iceman and the PRO. You can gang as many servos as you need for each surface. You have control with the software prograbilty to reverse the servos through the gyro and for power hungry servos you can have the signal come from the gyro to the servos but power direct from the battery.pages 10-11 in the manual. Obviously the PRO allows more channels so you can Y servos on right wing from one channel, Y the servos of the left wing on another, and do the same with the elevator.

Also pete said that they are 5 months from being available, he said the software for it is almost complete. expected cost between $100 - 150 dollars. He says you can buy direct or through Amazon. He has videos of the software on their website and the control of the unit that you have through the software is awsome.

I believe he is a British Aerospace Engineer. Super nice guy to talk very candid and helpful.

I may go with one of the regular units first. If it works well I will get the PRO for my giant gas plane.

Keep in touch

Wil

Wil
RotorHeadH53 is offline Find More Posts by RotorHeadH53
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:07 PM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHeadH53 View Post
JR,

I talked to Pete with Blue Light yesterday via email. He explained a few versatile things to me about the Iceman and the PRO. You can gang as many servos as you need for each surface. You have control with the software prograbilty to reverse the servos through the gyro and for power hungry servos you can have the signal come from the gyro to the servos but power direct from the battery.pages 10-11 in the manual. Obviously the PRO allows more channels so you can Y servos on right wing from one channel, Y the servos of the left wing on another, and do the same with the elevator.

Also pete said that they are 5 months from being available, he said the software for it is almost complete. expected cost between $100 - 150 dollars. He says you can buy direct or through Amazon. He has videos of the software on their website and the control of the unit that you have through the software is awsome.

I believe he is a British Aerospace Engineer. Super nice guy to talk very candid and helpful.

I may go with one of the regular units first. If it works well I will get the PRO for my giant gas plane.

Keep in touch

Wil

Wil
Hi Wil, Just ordered mine yesterday. The features listed on the web site are just too good to pass up.
I noticed that the English in the manual and on the website was real English and wondered why it was so good.

I currently have one EagleTree Guardian and it works great, ordered another from HK yesterday and just placed an order for the Blue Light....That will most like be all the stabilization I should need...

As a side note, I decided to give that Orange Stabilizer one more chance on a foamie and found that it is not useable. I tried it last week on a 3DHS Extra and it was almost uncontrollable. You get about 2 to 3 degrees of rotation from 0 to 100% sensitivity. No way that I could adjust the gyro so after 3 attempts I pulled it from the plane. Hopefully there will be a software update to make the Orange useable but until then I am all in with Guardian and Blue Light.

I will post results of my experience as soon as my BL-3G Blue Light arrives.

Cheers, JR
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
2 Posts
Hi. I just installed the BL-3G gyro in my 2m Icon. Works very well. Very smooth, easy, stable flying even in windy/crosswind conditions. Lots of configurable parameters available via the USB PC software, even has an oscilloscope (live data tab) function so you can see the gyro working. The advanced1 tab was pretty useful to check and calibrate the Tx control outputs (I use a Spektrum DX5e). When configuring parameters via the software when the gyro is installed and connected to servos, make sure the battery is connected too, as the USB current is limited. I like the ability to define your own control curves too, rather than having an expensive complex radio. Sensitivity can also be adjusted in the field with a small screwdriver. All in all I'm very impressed, works great! Steve
smassel is offline Find More Posts by smassel
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:22 PM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smassel View Post
Hi. I just installed the BL-3G gyro in my 2m Icon. Works very well. Very smooth, easy, stable flying even in windy/crosswind conditions. Lots of configurable parameters available via the USB PC software, even has an oscilloscope (live data tab) function so you can see the gyro working. The advanced1 tab was pretty useful to check and calibrate the Tx control outputs (I use a Spektrum DX5e). When configuring parameters via the software when the gyro is installed and connected to servos, make sure the battery is connected too, as the USB current is limited. I like the ability to define your own control curves too, rather than having an expensive complex radio. Sensitivity can also be adjusted in the field with a small screwdriver. All in all I'm very impressed, works great! Steve
Thanks for the update Steve.

How long did it take to receive yours?

Cheers, JR
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:08 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
302 Posts
Hi all, I work at Bluelight Technologies, the company who develops and manufactures the BL-3GRC "ICE-MAN" Gyro. I would encourage you to go to Bluelight website to download all the literature and documentations (bluelight-tech.com). As time goes on you'll also be able to get various pre-designed set up scripts for various aircraft configurations. (In fact I would very much like you to send yours to me if you don't mind sharing so I can put them on line). I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
IceManPro is offline Find More Posts by IceManPro
Last edited by IceManPro; Sep 03, 2012 at 06:10 AM. Reason: typos
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:23 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
302 Posts
Regarding the issue of delivery time, we expect a couple of weeks, but we will very soon move to a fulfilment by Amazon so will ship from US to US, so very quick. Also planning to supply via normal US RC stores at some point soon. Will post more info when I have it.
IceManPro is offline Find More Posts by IceManPro
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:25 AM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro View Post
Regarding the issue of delivery time, we expect a couple of weeks, but we will very soon move to a fulfilment by Amazon so will ship from US to US, so very quick. Also planning to supply via normal US RC stores at some point soon. Will post more info when I have it.
Awesome Mark, Great to hear directly from the company.
I read the manual and checked out the website last week and I think that you have the most versatile gyro stabilizer on the market bar none.

The price is right. For a full feature, user programmable unit you have the best price point also.

Many thanks to you and your company for bringing this to market.
I think this is the stabilizer that we were all looking for.

Cheers, JR
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:15 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro View Post
1) Will the introductory price jump up as soon as you sell through vendors?

2) How hard is it to configure compared to something like the Guardian? Obviously it can be very complex, but will it work out of the box with minimal programming.

3) what is the difference between the "Mod" and "boxed" versions

4) This question is for anybody...Is there anything that the Guardian has, that this doesn't?
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:05 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
4) This question is for anybody...Is there anything that the Guardian has, that this doesn't?
Hoping that I am wrong, but as far as I can tell:
the Blue Light IM10 does not seem to be available yet, but seems to mention accelerometers for keeping level.
The currently available Blue Light (3G?) does not seem to have accelerometers for keeping level.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Sep 03, 2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Update on Blue Light model names
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Nov 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr2001 View Post
Thanks for the update Steve.

How long did it take to receive yours?

Cheers, JR
It took about 10 days to arrive.
Steve
smassel is offline Find More Posts by smassel