SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
Question
UAV using smartphone

I am looking into controlling an plane with a smartphone at it's "cockpit". I am trying to avoid building a plane from ground up b/c I have very little expertise in crafting. A programmer by trade actually.

My question is: Is there a large glider plane in the market anywhere that you guys know of which can fit a smartphone (Galaxy nexus 135.5 h x 67.9 w mm, 150 grams) in its fuselage? Most RC planes that I searched for,even with wingspan >2m, have pretty narrow fuselages.

Thanks.
Sid
sidman47 is offline Find More Posts by sidman47
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:51 AM
Brazil, PE, Recife
Joined Apr 2011
84 Posts
Well, that's what most gliders are like. Less profile is less drag. If you want a larger fuselage, look into foam models like the skywalker or the twin star II. These also cost money and take more beating then a glider and are easier to fly.

I don't think smartphones are suitable as autopilots by the way. It's complicated connecting it to servo's and the reliability is worse vs. dedicated autopilots (scheduling, auto-sleep functions, not receiving user input, calls coming in, whatever).
radialmind is offline Find More Posts by radialmind
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
I see your point.. but something about curiosity of whether its possible. Also, I seem to have also found a powered glider, Super Dimona 2400, that looks like it can hold a decent sized smartphone in its fuselage. Any opinions on this glider? seems to have good reviews.
sidman47 is offline Find More Posts by sidman47