HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by giuseppi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:25 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,386 Posts
Discussion
Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Okay. I'm pretty sure I read that this is a blog and can be about whatever and not necessarily RC or model building, etc.

So...

Yesterday one of the most amazing things happened...

My 87 years young mother, as is typical, was out on the back patio having her cigarette and coffee, when she hears a strange noise, turns to see what it is, and there, beside her in the flower bed sits a white dove.

He began walking around on the patio, not appearing to have any fear of my Mom, so she heads inside to get some of the wild bird seed we keep for the cardinals and sparrows, in case he might be hungry.

She puts some seed in a bowl, and heads back outside. He's still there. She places the bowl in front of him, which he hops on, spilling the seed all over the patio.

He begins to pick at the seed on the ground and while he's at that, my mom finds another bowl for some water for him to drink. He has a nice long drink.

Its about this time that I go outside to join her, and she alerts me that the dove is sitting on a nylon cord strung between the patio cover posts.

She tells me about how he came to be here and that he'd tried to fly into the crepe myrtle but ended up there on the cord instead. I walk over to him slowly, and gently place my cupped hands under his chest. He steps into my hands and I carry him to the crepe myrtle and place him on a branch.

I have a seat for a minute or two and decide to head indoors for the camera to get some images for posterity's sake. Nobody's gonna believe this unless I get some pictures. They might not believe it anyway.

I return and take the pics of him in the tree, afterward heading inside to view the images on the PC and to put the camera away.

When I get back outside he's back on the patio having some more of the seed and water. I sit in my chair, sipping my cup of coffee, while my mother and I discuss the wonder of it all.

Then, out of nowhere it seems, something swooshes by, right through the patio just in front of my mother and out of the corner of my eye I see it light in the other crepe myrtle.

Its another dove, sitting there in the tree, not white like the first one, but a light brown color with a dark simi-circle on the back of its neck. Then, the next thing I know, this dove flies down out of the tree onto the patio, landing next to the white dove.

Well, totally in awe of the whole situation, my mother and I sit and marvel at what is happening before our eyes. Its soooooo unbelievable. I don't want to move because I don't want to scare them off, but I have to get some pictures of this. We're sitting there watching and they both end up in the flower bed, beside my mother on the step, and the white dove begins making cooing noises and kind of dances around the other. Uh, oh. Are they gonna, you know? Right here in front of us. Although I think he really wanted to, the little lady was too discreet for such behaviour and was having none of it.

Why did I have to go and leave my camera inside? Man, I've really got to buy a video camera!

I don't want to go in through the back door behind where my mother is sitting, knowing that will spook them, so I sneak away to the front of the house and head for my camera.

When I get back, either I come around the corner of the house too fast, or the noise of the gate closing startles the little female, because the next thing I know she's off and gone.

I go ahead and get some pics of my mother and the white dove together.

My mother heads indoors while I remain hoping for the female to return. I see her fly through the yard and land in the neighbor's oak. So I take some pictures of the white dove, who is taking over my mother's seat on the patio step, and I wait...and wait...and wait, but she never returns. So,I head indoors for a bite to eat.

I take a look through the curtains and see he's still there. The next time I look he's gone.

What an incredible day.
giuseppi is online now Find More Posts by giuseppi
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:58 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,738 Posts
Seems totally appropriate to report on something that flies ;-).

Beautiful events and photos!

Thanks for sharing.
J
uberjay is offline Find More Posts by uberjay