Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:00 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,042 Posts
Rant
Books titled "College Algebra" and "Algebra for College students"

What is this?

There should be no such class at the college level. What's next? College arithmetic? College counting?

Students who were not adequately educated by the public school system should be forced to attend "Community Middle Schools for adults" before wasting resources at a college or University.

That the U. of M. uses these books in courses designed to teach algebra to college students is a sad commentary on the U.S. Education system.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,119 Posts
I had two years of high school algebra and understood it fairly well. i flunked college algebra the first time through, and managed a D the second time. That was a real D, between 60% and 69%. Math chair at my university told us that 18% in college algebra was good for a C. I occasionally help folks out here, and on other forums, when they have trouble doing figgerin'. If you google around, you can find arguments that students should not have to learn algebra.

The one year I taught high school physics (poorly), a student objected to a problem we were working on because it was algebra and this was a physics class. I explained to him that one learned algebra to be able to do physics.

I don't disagree with your point of view.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,557 Posts
I was never able to put the proper picture in my head, was more like somebody threw a junk pile in there and every once in a while I could find the right part. I was always wishing for a more visual way to understand it and then I might be able to get it to cross that barrier and fuse with the symbolic. Every once in a while it worked out, many times too late.

BTW, I do seem to remember there was a College Counting and it was called Combinatorics.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Last edited by HELModels; Aug 29, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:59 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,615 Posts
Algebra? I'd like to see them "enjoy" differential equations.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,557 Posts
This would help, if it worked.

http://www.aw-bc.com/ide/
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:18 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Algebra? I'd like to see them "enjoy" differential equations.
Loved them. Even got an "A"
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:19 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
What is this?

There should be no such class at the college level. What's next? College arithmetic? College counting?
For at least 40 years, there has been a distinction between College Algebra and High School. IIRC, maybe 80 or more years.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:20 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,308 Posts
Quote:
What is this?

Students who were not adequately educated by the public school system should be forced to attend "Community Middle Schools for adults" before wasting resources at a college or University.

That the U. of M. uses these books in courses designed to teach algebra to college students is a sad commentary on the U.S. Education system.
Would you rather that the students taking these courses were unable to take such courses and that their education was held up, because of some arbitrary limit placed on when exactly they should be permitted to learn certain subjects?
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:21 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,255 Posts
Leccy, that is a very good point.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:26 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,615 Posts
Quote:
What is this?

There should be no such class at the college level. What's next? College arithmetic? College counting? ...........
College alphabet.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Would you rather that the students taking these courses were unable to take such courses and that their education was held up, because of some arbitrary limit placed on when exactly they should be permitted to learn certain subjects?
It's much better to mystify everything and overcomplicate, so the student emerges with a sense of superiority. Actual comprehension, competency, and superior ability is irrelevant.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:48 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,712 Posts
Boy, I hope the OP doesn't find out about underwater basket weaving...

My personal favorite: Dukes of Hazard and its Social Significance

http://inventiveeducation.wordpress.com/2010/11/02/166/
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
This is such an intellectually dishonest question in light of what I wrote that you're on my ignore list.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:02 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,712 Posts
Quote:
This is such an intellectually dishonest question in light of what I wrote that you're on my ignore list.
Thank goodness. Hopefully you can just ignore his insightful statements so the rest of us can quit slapping our foreheads so much!
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,042 Posts
I missed the insightful statements, sorry.