HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RHTizzy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:43 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Discussion
Multihopter instead of Multicopter?

Finished building and got the first opportunity today to try and get it in the air. But no such luck, it appears as if there's not enough power to get the quad airborne. Increasing throttle to max just gives enough power to hop a a few centimeters off the ground.

I got a 'pre-selected parts' beginner's kit from RCTimer so I had the least chance of mismatching stuff but it's using RCTimers 2200mAh 15C batteries which were the highest capacity they had available and I'm thinking they just don't have what it takes. I did use the online RC calc to check but is wasn't possible to fill in exact matches to my kit so I'm unsure about the results.

A few good idea's have come up, e.g. that it could be vibrations, but also that the ESC's might not be calibrated properly. People say it's doubtful that the battery is not powerful enough but opinions differ and some say 15C is barely enough and only on a new battery (which wont last long).

I haven't balanced my props properly so they might well be the cause of it. I hope to find some time soon to get it done and check whether that solves it.
RHTizzy is offline Find More Posts by RHTizzy
Last edited by RHTizzy; Aug 30, 2012 at 06:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:30 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Possible solutions or causes have been reported as following (in no particular order):
  1. Upgrade battery, preferably to 40C
  2. calibrate ESC's separately (ie one by one) via the receiver
  3. Faulty wiring or connectors
  4. Vibrations or Prop balancing
  5. LPF too low (low pass filter for gyros) ~98/188hz better (verify with "heavy" lpf (20hz,10hz), if it take off, it's a vibration prob)
  6. Make sure props are on correctly (not udside down) and in the correct position\order
  7. Max throttle too low, increase to 1950
  8. properly centered prop adapter,
  9. balanced motor
  10. ESC's should be NiMH (dus NIET op LiPO)
  11. maxthrottle (in config.h) low value? (standard 1850, 2000 is also fine. 1800 should get airborne)
  12. might be a PID issue

Comments worth noting:
  1. the mpu6050 of crius is very sensitive, and too many vibs will produce a lot of "on-off-full-power-on-esc-off" jittering (you can see it in multiwiiconf, esc pwm go crazy). ESCs wont handle this and keep power low
  2. arducopter with apm2 for example, use a 98hz lpf on its mpu6050, if you you try megapirateng on crius, dont forget to verifiy lpf too
  3. transmitter ingesteld op extended range (dus dat ie van 1000 tot 2000 uS aanwijst op de GUI / Multiwii)?
  4. check 1 motor / ESC- connect directly to receiver and check power.... 4x 930 kV met 10x4.5 props should be able to handle at least 2 kg.

Options reported as definitely not (likely) an issue
  1. Prop size
  2. Motor size or power
RHTizzy is offline Find More Posts by RHTizzy
Last edited by RHTizzy; Aug 30, 2012 at 06:41 AM.