HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:01 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,736 Posts
Nasty Business !

I am Sure it will be worth it in the end ...
Tim B. is online now Find More Posts by Tim B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:48 AM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,286 Posts
and the end is nigh, Tim.

Day 3:
11.15 hours.........
the finishing od the mould is in sight........I sanded both halves after trimming back to the top bulwark line and the existing flange line on the second half, and then with power file cut the edges of the two halves down to that a permenant gelcoat line could be seen all the way around both the flange and the bulwark tops....this then ensures that the mould is cut back to the proper edge , and no overhang would inhibit splitting the mould
I then marked and drilled the flange at intervals of around 4" to take the roofing bolt fasteners that will hold the mould together.
It was now time to split the mould...........the flange split easily enough and with a bit of huffing and puffing the "green" side of the mould which I finished this morning fell away relatively easy.........I had made to split the mould from the plug whilst it was still green to give me a chance....and it worked.
the second half was more troublesome as it had cured longer and was much stiffer, but with a lot of sweat, many wedges and a strain to the back from which it will take a couple of days to ease off, the second half fell away with a lot of pulling and tapping with a mallet..........if it had resisted the next step would have been to pour down the inside of the mould, a kettle full of hot water to activate the pva release agent.....but it worked.......I screwed the two halves together and will leave to cure now over the next day and then wash off tomorrow, ready for waxing up to take a moulding.
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:43 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,296 Posts
Way to go.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:35 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,286 Posts
yes, MT a long way to go yet.

Now that the mould has had time to cure in a heated workshop all night ( hate to think of the electricity bill) it's now time to prepare for getting some mouldings out of it..............
bath time......getting rid of the release agent.........but don't tell the misses
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,286 Posts
got all my coats of wax on today, followed by two coats of PVA release agent, and then the Gelcoat outer water resistant layer, ready for moulding up the hull tomorrow........hopefully by "tiffin" will have my first lifeboat hull ready for rigging out.
Last edited by nhp651; Dec 02, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:54 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,028 Posts
Great stuff, nhp!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,286 Posts
cheers.......I'm getting to the point now where I'm going to start enjoying myself.roll on a hull or two to play with.
neil.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,286 Posts
Just come in from the workshop after starting the layup at 09.30hours.......... on the first hull mould.Two hours ain't bad I suppose.

With these lifeboat hulls, where there is such an indentation in the bulwark tops for the belting I tend to do one side at a time down to just past the halfway and encasing the keel which has the ballast weight moulded into it as a feature. Once the firsat side has gone off I trim it up to the bulwark level with a stanley knife (carpet knife) and then start the second side of the mould.....by doing this, I can lay the mould on it's side to stipple well into the belting mould without fear of the other side falling away from the mould and ending up with airbubbles all along the top edge, or worse still half way down the hull side.

the mould can then be left for a few minuted whilst the second side is going off before putting the mould on an even keel for it all to cure for the afternoon.........tonight I'll hopefully split the mould and extracate the hull moulding, before I start all over again tomorrow with waxing etc for the second hull...........it's all go.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:14 AM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
looking forward to the photo's of the hull!!
DerekCross is offline Find More Posts by DerekCross
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,286 Posts
well here they are dereck.

It's always greatly satisfying when the first moulding pops out of the mould.

Albeit with a bit of a struggle today because I haven't split the mould around the belting, but the moulding did come out without any damage to either the mould or moulding.

the mould flashing along the keel and inside the propellor tunnel have been cleaned out and off with sanders and any splinters have been sanded off inside the hull

off to the test tank for washing down and then to set and cure in the workshop. tomorrow will be the second moulding.

|Dereck.......you might ctually remember the boat I am building.there was a model of her in the Right hand window of the old Lifeboat house on the promenade at Fleetwood before the boat house was heavily damaged by storm in 1977 and then demolished.....the model went to Fleetwood museum.
neil
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:13 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,607 Posts
Very nicely done. nothing like the sound of that first "crack" as the part starts to seperate from the mold. A bit unnerving bthe first time, but also a good sound to hear as it means all the prep work payed off for ease of removal. great tutorial on the process!
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:34 PM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
any leaks?!!!!!....just kidding!!
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:35 PM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
superb!
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:54 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekCross View Post
superb!
Indeed!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S View Post
Very nicely done. nothing like the sound of that first "crack" as the part starts to seperate from the mold. A bit unnerving bthe first time, but also a good sound to hear as it means all the prep work payed off for ease of removal. great tutorial on the process!
you are so right, Keith....to coin a phrase "The first crack is the deepest", lol

a very satisfying sound indeed.

No leaks at all Dereck, lol

And thanks for the comments lads............just one more hull to make now and then get building.
neil.