SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:57 PM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
Thanks guys..................Tim..........had I had somewhere to store the boat to work on under cover...........I would have bought it myself ( the real one) as it was up for sale for around $2200 dollars..................but sadly it wouldn't fit in my garden, and my wife would have gone ballistic if I had tried to do so, lol
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:23 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhp651 View Post
for sale for around $2200 dollars
Sadly, perhaps... but $2200 would have been the tippy toppy tip of the iceberg, likely. Big boat projects are, er, big.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Sadly, perhaps... but $2200 would have been the tippy toppy tip of the iceberg, likely. Big boat projects are, er, big.
total money pits aerominded.........I learned from experience......used to own a 56' Narrow boat that sailed the english canals for a number of years..........it used to cost me $2000 a year just to keep it on the canal before I even went sailing her............and that was 16 years ago.....never again unless I win the lottery, lol
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:18 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
Quote:
...unless I win the lottery, lol
I hear that! in the meantime, great work you are doing on the lifeboats!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:44 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
thanks.........appreciate the comments.
neil.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:57 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
all surface scratch filler has now been cut away to leave ( hopefully) a plug that will take a good mould from........you can see from the close up just how good it is at filling scratches from the circular indentations left from the sanders that have been filled. the shiny coat is 5 coats of ronseal polyurethane varnish which will be flattened down in a day or so with fine grade wire(steel for those who prefare to call it that) wool.

I must say though that I think this is going to be the last scratch built model I build.............it took me weeks for my back to recover to what it is normally after the Blackpool show, carrying ( with much help from Mick French) to the water pool, and I just thought it was the extra energy and some bending at the pool to put the boats in..................but the last week or so of rubbing this plug down and man handling it has really hurt and inflamed the back again to the point where it is hard to move...............I am getting too old and decrepit to me man handling plugs.........and this one isn't too heavy or too big...............gawd knows what I'm going to be like after I have finished the glass fibre work.................but I'll have to do it as I have come too far to abandon the project......but boy does it hurt!!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:18 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,836 Posts
It can be seen there is ALOT of hard labor to this task, I now have a greater understanding and appreciation for all the steps and hard work that goes into doing this !

You deserve a month in Malta Mate.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
I'd love a month in Malta, matey...............went for a fortnight back in 1980.....what a wonderful place it is...........such beautiful history..............I loved it.
neil.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:43 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,310 Posts
"You deserve a month in Malta Mate."

I agree.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
I put it off long enough but have had to bite the bullet, and today I made the template for the central flange for the mould making process........made it from card in sections and will transfer this onto a piece of Hardboard with the shiney side to the first half of the mould.
Whilst I was waiting for this I started making the small masters for the Blake 40 BHP petrol motor, as used in the RNLB William and Laura. I started on the crank case for this, and it will be made from wood and then put into moulds for casting in resin.
As the motor can be seen on the boat if the "dog kennel" covers are lifted I feel that it will be an added attraction to the boat and so decided to build a 1:12 scale model of it.
However, I am finding pictures of such a motor very hard to find ( in fact not found any yet), so if anyone has any photos of this type of engine I would really appreciate some help.
Cheers,
neil.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:42 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,836 Posts
Quote:
I am finding pictures of such a motor very hard to find ( in fact not found any yet), so if anyone has any photos of this type of engine I would really appreciate some help.
Cheers,
neil.

Man, thats gonna be tough, yes ?

Blake engine ?

Hmmmmm........
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
especially when the motor is over 100 years old, lol
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
Have been tied up the last few days making my daughter a small nicknack set of draws for on top of her dressing table, and knew I'd over ordered the mdf that I was making it from so that I could used some of it for the flange for my moulding of the hull............
anyway got the drawers ready for sanding today and so got back to the preperation oof the moulding process.........cut the flange from the template I made the other day and set it up onto the hull plug...........
I cut it out with a jig saw, and then added supporting bars of pine at bow and stern with the flange was screwed to to hold in place along the centre line of the keel ( or there abouts......not too critical..................tomorrow I'll back fill from the rear side with plastecine to elliminate any gaps between flange and hull, and then wax it all up ready for the gell coat layer, early next week.
neil.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
I backfilled the flange this afternoon..............firstly "tacked" in place using blobs of blutack, and then wodges of moulding plastecine.
Finally the gaps between the flange and the boat's keel were filled and flattened with more plastecine to make sure of no leakage of gelcoat or resin though into the other half of the mould.
the mould will now be given five or six coats of NONE SILICON based release wax.........it has to be a wax free from silicons ( so furnature polosh or wax will not do as it can react against the polyester resins.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
Been doing some waxing to the plug today...sparingly as I am running out until new stocks come from Glasplies.......ordered it this morning along with my resin, gelcoat and matting...............but don't know how long it'll take to be delivered.......so cracked on with my little motor , using the quite extensive drawings I have of it ( although still no photos)........and the results of the main parts I've been able to fathom out so far can be seen.
The sump pan, main engine crank case, cylinders and head blocks, the Exhaust box and the flywheel have all been made separately so I can cast them in parts and then stick together......keeps me happy while the wax dries, lol