HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:56 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,811 Posts
thats why a small magnet is one of the best tools when looking to buy a used car!!! looking great(as always)
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:01 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,754 Posts
Xlnt !

Very happy to hear a clear chest X ray mate.

You're making big progress here !

You have some very cool sanding tools, looks like it saves time ~

And sore arms !

As mentioned above, it really is cool to see the whole process like this step by step, I don't think I've sen it done.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:12 AM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,287 Posts
cheers guys....you two are up early..........been watching the Romney Obama debate by any chance
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:37 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhp651 View Post
cheers guys....you two are up early..........been watching the Romney Obama debate by any chance
I have No time for theater I am afraid ...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,287 Posts
you're right tim........we saw a bit on our news this lunch time and it was pure bovine excretia!!!!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:41 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Very happy to hear a clear chest X ray mate.

You're making big progress here !

You have some very cool sanding tools, looks like it saves time ~

And sore arms !

As mentioned above, it really is cool to see the whole process like this step by step, I don't think I've sen it done.
I agree.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,287 Posts
the sanding of the hull and tunnel is almost complete, but there are some minor areas that need doing.
to facilitate this I have had to add the "false" keel.....when I cut the original keel( centre plate for the sections, I measured it 3mm shy all round, and then with two strips of 1.5mm ply I make up the correct size.....this also incorporates the "bow plate" onto which a fairlead roller is fixed later.

the strips were nailed on to the keel and stem and stern posts......they will be filled later, but not before I fix the "pig iron" ballast keel which will be made from obeche block and fixed to the keel sides before filling, sanding and making ready for moulding.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,287 Posts
Well!....the Blackpool show's over now, the aches and pains subsiding just a little , and so it's back to a near normal sense of normality, and down to work.

I haven't filled in to the keel and stem/stern posts yet as it is time to put the protective belting, which is a very important and also noticable part of any lifeboat and on the older classic boats always stood out as being painted red.

It is a bit of a sod to put on, and I always follow the method I am going to show here.

the width of the belting is taken and a base strip of obeche is cut, onto which other layers can be glued

Because you are trying to bend in two directions........following both the "sheer" line and the curvature of the hull plan, it would normally have been steamed on the actual boat and in sections.........however this is only a plug and so the two strips cut, have been saw cut in two "planes" to allow the easier bending of dry timber and setting in to place using aliphatic resin ( quick grab AND waterproof.)

the belting was then glued on to the hull fixing with both pins and spring clamps.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:08 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,287 Posts
the second layer of the belting was added yesterday and then filed at the bow and stern with power file, and rounded preliminarily allong the top and bottom edges with my small "block" plane, before filling with polyester filler.............(getting towards the bottom of the tin now )......before a few long days sanding it to the right profile, and finally putting on a capping strip the length of the belting.
also whilst I was at it, I made the two blanks for the "cast iron" keel ballast..............this will be incorporated into the moulding process and was made from two strips of obeche, set in place with filler.............again will be sanded to a smooth finish.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,287 Posts
with a lot of hard work and good abrasive paper........the boat begins to take shape and gets nearer to moulding.......just a little refilling and sanding on the belting, and then i can add the outer capping strip
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:32 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,754 Posts
Thats quite a production shop you've got there, looks like everything you need !

Indeed, it is taking shape.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Thats quite a production shop you've got there, looks like everything you need !
Not quite, Tim.......I really would like a planer thicknesser at some stage.......modelling life would be complete then.

The belting has been sanded as has the hull.............this afternoon I deviated slightly from the cappings on the belting to adding the fixing positions for the bilge keels and skegs and the centre prop shaft skeg, which is made of two layers 3mm ply glued together and held against the building board to keep flat whilst gluing, and made in two parts to allow the prop tube to run through it.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,287 Posts
Slowly and surely ( as the kids are on half term and I seem to get deviated from my task....mind you I love it having them at home and going out on trips for the day), I am getting close to being able to take the mould from the plug.

Over the last few days I have been putting the top and bottom capping strips plus the extended belting onto the protective belts to the boat.
The top capping was made from 3mm x 1.5mm obeche strip so that it can be sanded to a half rounded top edge, whilst the bottom and mid capping were made from two layers of 120 gram card cut into 3mm strips, and all glued with aliphatic resin.
Also the second layer of 3mm ply was added to the centre skeg that houses the prop shaft and propellor, with the trailing edge being cut and drilled to take a white metal "foot" to take the bottom pintol of the rudder.
This of course won't be fitted to the plug, but is ready for when I pull a moulding out of the moulds.
Finally the extended cast iron ballast keel was added to the propellor skeg, made from obeche and will be ready for the moulding of the motor sailer.
The skeg for the pulling sailing boat will be similar eventually but without the cut out for the prop.
You can see thecappings that I have just added being retained on the restoration project recently for sale on Ebay, although on this boat, (which was a 43' boat just like my model) the belting has been removed.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:58 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,754 Posts
So fortunate to have the real boat pics as a reference ( albeit incomplete ).
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:17 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhp651 View Post
Not quite, Tim.......I really would like a planer thicknesser at some stage.......modelling life would be complete then.
that is not too much to ask, nhp! Nice hull!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded