HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
That is why this place is such a great site. I always learn something new. I had drafting in HS for a couple of years and it was my favorite class. I still use it. Now I can use it to correct photo copies. Thanks for sharing what you do.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:45 AM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,326 Posts
you are most welcome Gravman.......that's what we are all here for, to share knowledge with our fellow brethren.
neil.
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,326 Posts
thought I'd post this picture tonight as my good lady has other ideas for me tomorrow and I won't get much modelling done so she tells me..( it's our 25th wedding anniversary tomorrow........so gawd knows what she means, )
so, got round to cutting out the keel and the frames today.

you might notice that the rear end bottom of the keel has been cut out...........this is the area of keel that will house the single propeller and as such is set into a "hole" for want of a better word.....

well, this would be very hard to mould into the moulding with grp, and even harder for the builder , should it ever be kitted, to line up from the inside, a hole to drill that would come out dead centre for the prop shaft.............far easier to drill from the outside of the hull, so the aft end of the deadwood and keel can be added with a piece of 9mm ply and faired in with filler to the grp hull once the shaft tlocating hole has been drilled....that's how I did it for the two rudders on the 46' Watsons, and worked perfectly.

Tomorrow, ( or when ever i get the chance) I'll cut the slots into the frames and the keel and get the frame ready for attaching to a building board, ready for ( I think but haven't made up my mind yet) a plank on frame hull.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:37 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
[QUOTE=nhp651;22895419]thought I'd post this picture tonight as my good lady has other ideas for me tomorrow and I won't get much modelling done so she tells me..( it's our 25th wedding anniversary tomorrow........so gawd knows what she means, )QUOTE]

She means SPEND MONEY.
25th is SILVER !

Also, a Big Party ( Be a good Chap and pic up that tab, will you ? )
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,326 Posts
I could never muster that many for a party tim.......fallen out with em all in my old cantancrous ways, lol............it'll be a nice quiet meal with the good lady and our two daughters if anything, lol.......will get a picture of that ellusive pint in an old english pub for you, lol
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:06 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
That old barnacle to far right ( host ) had ney a frend 'till he put up an advert for free wurst and ale ...
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,326 Posts
just for you tim.....a pint of Pendle Witch beer at one of my favorite pubs, whilst waiting for a nice meal.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:08 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
Excellent !!!

That beer looks nice and dark ....
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:10 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,326 Posts
It tasted nice too, Tim....went down without touching the sides..........just glad my good lady can drive, lol

Scratch building is a trial and error thing, especially if you are building to take a mould from the piece being worked on.

Don't forget, GRP is not a pliable material, and any bends or stresses in it willl crack and break the mould, especially when you are trying to remove the plug from the mould or a moulding from it, and so, there must be no overhangs, or basically inaccecible areas to lay up, and the easier you can make the mould (and the plug) for moulding the better.

I cut out all the frames yesterday evening, and this moring I fitted them to the keel.

I found at the stern that the small cuttaway that I had mentioned in an e\arlier post was totally insufficient in one part for me to actually lay up the tunnel area of the boat with the keel section in place, and so this extra area had to be removed, and yet the smaller area that I had removed from the keel earlier had been overdone, and so I had to replace ( or will do once the frames have been glued in place) a small strip to it to mate up with the top of the tunnel section.
The whole of this keel section that was removed will be added back to the grp moulded hull, once fabrication has been made and has been drilled for the prop shaft, and then faired in with filler.

The bend in the keel will be taken out by fixing 20 x 20 mm pine to the frames and screwing the frames to the building board, shown marked out in the pictures, and all will be straight before planking the hull.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,326 Posts
the frames have been glued to the keel now, and the two end framess were fixed with small blocks earlier today to screw to the building board.
Once they were set and the blocks screwed to the board, further blocks were glued to the frames.......NO glue allowed onto the bottom faces of the blocks as these need to be removed upon the build being finished.
they will be screwed through the bottom of the board tomorrow, and the whole keel straightened up from it's banana like appearance.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:01 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
Shaping up Quickly !
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,326 Posts
I don't think, once I have the grp moulding ready,that it will take that long a build at all, compared with others that I have done, tim.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:04 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
Take yer time, its what we've got.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:26 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,326 Posts
the beauty of building on a board is that you an iron out all banana shaped effect of natural warrpage on the ply by bad storage, with a good screw
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,326 Posts
well, the first cock up...............I began planking last night, using "0beche.....I think".....from some old venetian blind strips............

Only laid the first two planks close to the keel and gave up.......they were too brittle and wouldn't bend without splitting, so today reverted back to good old birch faced ply.

Last night I borrowed a small minicraft circular saw from my mate Rod, but although it cut a few planks, after about 10 of them the motor started to slow down, and so rather than overheat and kernacker it for him, I rigged up my band saw so that the ply ( 1.8mm thick) wouldn't slip under the fence, and cut my planks on that.

Next I cut some 3mm square pear from stock and mounted this onto the hull frames at the top line of the sheerline of the boat to give a marker when cutting down to the mould line..........

enough for today, Merlin starts again tonight, and I can't miss that for anything, lol