So does the cake .
Band1 is offline Find More Posts by Band1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 32 Ford rat Rod
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:18 PM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,303 Posts
went and took the plunge today and took a trip down to my local timber merchant where I buy my mahogany, and obeche.......boaught a nice piece of Douglas fir, 60" x 6" x1.5" lovely straight grain for the masts.............20 US$...........not bad at all....get a few masts out o' that lump.
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:37 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,944 Posts
Thats quite a broad talent base you've got there Mate !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:56 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,303 Posts
I finally decided today that on the sailing lifeboat there were too many holes in the deck doing nothing.

It's taken me a few weeks to decide that, but I have decided to fill the two in abreast of the rear drop keel box.........and so today placed supports around, and topped off with a piece of 1.8mm ply before filling in ready for sanding down to a smooth finish.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,303 Posts
The pulling/sailing lifeboat now has only one opening in the deck to let water in when heeling over in a stiff breeze, and so I have made my 100% waterproof flush deck hatch to cover this hole.

I have used this on numerous trawlers over the years where the deck forward took considerable water in a stiff breeze, and so I concocted this method to elleviate the ingress of water.......and never had any seepage in the models that I built........and we sail on some pretty rough stuff down at fleetwood.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:05 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,303 Posts
Next were the inner uprights for the hatch to set and rest into, finally once set and the hatch fitted, the whole thing can then be sanded flush with the existing deck.

grease can finally be added to give a totally waterproof resistance once the boat is all painted, varnished and finished.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:55 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,303 Posts
Today was a day for cracking all four end box bulkheads and dry fitting the tops to see where the moulding fits and doesn't fit, and it's a more of a case of the latter.

I made the mould for the tops when the moulding was green and they have settled somewhat since pulling out the mould last year, and some filler will be needed.......probably by the bucket load...........but hey ho.........all adds to the fun of it..............I won't re make the mould for the tops, but will put some heat onto them just before gluing to pull them out a bit.

But first I started by putting little blocks into the stem and stern to support the ends of the top boxes. I set these in with polyester filler.

Next I possitioned the cross beams for the bulkheads to but upto.

Nest I made card templates for the bulkheads that fit into the tops and when they fit well I transfered those templates to 4mm ply, ( they will eventually be capped with 1.8mm mahogany faced ply that have been drawn with simulated planking, but that will come later when everything fits perfectly........I feel more filler coming on, lol

Finally I glued the bulkheads to the cross frames.

the final pictures show the tops of the end boxes fitted but not glued on.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:48 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,303 Posts
Today was a good day, unlike yesterday when I spent a whole day looking for the chuck key on my dremel drill to do a job, didn't find it and then badly cut my soriosis covered knee catching it on a sharp wooden box cover.......got sodall done and an injured knee into the bargain.

Today I found my chuck key ( well one of them) and then took a drive to the model shop at Lancaster...they had my epoxy glue in and some very nice 3/32" veneered ply so that I could start panelling my bulwarks and covering the hollow made by the protective belting......great day.
so when I got home I started cutting the panels...each one separately to fit to the correct deck sheer.

As the planking on these lifeboats (and all british wooden lifeboats for that matter) was diagonally planked, I needed the grain on my panels to run the same direction at approximately 45degrees, sloping backwards towards the stern from the top edge, and so I had to cut each panel from my sheet at 45degrees.

To get it to fit nicely to the sheer of the deck I used my trusty pencil stub to run along the deck at right angles to the panel ( which had been clamped to the side of the boat) which gave a parallel line on the panel to the deck........it was then sanded to that line on my belt linisher. the ends joining together along the bulwarks were left as a 45* scarf joint, and all lengths cut to fit.

Next step will be to draw the diagonal plank lines onto the timber with dark pencil line and then glue the panels to the boat using two part epoxy.

the tops will be trimmed level along with the correct height to the bulwarks once it has all been glued and set.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,303 Posts
Had a nice day indoors today, marking out and scoring the planking on the inner gunwales of the two lifeboats.

they were marked out and drawn with pencil to give the diagonal inner layer of planking of the hull, and then scored with a scribe.

I don't think I'll varnish these, as I'm sure they would have been painted and bitumined ( or equivelant) to keep them from decaying and rotting away, and so the score lines will show up as the individual planks once painted with a matt or satin black........but then again I might have a change of mind.....modellers licence,

It was just then a case of gluing them onto the fibreglass hull using 2 part epoxy adhesive and spring clamps.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:30 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,316 Posts
I'm awake.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:55 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
I'm awake.

It's always a bonus at our age of life, when you can wake up in a morning..........another day, another bit o' life
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:46 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,944 Posts
What is "bitumined" ?
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:58 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,303 Posts
it's a black tar based paint covering, Tim, similar to what is used for adding to the string when caulking joints between planking on hulls and decks to make them completely watertight.

it could be painted over flat surfaces to make them also waterproof against weather and water.