HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:40 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,844 Posts
what is the planned ballast material? lead shot held in place with resin might help in getting the weight low and tight to the keel.. everthing is looking great (as always)
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:36 PM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,305 Posts
Hi Tg...........I was going to use lead shot for the ballast, but it is going to take 6.5 kilos for each boat in ballast and that would cost me close to 200US$ just to ballast them, so am going to use lead sheet that we use for roofing waterproofing, cut to shape and embedded in resin for the boats.....even that is going to cost around 50 bucks for the two boats.
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:53 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,844 Posts
try an auto or motocycle shop for used wheel weights..I was just over at the machine shop for the physics dept at the university were I work, they were pouring lead bricks with special lead that has low background radiation. they stack them two layers thick per pallet, about 8 pallets were already lined up, several tons easy..I have some of the older ones in my shop, I'd send you one but the shipping cost would stupid
Last edited by tghsmith; Jan 10, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:48 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,305 Posts
thanks Tg......I have a bucket full of those from my local tyre fitter, and use them for fine trimming, but when you need 6.5 kilos the weights take up a lot of space so lead sheet will be the way I'll go.

cheers for the info though.

neil
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:18 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,844 Posts
thought on the crazy "thats way to involved" side of things, place hull in level stand, pour 2 part mold making material into spaces were ballast is wanted, let cure,remove and invert the bilge plugs you just made, cover with plaster of paris, let that cure, remove plugs from plaster, let plaster dry completely, fill plaster molds with molten lead,let cool, break away plaster, install custom fitted weights into hull.. (nothing is ever fun unless you overcomplicate it)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:35 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,305 Posts
that sounded far to complicated for me TG...........I wanted something simple...........so went down the scrap merchants today and bought 14 kilo of lead sheet for 30 bucks and have cut up the first lot for the sailing boat and seated it in wedging down with the servo/battery box midships..before I set it in woth some resin tomorrow I'll give it another bath just to make sure it isn't too heavy, taking into acount the weight of the masts/top boxesand batteries plus resin.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:52 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,844 Posts
I was just having some fun(did have my monty python t-shirt on)the sheet looks great , easy to shape and fit!, but maybe add some small holes in the lead sheets and some milled fiberglass fibers to the resin, I've seen lead pop free of resin after time (dissimilar material expansion crap) maybe bed the lead with silicone should keep it in place well and is some what removable if changes are required..
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:00 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,305 Posts
thats a good idea TG, as once the deck is sealed, the last thing I'd want is for a sheet to come free.....not thought that far......cheers......will drill and set with some silicon.
as to the second boat.......

I ballasted the motor sailor this afternoon, but before I could do that I had to make a "dam" around the motor so that once I poured in the resin to set the lead sheet in place, it wouldn't flow into the well that I had made for the motor to set into.

Now both have had lead added I can give them both a bath, and add or take out any that is not needed before adding the resin. but I'll bed them both in with silicon as you suggest, and drill some holes in the lead to interlock the lead to resin
I have also taken into account the weight of the batteries, motor sevos and estimated weight of any materials for the rest of the build.

Here's the second boat, the motor sailor.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:30 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,305 Posts
The bilge keels and running skegs were next to be fashioned from strips of obeche......

These were cut (on the gluing edge) to the contour of the hull at each point and then copied to a second piece each, for the second boat.

Further, the shape of them was also cut as per plans and/or photographic evidence. they were then shaped to roughly the profile end elevation and sanded to true shape..

Next they were drilled with a 2.00mm bit to take the retaining pins and these were made from brass rod and secured in place with 2 part epoxy adhesive.

They were offered up to the hull once set and the holes were marked in the hull for those retaining pins to set into.

Finally a layer of polyester filler was used as adhesive/filler and placed onto the gluing edge of the skegs.....these were then pressed home and once the filler had oozed from under the gluing edge, scraped off with a piece of ply wood and the skegs left to set....

They will later be sanded down and then numerous coats of sanding sealer added to the naked wood work to seal before the hull is painted and waterproofed.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:50 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,992 Posts
Neil those bilge keel really bring out the shape of these boats, coming along well !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,305 Posts
aye..........bringing a little character to the boats now, Tim.........also been sanding the rear of the hull around the filled in tunnel on the sailer this afternoon.....the keels are now well and truly stuck in place now.
getting closer to the decks going on now.
neil
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:38 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,323 Posts
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,305 Posts
the more I look at the boat, the more there is to do before I put the deck onto the boat.

Today I spent time fairing in the rear propeller skeg on the motor sailer.

I used Milliput to firstly cover the propeller tube up.

Next was the surrounds to the propellor guard and this was also done with small lengths of milliput.
Finally small fillets made from rolled milliput was put into the edges where the skeg meets the hull.

On another tack I put the stern posts onto the rear of the boat, using 3mm ply, and faired in with polyester filler.

the next stage when all is set and cured is to sand them smooth and trim up.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:03 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,992 Posts
Looks like a nice high quality Prop Shop Prop you have there ...
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:21 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,844 Posts
not having a good hobby shop in the area I had forgotton the usefullness of milliput, will have to see where the best deal is to order some up.. the hull work looks great!!