HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:05 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
Discussion
custom DSM2 rx?

what is the easyest way to make a DSM2 Rx board? could you take apart a DSM2 rx and put it back together like you wanted?
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:01 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Just curious what you mean by custom and why you want to do it? If you are good enough, you could surely remove the components from a working RX, make your own PC board and put the components on it. With the small clones like these I don't really see a reason for doing it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Receiver_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Receiver_.html
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:28 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,940 Posts
Why not just use a remote receiver (or two) and build on that?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:29 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
I do modify my OrangeRx's to be a bit more 'custom'. I first ditch the electrolytic cap on the Rx with a slightly larger tantalum cap. I also remove the case and add a thin-walled polyolefin heat shrink.

The mods increase the longevity, temperature tolerance, and overall size of the Rx. I'm happy with the results.
acetech09 is online now Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
im looking to pull off the chip and rx ic and mount them on a new board and run the PPM signals to an AVR then an hbridge for a 6ch actuator RX... ive pulled off chips with a torch before and had them working, but had a failure rate of 50%. im looking to get a hot air rework station and try it that way. im hoping to have a rx and brushed esc for less than 4 grams...
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:29 PM
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
I have a good hot air rework setup now, but in the past have removed and installed a lot of 100+ pin QFPs with just a hardware store heat gun(paint stripper) and a hot plate for pre-heating. The trick to getting large SMT parts off(and back on again) without damage is proper pre-heating. You want the high temperature hot air applied for as short a time as possible when removing parts.

Like Andy said, you might want to consider using a complete satellite receiver and just doing a separate board for the AVR and H-Bridge. Don't know the weight of the satellite, but it is very small and probably under 2 grams especially if you remove the connector. Doubt you could save much weight by putting them on the same board. If you search here you can find complete details of the protocol for the satellite connector, and probably even some AVR code to handle it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html

PS Here is a lint to one thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922566
Last edited by jeffs555; Sep 02, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:35 AM
UK
Joined Aug 2000
1,082 Posts
Hi. I uses a hot plate to solder and remove SMD components. Mine is a little over 100W. Switch the power off when the solder melts and pick the components off with fine tweezers. http://www.flyelectric.org.uk/hot_plate.htm

Making the PCB yourself can be done but it is harder because it normally needs vias and the solder-resist on professionally made boards helps reduce bridging between pads and traces.
Regards, David.
David T is offline Find More Posts by David T
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:40 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
im looking to pull off the chip and rx ic and mount them on a new board and run the PPM signals to an AVR then an hbridge for a 6ch actuator RX... ive pulled off chips with a torch before and had them working, but had a failure rate of 50%. im looking to get a hot air rework station and try it that way. im hoping to have a rx and brushed esc for less than 4 grams...
There isn't any PPM signal to capture.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:33 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
Have a word with DavidT 4grams would be quite heavy for him lol
http://www.deltang.co.uk/ Impressive product line

Quote:
Originally Posted by David T View Post
Hi. I uses a hot plate to solder and remove SMD components. Mine is a little over 100W. Switch the power off when the solder melts and pick the components off with fine tweezers. http://www.flyelectric.org.uk/hot_plate.htm

Making the PCB yourself can be done but it is harder because it normally needs vias and the solder-resist on professionally made boards helps reduce bridging between pads and traces.
Regards, David.
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Last edited by SadSack; Sep 04, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:30 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
yes, they are very impressve, and impressively price, as well. (you DO get what you pay for...)
i am assuming there is a ppm out, as this is what the servos use on a R610. pulling off the chips is eaiser for me, as im more hardware than software. i have a very hard time understanding C, but ASM is easy for me. not a lot documentation in ASM. yes, im a script kiddie.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:22 PM
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
You are confusing PPM and PWM. PPM is the signal sent by the old analog transmitters and it is decoded into the individual PWM servo signals by the receiver. With spektrum 2.4GHz, the signal is sent by a proprietary digital protocol and is decoded in the receiver into PWM servo pulses. There is no PPM on the spektrum receiver. You would need to monitor and time 6 servo signals and convert them to the actuator pulses. The servo pulses do not necessarily come out sequentially and several could come out at the same time. Not an easy task to time with precision. That is why you would probably be better off starting with the satellite receiver which has a single digital output.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:06 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
oh, my bad. id be eaiser with the satilite, but i suck at the UART.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:25 AM
UK
Joined Aug 2000
1,082 Posts
Regardless of what you call the servo output pulses, they should be staggered in the receivers you mention. They are simply pulses that you can measure one at a time and use that to update your outputs. However, I think you will find the more channels you do, the harder it is to schedule measuring pulses and generating outputs.

Using a satellite will allow you to use a single port interface instead of up to the 6 you need for capturing servo outputs. This choice affects code and board size. The satellite will give you an accurate, jitter-free numeric value for each channel. This will be easier to manage in your code if you use hardware UART.

Satelites and most donor receivers will normally have a separate MCU and RF chips. The AR500 and AR6110 use a combo chip (CYRF69103). So starting with one of those could reduce overall board size.

I would start with a simple development board to write initial code and get that working. I'd connect to an external receiver/satellite with fly leads. I'd only try to make the miniature combined version later.
dt.
David T is offline Find More Posts by David T
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
your probly right, david. ill start off with the satilite.