HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:23 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,212 Posts
Hey Andrew, when you do a fill and close job, do you spread the foam on both halves of the mould or just one?
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:45 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,427 Posts
Josh, absolutely 100% definitely all over the surface of both halves. That's critical.

Hey I had an idea today, for making more advanced wings like DS wings that need spars and aileron stiffeners. What if we did the same thing, (full smear over both inside skins) and then lay a full sized piece of mylar over one mould half (with holes cut around the joiner pin areas) then close and clamp the mould? Then when it's cured, split the 2 halves apart and pull the mylar out. If it works, you'll have both halves fully foam filled, but perfectly flush fitting with no trimming required, and you'll reap the benefits of the internal back pressure giving good density under the skins.

At your leisure, mark out and cut trenches for the socked spars and stiffeners etc and test fit them to make sure the mould closes OK. Also dig out a cm or so back from the LE's and tips and clean up the very back edge of the TE too. Then when ready to finish it, do as I did with my light blue foam cored Scratcho ... wet up the socked spars. Mix up some Ampreg and put a band of it around the edges, a bead along the TE, some dribbled into spar slots and some smeared over the flush fit surface. If you don't have Ampreg, maybe a thinner splooge edge, and just epoxy or PU glue to join the main surface and TE. Then close and clamp and cure for a day or 2. I think this is the best of both worlds and can't wait to try it!
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Last edited by AvB; Sep 03, 2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:58 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,017 Posts
Great idea Andrew! Man you think up some good stuff!
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:14 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,427 Posts
Yeah nah yeah nah ... should be working not thinking about this stuff. But you could even use 2 bits of laminating film between the moulds (shiny sides out). Or maybe just Glad Bake greaseproof paper.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:15 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,004 Posts
You could make 2 separate flat lids for the mold halves so they are assured to be flat. I think the mylar might bend around too much. That's another way I had planned out this process but my current wing mold won't work thanks to the geometry.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:01 PM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,212 Posts
I like it Andrew!
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:08 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,427 Posts
Troy, I'm thinking that it doesn't matter at all if the mylar bends. It's going to be a perfect mating of the 2 halves, even if the join is a bit wavy in the middle. Irregularities in the surface won't affect the placement of spars etc.

I've been dreaming up a "wing in a day" video. Get a bunch of guys, paint the mold early, lay up soon after using fast resin, vac bag and hot cure for a few hours, unwrap and trim it, do the 2-side fast PU smear and close mould. By sunset you could pull out a finished wing! Would be quite fun and we could film the method close up.
Last edited by AvB; Sep 03, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:11 PM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,212 Posts
If you decide to pour in the foam then cut it off, dont do what I did yesterday and scratch your mould with the saw! (through the tape)
Need to go and buy a smoother saw!
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:02 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,004 Posts
It will be interesting to see how it works. I should be getting my wing ready for foam this week. I'll be trying 6 pound foam for a slope wing. I have carbon caps but no shear web.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:08 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
It will be interesting to see how it works. I should be getting my wing ready for foam this week. I'll be trying 6 pound foam for a slope wing. I have carbon caps but no shear web.
That's about what I would need too Troy. What is the product details please?
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:00 AM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,212 Posts
Whats the story with sparying some water on the foam to get it to foam up more? (like PU glue). I found the foam Im using doesnt foam up a great deal so I gave it a spray and now its foamed up like mad but now Im thinking the density will be really low. I guess I'll find out soon.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:53 AM
I hate propellors
Australia, SA, Normanville
Joined May 2009
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
Whats the story with sparying some water on the foam to get it to foam up more? (like PU glue). I found the foam Im using doesnt foam up a great deal so I gave it a spray and now its foamed up like mad but now Im thinking the density will be really low. I guess I'll find out soon.
Which foam is it josh, The AMC stuff I use I very vigorous. Have you kept the lid tight on the tins if not it might have gone off, With mine 4 gram of each component and It overflows a 175ml mixing cup
emufingers is online now Find More Posts by emufingers
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:03 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,427 Posts
Yeah same with the GP330. If you mix equal parts in a cup it foams like mad within 90 seconds. No need for water.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:49 AM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,212 Posts
Its the rfoam100, maybe it has gone off- I didnt think of that. I know it was colder than it was supposed to be. I will warm it up to 35*C next time like it says. this time I was too impatient!
Anyway, some water (very little) sprayed on after spreading it out seems to kick it off really well and not affect the hardness but too much and it sets very spongey- I had to dig that bit out and start again.
Anyway, moulds are joined and we'll see how it goes tomorrow.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:13 AM
I hate propellors
Australia, SA, Normanville
Joined May 2009
374 Posts
Here is the tech dsata sheet for RF 100

http://www.barnes.com.au/catalog/foa...am-p-2252.html
emufingers is online now Find More Posts by emufingers