HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
Discussion
How long does it take to charge!

Hello

Iv got a lipo 2200mah 11.1v 20c discharge battery I'm trying to find out how long it takes to charge I have a balance charger at a charging rate of 1.0A one light is green for power to the charger the other is red saying the loop is charging. It should go green once charged but I had it on last night for 4 hours and this morning for 1 hour in that time it didn't get hot and I kept my eye on it. The loop is brand new aswell is the charger
at6texan is offline Find More Posts by at6texan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:27 AM
3JJ
Finland, Northern Ostrobothnia, Oulu
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
Something like 2,5 hours should be enough. Probably the charger is in infinite balancing phase that never completes. Low-quality chargers can do that. Unplug the battery and measure individual cell voltages from the balance connector. If all 3 cells are close to 4,2 volts the battery is full and ready to go.
3JJ is offline Find More Posts by 3JJ
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:56 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,817 Posts
Scrap the charger and get one that will tell you what it is doing. There is no reason not to have acharger that provides the following information:
Charging current
Pack voltage
Individual cell voltages
Milliamphours (MAh) returned to the pack during charge.

It should:
Be a minimum of 50 watts, 100 would be better.
Have a discharge capability
Have storage charge capability

There are dozens of chargers like this available. Some for as little as $25.

See http://www.progressiverc.com/chargers/battery-chargers for some excellent but not as inexpensive examples. BTW even though there are $25 chargers available I prefer to spend a bit more to ensure better quality.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:10 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by at6texan View Post
Hello

Iv got a lipo 2200mah 11.1v 20c discharge battery I'm trying to find out how long it takes to charge I have a balance charger at a charging rate of 1.0A one light is green for power to the charger the other is red saying the loop is charging. It should go green once charged but I had it on last night for 4 hours and this morning for 1 hour in that time it didn't get hot and I kept my eye on it. The loop is brand new aswell is the charger
If it was a brand new never been charged before pack it should have come 1/2 charged. This would mean a charge time of about 1 1/2hrs with a 1A charge rate.
Like 3JJ said, you need to check the pack voltage and preferably the individual cell voltages. What do they read?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:03 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,111 Posts
Take thier advise,you need to start with a better quality charger many of the $25 E Bay chargers might be clones and not good, in that price range i recomend the Turnigy acucell 6,but if it were me i'd spend the extra and not look back I Charger 106B.I've been where you are at in this hobby and wasted money like most of us.Lots of good guys on here and they'll save you money in the long run do it right first time.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:44 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,111 Posts
Just to give you an idea,this thread and another have aroused my curiosity to see if i could get the Imax clones to work in some fasion of saftey.These two chargers were put in my kit working a year plus ago.The first one claims voltage error with everything set correctly on a 2s Tx pack and the other which is the ac/dc version has a power sourse failure but works when i supply power via a laptop supply however the finished balance voltage on my 2s Tx pack is 4.216 and 4.205 a little bit high so basically these chargers are something i will just drop in a dustbin.Waste of money junk.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
Once again thanks for the advise,
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
323 Posts
Shouldn't it only take about 45 minutes to charge a 3S 2200 pack?
overmyhead is offline Find More Posts by overmyhead
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:49 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,116 Posts
F
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
Shouldn't it only take about 45 minutes to charge a 3S 2200 pack?
Depends on the C-rate used for charging.
At a 1C charge rate, it will take 1hr to fill a discharged pack if if the current could be kept at 1C, but it can't, once the charge voltage reaches 4.2V/cell, the current starts to decrease until it is very low. Therefore the charging time will be longer than 1 hour.

Charge ar a higher C-rate and the time decreases proportionately.

In his case he is charging at 1A which is under a 0.5 C-rate.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
I don't understand this, I took my plane out today after being on charge for 4 hours and it didn't last 5 seconds on full throttle. It's like the charger wasn't charging. But it's only the second time iv charge it, it's brand new.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:17 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,116 Posts
Sounds like it never charged which goes along with the "I had it on last night for 4 hours and this morning for 1 hour in that time it ".

Without knowing the pack voltage we are blind. Somehow someway you need to measure the voltage of the pack and if possible each cell. Know someone with a voltmeter or cell checker?

What is the name/model of this charger?

(IMO, the charger has worked neither time.)
Last edited by hoppy; Aug 30, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by at6texan View Post
The loop is brand new aswell is the charger
What model is the charger and what is this "loop" you speak of?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:36 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,116 Posts
loop = lipo
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
It's a dynam balance charger, and it's a dynam 2200mah 11.1v 20c discharge lipo battery, at the moment it's on red that means it charging which refers to the instruction manual.

On the balance charger it says li-polymer, 2-3 cells lipo battery, input - 10v to 15v, charge rate : 1.0a

It's says it goes green once fully charged, but iv never seen it go green always stays in red, but like I said had it on for 4 hours and it only give me 5 seconds full throttle
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:12 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,116 Posts
at6texan,
My suggestion is to stop charging and find a voltmeter. Without knowing the voltages we don't know whats happening.