SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
780 Posts
Discussion
Re-Securing monokote on a slimer

I have a slimer which was built from a kit. The monokote/ekonokote is pulling away at some points along with some of the trim tape.

The trim tape that was effected by the dreaded 'slime' is coming loose at points and is a gooey mess as far as adhesives go.

Sad thing is I even used balsaright.

The econokote is peeling away at the front of the fuselage due to a combination of slime and high speeds

Anyhow I tried cleaning things and applying silicone. Some of it stuck but others did not.

Any ideas on getting the lose bits tagged back down?
UlteriorModem is online now Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
If it is having a problem sticking to wood, try treating the wood with K2R. I used to use this back in my slimer days, and it worked surprisingly well. K2R is a carpet cleaner, and sprays on in a medium gel consistency. It will foam up over night, and then turn to a white powder that you brush off....and most of the oil goes with it. May take an application or two.

If it is covering to covering... clean the base with acetone, and cut your new patch with rounded corners (as you have noticed the pointy pieces peel).
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,802 Posts
Re-Securing monokote on a slimer

Hammer and nails ?

That's why many like 'electrickery' power.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Aug 2011
780 Posts
Thanks for the idea. I like the K2R idea and might try that. Tough the wood is not really soaked. It is the wind peeling the monokote away and then the slme gets beneath it. Then the slime attacks the adhesives which turn to goo and makes the problem worse.

What I am asking for is a good adhesive that really bonds to monokote.
UlteriorModem is online now Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:49 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
What I am asking for is a good adhesive that really bonds to monokote.
Not sure your going to find it.... I used Balsarite and the likes including a solvent for the Monocote adhesive. Nothing really worked any better than what was already on the covering.

Not trying to start a covering war, but want to mention....
FWIW, I swore off Monocote years ago as I had issues with it shattering. For me it stuck fine, but this was YEARS ago. Over the years I've occasionally read posts where folks were having issues with Monocote not sticking. Seem to go in bunches. There was a rather lengthy discussion about this issue on RCU that "somehow" the negative posts disappeared. I quit following the thread because of that, but some of the guys complaining were Toledo show winners for their Monocote finishes. Take it for what it's worth, but I'm leaning towards their side of the story.
Also I've seen guys ARFS at the field that were covered with Monocote do the same thing you are describing.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:41 PM
NMPRA 86T
United States, FL, Winter Haven
Joined Jan 2008
182 Posts
Thin CA will tack it back down without it peeling up again. I have had the covering on a fuselage for Q500 quickies come loose, and I can tack it back down with a drop of thin CA. It holds up to 175 plus speeds, and is impervious to fuel exhaust. Just remember, you only get one shot at getting it right, and it is permanent!
ScorpionRacing is offline Find More Posts by ScorpionRacing