HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Sep 2007
792 Posts
Discussion
Shouldn't the DEA have to communicate when they are going to invade my airspace?

Went out to fly some FPV under the low clouds today, but someone else beat me to it. Suddenly a MD chopper comes out of the woods to my right and swoops down the hill in front of me. Comes back up vertical, basically does a stall turn, swoops back the other way and starts to circle over the houses/fields below me.

If I had been in the air it could have been a serious issue. It is not right for them to invade my legal airspace unannounced.
benderfly is offline Find More Posts by benderfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:40 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:
91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.
Not to mention they're police so they are especially insulated from the law.
They were probably doing a drug sweep of nearby fields. Not much you can
do but see and avoid. Also, it's not "your" airspace. The FAA has said before
that it has domain over everything over the surface.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
They are on to you! I hope you have a tin foil hat over your Tx (oh, right, never mind..)
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Sep 2007
792 Posts
It is definitely a pot sweep, they do it every year.

My point really is that a little courtesy would go a long way. Once the police all start flying UAVs everywhere they will need to be a little more cautious.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:59 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,844 Posts
Will make for interesting times, flying into the 'Drone Age'
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Nov 2005
675 Posts
They can't give any one a heads up because that would defeat the purpose of a sting. You should be happy they are out there trying to make the world a safer place.
soulreaper is offline Find More Posts by soulreaper
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,820 Posts
Unfortunately for us, our founding fathers never thought of aircraft. Therefore you have no airspace. The air one inch above your lawn belongs to the National Airspace.

Pretty lame, but it highlights how important the bill of rights is.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Sep 2007
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
They can't give any one a heads up because that would defeat the purpose of a sting. You should be happy they are out there trying to make the world a safer place.
Well yes that is true. Wasn't thinking from the culprit perspective. And you are right those mean green plants will sneak up and get you.

I am a big fan of our armed forces, national guard, national and local law enforcement. But they are always saying safety first yet are the only ones flying at low altitudes trying to find something tha could just as easily be found with a little information technology.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jan 2009
3,901 Posts
As pot reflects IR better than other plants throw a bunch of ir leds on batteries in the fields. that will disturb their searching.

http://www.lifepixel.com/infrared-ph...-uses-military
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:08 PM
No JR tx here!
Eastern ND
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
Is this your land? If so, unless the police have a search warrant for your property, I would consider this invasion of privacy.
JRFlyerFPV is offline Find More Posts by JRFlyerFPV
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Sep 2007
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFlyerFPV View Post
Is this your land? If so, unless the police have a search warrant for your property, I would consider this invasion of privacy.
Where they were hovering and circling is not my land. Just directly in front of my runway.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:00 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
paintball gun.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:13 AM
USA, CA, Ahwahnee
Joined Sep 2004
573 Posts
We get pot copters flying over our part of the woods everyonce in a while. They fly looooowwww.
powerstroke01 is online now Find More Posts by powerstroke01
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:01 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFlyerFPV View Post
You do not own the airspace over your property except where you
might reasonably extend a structure from the ground up into it. While
you may not like that as a property owner, it does mean that as an FPV pilot
you can fly over other people's property without significant restriction.
Where you take off and land is another matter, but posted restricted airspace
aside, you can legally fly over just about anything.

From what I understand, what some municipalities have done is
simply make it illegal to launch and land your camera carrying RC aircraft
from anywhere they have jurisdiction, thus making it practically illegal to
fly over any property within that municipality (targeting the paparazzi).

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Aug 29, 2012 at 01:07 AM.