HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by MAP123, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:17 PM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
221 Posts
Discussion
TopSky Super Mini back in the air, then down again.

OK, I've long since fixed the servo problem I was having before. Turns out, the plug harness was fine, but where the signal wire of the left flaperon servo was soldered onto the receiver was bad. So, I replaced the receiver with an AR6200 since I have the Spektrum module for my JR 8103 now, and I haven't had a problem like that since.

The problem came while flying in the wind today. There are maybe 10-15 mph gusts out there, and while the TS Super Mini will cut through the wind just fine, especially when ballasted, you sometimes can stall out when the wind shifts direction and you are low or have too little airspeed. I had a few rough landings, then on the last, it came almost straight down from about 15 feet up. The rear anchor point for the wing bolt broke out of the pod. I made it with hard balsa, so this will be a good opportunity to replace it and the front one with plywood or hardwood, since I'm not sure I have any plywood here.

Yesterday was a good flying day for the Super Mini. In fact, I'm a little sore today from launching so much yesterday. I put about two full 350 mAh packs through it. It was the first time I've ever had to change battery packs in the middle of a flying session. Usually, it either gets too dark, or starts to rain, or much more likely, I have a problem with the plane.
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:20 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,952 Posts
I hear you. I've had servo problems which resulted in my E-flite Blade 400 getting stuffed in. Ditto my Kyosho aiRium J-3 Cub. Had I not been able to somewhat control that model's landing, I'd have written it off. The parts are monstrously expensive, but damage was limited to the wing (forty bucks for plastic-coated foam), the cowl and the prop, of which I had some spares.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DismayingObservation View Post
I hear you. I've had servo problems which resulted in my E-flite Blade 400 getting stuffed in. Ditto my Kyosho aiRium J-3 Cub. Had I not been able to somewhat control that model's landing, I'd have written it off. The parts are monstrously expensive, but damage was limited to the wing (forty bucks for plastic-coated foam), the cowl and the prop, of which I had some spares.
Yeah, servo problems on a heli are almost always bad news. The J-3 Cub at least wants to fly on its own, so long as a control surface isn't stuck at a really bad angle.

Luckily for me, the servo that kept giving me problems was just a single flaperon, not the elevator. You can fly on a single aileron, but so much without elevator. Always on the last flight or so when it would cut out, it just felt mushy on aileron, then when I pulled flaps to land, it would roll.
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123