SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:04 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,952 Posts
Discussion
It IS fun!

Thanks to a minimal infusion of cash, my honked-up SkyFly 2 returns to the fleet in glory!

My little experiment did in fact work well. Almost too well. The CG seems to be fine, but it almost doesn't want to come down. Climbs great, though. Takeoffs are darn near vertical and if you've never seen a SkyFly 2 go vertical as it lifts off, you're in for a treat when you do. It's hilariously funny. I'll try some ballast or a heavier battery, but space being limited, I used a Turnigy Nano-Tech 1000mAh 3S for the maiden which fit perfectly. All that power makes it one heck of a powered glider; I almost didn't have to run the motor once I got it up a couple of hundred feet or so.

Best of all, I had an entire radio system I could devote to the project, one which I'd forgotten. It's the Spring RC TG661A six-channel 2.4GHz "el cheapo" I pulled from my Rotor Concept quadcopter when I updated it with a Spektrum AR660 receiver. It may have worked poorly in the quad, but it works to sheer perfection in this project. It not only cost zilch, it no longer collects dust.

Also no longer collecting dust is the ExceedRC 40A ESC I'd pulled from my second-hand The World Models P-51 electric when I updated it to a SuperTigre .10 outrunner. The timing was all wrong, so I bought a SuperTigre ESC and shelved the ExceedRC for just such an occasion. I was going to use an old Sonix 18A controller, but I figured that the cushion I'd get with the 40A was worth it since it's spinning a Turnigy Park 450 1050kV outrunner and an APC 7x5E prop. All I really had to do was to resolder one of the motor connectors since the insulation on that particular wire was nicked close to the connector. Cut off the nick, resoldered the wire, new shrink wrap...done. Yet another bonus was a brand new wheel which was an extra packed with one of my Hacker Model Production review subjects. It was rescued from the parts bin and it's serving as the nosewheel. It's retained by a regular wheel collar also rescued from the parts bin instead of the plastic cap which retained the original.

The only parts I bought for the project besides the motor and prop were the wing (the hobby shop owner is a friend of mine and he sold it to me for five bucks, practically begging me to take it) and fuselage for which I paid full pop at another hobby shop since it had to be ordered. No decals, so I semi-successfully peeled off the originals. The decals have a clear plastic overlay which in turn peeled off. Can't have everything, I suppose.

All in all, time and hobby money well spent.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Aug 28, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts