HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:18 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
Freddie what plane is that your hiding on the side of your tool box ? i didnt think you used KF airfoils anymore
What you see is a printout of the KFm airfoils from 2 years ago. These are as Dick Kline posted to me. I did that when I was trying KFm airfoils and keep it around for referance. After all as I read posts on KFm I sometimes need a refresher! Maybe you saw my twin Cessna looking twin motor own design that is blue? That my friend doesn't fly unless it goes real fast because of the KFm on it. Nice plane needs a new wing one day!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:00 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,359 Posts
Like the cooling holes Freddie good cooling and good looks cant beat that. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:08 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
Fred,
Thanks for sharing the submerged duct data sheet. I always wondered what the parameters were. Usually did TLAR on these. Not sure if its that finicky at this scale.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:47 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Like the cooling holes Freddie good cooling and good looks cant beat that. joe

Thanks Joe, I love these things too BTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Fred,
Thanks for sharing the submerged duct data sheet. I always wondered what the parameters were. Usually did TLAR on these. Not sure if its that finicky at this scale.

Ken

Thank you too Ken. I'm not sure how fussy one should be, but I figure if the US Government can spend millions giving aero science a grant to develope these things and they perfect it to absolute scientific tested data I will use it as close as possible "just because". Got to love good data that is so easy to copy anyway!

Fred
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:59 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

I don't try to add un-necessary wood to my foamy builds, but in the case of battery and gear I always put in some wood to mount the velcro and such to. I also am aware that a 2100mah 2 cell lipo is a bit long and might cause much rash down in the compartment when inserting and removing. So a balsa support for the main former was fashoned and glued into place also.

Fred

Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:14 PM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
Hood Scoop DRAG

HaY Fred speaking of cooling holes/scoops.I put a small thin clear plastic scoop on my jet on the bottom right at the battery cover the cover has holes in it.I put the opening of the scoop facing to the front/nose and I made bigger exhaust hole in the rear for air to escape.the opening of the scoop is about 1/4" by 1" do you think its creating too much DRAG.I never really thought about drag when I put it on.
Thanks Ken
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:18 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparken57 View Post
HaY Fred speaking of cooling holes/scoops.I put a small thin clear plastic scoop on my jet on the bottom right at the battery cover the cover has holes in it.I put the opening of the scoop facing to the front/nose and I made bigger exhaust hole in the rear for air to escape.the opening of the scoop is about 1/4" by 1" do you think its creating too much DRAG.I never really thought about drag when I put it on.
Thanks Ken
Hi Ken,

Don't be too concerned as we all have used the plastic spoon type of scoop and sometimes I still do. Anything sticking out in the air stream causes drag, but to what degree is able to be calculated but beyond our needs. What I would do is try this NACA type next time because it sure doesn't stick out in the air stream and should give a small boost of speed and reserved power consumption.

Fred
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:21 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

ESC and wiring to the motors going in next, trying to keep things tidy and orderly. Also keeping the ESC up front for CG and cooling concerns!

Fred

Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,359 Posts
Your making me feel right at home with all that wood in this one Freddie . I just stocked up on balsa yesterday getting ready for some winter building . joe
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:24 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Your making me feel right at home with all that wood in this one Freddie . I just stocked up on balsa yesterday getting ready for some winter building . joe
Lucky I have a bunch of Balsa left from a long time ago, and some not so long time ago. Since I kept it in a box, it all seems like new (we hope). When I get my current 3 builds done I don't know what I will build next........ Maybe with all the contests I should have a 'What will Freddie B build next? Contest" LOL.

My Winter building will be all kinds of things. Wifey brought home some old picture frames with oil paintings that her parents owned. Dad would be 105 years old, and traveled the World as a Dentist in the US Army. Guessing some are from Italy, and Germany too. They had the fancy moulded frame work which was damaged and missing in areas. So I had to try my model building skills to re-build and repair them for her. Look at the samples of this effort so far. She wanted them to still look old, but not beat to heck!

Wasting time? Not if someone likes to own what you build or make for them!

Fred

Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:32 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

Cleaned up the ESC wires, and mounted the switch that arms the motor, along with some red and yellow lables to identify the switch positions.

Fred

Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post

Cleaned up the ESC wires, and mounted the switch that arms the motor, along with some red and yellow lables to identify the switch positions.

Fred

Do you buy the switch arms or make your own Freddie ? joe
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:56 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Do you buy the switch arms or make your own Freddie ? joe
The FMA ESC I had came with it. Many good quality Brushed ESC's in the older days (6 years ago or more) had switches. I think there is issues putting switches on Brushless ESC's but I am no expert! Maybe someone else can answer that question?

Fred
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:00 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

More wood for Joe! Needed to have a bit of stiffness to the sort of large access hatch area as I plan on having a simple cover here. This did give a good deal of improvement BTW.

Fred

Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:10 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

Time to glue on the rear, bottom fuselage skin with it's cooling NACA submerged ducting. Then a quick, rough sanding to make it flush to the fuselage sides. Filler and final touchup sanding will follow later.

Fred