HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:06 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I think all of us who build tune planes are a little special but the ones who enlarge them,ha ha .lol joe

I think I will keep my response freindly, but it is hard....... So I'm the one that enlarged one...... Darn, now I'm not in the club anymore......

Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,359 Posts
Now your talking freddie fire em up !:d
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:07 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Now your talking freddie fire em up !:d
Got a bit of heavy and important business coming up end of week that will take me through next Friday. Probably will not find time to build because I will have to sleep, and .... eat! LOL. But I hope to be ready to get them Johnson 250 babies fired up real soon! They better motivate this baby because I don't want to have any retrofits to do!

Hope to get something done prior, so we will see! Thanks all for staying in touch and we will get this done real soon!

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Oct 11, 2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:05 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Homemade Blind Nut

Seems to work.....

Pam used as release agent.
Newsprint square used as rove.
5 Minute epoxy.

Steps I took:
1 Poke a small hole in rove to screw it onto the bolt and make a flange shape.
2 Cut hole in foam with tubing punch for good sliding clearance.
3 Push bolt through foam, screw on rove, and epoxy tip area of threads and rove.
4 Pull back into foam drawing in the epoxy.
5 Dab epoxy over rove outside.
6 Dab a little around bolt on other side of foam
7 Let cure, and unscrew. I waited until a fairly hard cure before unscrewing, to avoid damaging threads.

Will check tomorrow after full cure to see how well it holds -- but I think it will do well.

Suggestions for improvement:

Rove on both sides of foam.
Plywood rove for severe conditions
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Last edited by vtdiy; Oct 10, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:22 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Probably should wait until tomorrow, because the epoxy still isn't very hard yet, but curiosity got the better of me.

That's a 2 quart bottle of vegetable oil, which I weighed at 3 lbs. hanging from the head of that screw. No visible deformation of the foam or rove.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:08 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Very cool indeed, I like it a lot. That should actually be about as strong as tapping balsa and then hardening the threads in the wood with CyA. The newsprint flange would seem too lightweight, but you sure proved that it is not. The Plywood is a cool thought, and even 1/32" (0.8mm) would be pretty tough. Epoxy varies how long it takes to get fully hard, and I usually find the 5 minute stuff to fully cure the fastest, but I am sure there is no hurry when adding bolts and the respective holes.

This has to be much lighter than using 'T' nuts too BTW. Just think all the things that could have this process done and probably even could do in a pinch in a blind area, or as a fix for a damaged spot!

Thanks Vtdiy I do love how you think outside the box so often and come up with some pretty cool tecniques.

Fred

PS check what time I'm posting because I am over worked and under paid! LOL
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:17 AM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
Lqqking good fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice076 View Post
Hi Fred I've been a lurkin for a while and been meaning to say ALL RIGHT WOOHOO etc. gotta love the A10.Lookin good man,I havn't used fff yet(been on a epp kick), but I built a A10 out of 3mm+5mm cellfoam 88.That was my second build and still havn,t flown it.Everytime I see your thread up here I get to thinking of mine,and remember It took me a long time to line it up right.Glad that part is done,now I go for easier builds.Anyway here's a couple kind of fuzzy pics of mine(needs some camo still).Wish ya the best sir,Scott.
Wow its LQQKING good Fred takeing shape.Im hooked on this 1.
Ken
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:18 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,882 Posts
Fred,

Thought you'd get a kick out of this paper model (and maybe an idea....):

It's available here, and also comes in a "Peanut" scheme.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:50 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
A-10 Card Model

Impressive. I had no idea someone was offering cartoon style card models. Very nice.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:41 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparken57 View Post
Wow its LQQKING good Fred takeing shape.Im hooked on this 1.
Ken
Thank you Ken, I have had no opportunity to do more yet but I hope next week will allow more progress on the build. I would like to get this down the road so to say.

Fred
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:48 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Fred,

Thought you'd get a kick out of this paper model (and maybe an idea....):

It's available here, and also comes in a "Peanut" scheme.

Gene K
Gene K,

That is a very cool looking model. Paper models can be transformed into RC and I hope someone does that because it would be awesome. Thank you for sure and some of the details are great. If mine remains a belly lander then there would be issue with too many things hanging off of it ready to snag the grass. . .

My wingtips are the first thing I changed because of the issues of foam scrapping tarmac. I'll probably stay much less involved. That would make a cool project for fixed gear or retracts BTW.

Thanks for sharing that Gene!

Fred
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:56 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

I covered the belly pan on the wing with silkspan and floor wax, followed by Wood glue after drying, and post sanded it smooth.

Fred

Last edited by Freddie B; Oct 23, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post

I covered the belly pan on the wing with silkspan and floor wax, followed by Wood glue after drying, and post sanded it smooth.

Fred

You still got company over or just taking care of the wifey's list around the house freddie ? I have 5 fence posts to replace and its all flag stone in joliet once you go down 6 or so inches . Its time's like these i wish it would snow a couple feet . joe
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
You still got company over or just taking care of the wifey's list around the house freddie ? I have 5 fence posts to replace and its all flag stone in joliet once you go down 6 or so inches . Its time's like these i wish it would snow a couple feet . joe
I don't envy you! LOL. Snow, snow, come on snow! I went to Seattle but we are back, with a cold, tired, but happy! Saw 2 kids, 2 in-laws, 2 grand kids. But I am doing a complete update on our 10 year old home, 4,700 SqFt and it may be an all winter 'till complete kinda thing! I will be building part time. I tried to post photos today but failure! Probably have to change to a different computer.

I'd help you jack hammer some of that flagstone if I lived there!

Fred
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,359 Posts
I know you would freddie but thats for my older kids are for, till i get mad cause they are not doing it right or taking them long and i push them out of my way .lol If it get's to hard by hand i will run to my company shop and pick up our t-50 bobcat on tracks with a hole ogger and get it done real fast .The old posts that the wind snapped off are still in the ground and i think it will go easy getting them out. I can get back to building after this is done and the girlfriend might leave me alone for a week or two, i hope. Freddie its also good to get my older sons out of their fancy duds they were and see how i paid for their college degrees ,i got to get them dirty once in a while.lmao joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Oct 22, 2012 at 01:34 PM.