HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:15 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
NIIIICE whens the new granit tops comming.lmao New glue bottles for gorrila glue and new tips ,the bottom of the bottle is a little more squeeze friendly .I still will get it all over myself but i hope it will help to get smaller amounts on my plane. joe
LOL, hahahaha. I have Corian Counters (Man made Granite for those that don't know the name). But Wifey wants real granit, but I am resisting, firmly. Corian costs more than granit, so I am not destroying good counters. She can talk Sweetcakes into it after I'm gone and buried, if he's a dumb as I figure he will be. LOL

Gorilla Glue in tiny bottles, good. Costly, yes. If the glue starts to cure in the bottle, you will have a mess to clean it out. Someone told me to make a thing so you set the bottle in it up-side down when not using it. If the glue starts to cure in the bottle, it is now in the bottom (up portion) and not near the tip!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:19 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

Put some glue on the bellcrank for the rudders into it's intended location and cutout. Epoxy used for this, but pushrods are still loose in their EZ connector until the rudder horns are in place.

Fred

Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
LOL, hahahaha. I have Corian Counters (Man made Granite for those that don't know the name). But Wifey wants real granit, but I am resisting, firmly. Corian costs more than granit, so I am not destroying good counters. She can talk Sweetcakes into it after I'm gone and buried, if he's a dumb as I figure he will be. LOL

Gorilla Glue in tiny bottles, good. Costly, yes. If the glue starts to cure in the bottle, you will have a mess to clean it out. Someone told me to make a thing so you set the bottle in it up-side down when not using it. If the glue starts to cure in the bottle, it is now in the bottom (up portion) and not near the tip!

Fred
Thats how i keep my tight bond 11 glue in a dentist seringe upside down in water when not in use .Yes it was 3 somthing for the gorlla bottle but if i use less of it i hope it will save a little money. I will keep it upside down like you said but iam hoping i can pour more in from my bigger bottles when i need more.Good luck with the counter Freddie.lmao. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:34 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

Added rails to bottom of wing since this build will have a slight belly pan! Simple foam parts made, sanded flush, and a floor cut. Note I made provisions for the wing bolts to be recessed out of the airstream.

Fred

Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:39 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

Simple durability to the bolt holes. I took some paper strips, applied to the inside hole surface with epoxy. This makes the foam toughened inside the hole, and at it's edges when inserting bolts or tools. the light-weight filler shown helps when final sanding the paper strips with cured glue, flush with no tearing or seperation from the foam. Cheap and lightweight!

Fred

Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:45 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

Then I glued the belly pan onand did a bit of filling and sanding. I am going to go cover this in Silkspan and Glue like the rest of the airframe so far to toughen it and keep a consistant finish going on.

Fred

Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:25 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
I like the paper/epoxy lined bolt holes. Build looks super so far, as usual.

I'm wondering about maybe making blind mounting nuts with epoxy in a hole with a screw with release agent on it. Best if the epoxy could spread on the back face -- like a flange -- or maybe even a disk of paper there. You could make a good sized diameter flange that way -- really spread the stress.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:03 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
I like the paper/epoxy lined bolt holes. Build looks super so far, as usual.

I'm wondering about maybe making blind mounting nuts with epoxy in a hole with a screw with release agent on it. Best if the epoxy could spread on the back face -- like a flange -- or maybe even a disk of paper there. You could make a good sized diameter flange that way -- really spread the stress.
I think it would work. I would probably prefer to mix in some Micro Balloons if you have any, and 5 minute epoxy gets harder than 15 minute it seems BTW. If you don't have Micro Balloons, maybe try something else to give the epoxy a thickening effect, and a paper (card stock) disk sounds good. I would use Petroleum jelly as a release agent, and I would wait until the epoxy is thickened, but not cured (that stiff stage), and work the bolt back and forth as the glue fully hardens. On a normal tap and die, the tap cuts the threads in the hole about .003" oversize so the bolt will have some clearance, and this is what creats the backlash. By working the bolt in the epoxy as it is almost set, I think the same sloopyness, or small amount oc clearance would be obtained.

Let us know how it works. Nylon bolts are slippery to begin with so I'm guessing it's a neat idea. Don't test it on a real airframe first time LOL. I'll have to try this too someday myself, thanks!

What I did this time, Harbor Freight had a box of aluminum Top Hat type nuts, from 6-32" to 1/4-24" thread sizes, 25 each, in a box for around $4.00. I'm using the 10-24" size, so I have 98 nuts left to go! LOL. Had to roughen the surface and crimped a tooth or two on the brim so it wouldn't spin on me during feild use. Found them and had to try them.

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Oct 08, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:19 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Some progress and some discoveries....

So I went to instal the servo for my flaps and wanted to have a base coat of paint to act as a primer, but to also make sure my foam/silkspan covering is fully sealed.

So I simply took some Walmart Craft Paint (water based acrylic) in light Olive Drab, and added maybe 30% WBPA (Polycrylic) to it, and brushed on a light coat where the fuselage mounts. I discovered my previous Silkspan/glue coatings is not only sealed, but requires very little paint to get good coverage. So I think since Silkspan and Glue didn't add much weight, and paint takes very little to get coverage, the overall weight gain to spruce up the airframe should be promising!

Note the Servo install, using 1mm (.039") music wire, and bound together with heatshrink and CyA. Worked out well. I show how a piece of heavy duty foil helps keep the foam from melting when heating things like heat shrink and using a hot, hot flame.

Final a shot of installed flaps all the way up, and all the way down.

Fred

Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:24 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

Until I get some more build time, here is some photos of the flaps Up, half way down, and fully deployed. These are for the side view of course. I did put them on a knob so adjustments are fully variable. I hope later after testing that I can mix them to a 3 position switch, and mix elevator in also. We will see. They are very agressive, and possibly not really needed (Joe), LOL.

Fred

Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:54 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,760 Posts
That is really looking nice Fred! Hope its going in a show.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:06 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
That is really looking nice Fred! Hope its going in a show.

Ken
Thanks Ken,

LOL, I never enter my airplanes in a show! They are just for my enjoyment. Besides a Cartoon Fatty will be silly looking I'm sure and it will take a special person to appreciate it anyway. Got so many interruptions going on, but I never loose the passion to build something as my own form of theropy!

Can't wait to try my hand on a combat Jet, and hopefully I'll define the type I will tackle sooner than later!

Fred
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:29 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,760 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Ken,

LOL, I never enter my airplanes in a show! They are just for my enjoyment. Besides a Cartoon Fatty will be silly looking I'm sure and it will take a special person to appreciate it anyway. Got so many interruptions going on, but I never loose the passion to build something as my own form of theropy!

Can't wait to try my hand on a combat Jet, and hopefully I'll define the type I will tackle sooner than later!

Fred
Fred,
I am quite serious. Your class of foamie is superb, and I expect the tooned A-10 will be just so. I can tell from what you have done so far. I believe it would be a pleasant addition to the "serious stuff", especially with your workmanship.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:43 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Ken,

Fred
I think all of us who build tune planes are a little special but the ones who enlarge them,ha ha .lol joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:04 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Fred,
I am quite serious. Your class of foamie is superb, and I expect the tooned A-10 will be just so. I can tell from what you have done so far. I believe it would be a pleasant addition to the "serious stuff", especially with your workmanship.

Ken
Thanks again Ken, but you are a true artist also. I had to get a bit not so serious, and it has been fun. I actually have some other thoughts on some more Cartoon stuff. But for now I'm getting itchy to fire up these motors and hear them sing! Two motors at 30,000 RPM+ should make the airframe sing like a instrument! LOL.

Fred