HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:06 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
I use the out side of a plastic fountain pen so my screws for my wing are resessed in them ,this way my screw driver and screw is in the tub i cut down. I learned that from a gent here on rcg who built foam warbird kits but i cant remember where . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I use the out side of a plastic fountain pen so my screws for my wing are resessed in them ,this way my screw driver and screw is in the tub i cut down. I learned that from a gent here on rcg who built foam warbird kits but i cant remember where . joe
Thank you for another great tip Joe. It would also keep things recessed and out of the airflow. Good idea for sure. I'll keep this one like it is cause I'm cheap and dont have any spare pen barrels right now. So now I have to stockpile something else I guess.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Thank you for another great tip Joe. It would also keep things recessed and out of the airflow. Good idea for sure. I'll keep this one like it is cause I'm cheap and dont have any spare pen barrels right now. So now I have to stockpile something else I guess.

Fred
My boss wonders where all his dam pens go at our office along with printer ink , push pins , glue ,tape and anything else not nailed down. joe
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:55 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
My boss wonders where all his dam pens go at our office along with printer ink , push pins , glue ,tape and anything else not nailed down. joe
I had a lady worked for me that did the same stuff, but I knew who was doing it. She had a nice BTW. Sooooo what's up with you and your boss?
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Your mind always goes to the gutter Freddie. I do one thing that the rest of the collage grads we had working for my company did not do and that was get the job done. lol joe
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:34 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Your mind always goes to the gutter Freddie. I do one thing that the rest of the collage grads we had working for my company did not do and that was get the job done. lol joe
LOL I was pulling your chain. I know you would be the one that runs the show! Maybe we are related......
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:44 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Adding flaps.

So here I decided to add those flaps, inboard side of wing only, but they are quite big. I cut them out and do remember those gaps and pin hole locater positions from the wing build. After cutting I cleaned the mating edges and trimed a small sliver off the side for clearance.

Fred

Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:47 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

We have very small areas to fill with foam or filler on the trailing edges and flaps. I decided to stuff small slivers of foam triangles with a drop of glue and then smooth off with filler.

Fred

Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:59 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

So I decided again to control the flaps by single servo, and torque rods. It is not a matter of saving money for a second servo does not cost much, but more for weight savings. Torque rodds weigh less than servo, extension 'Y' harness, and related parts. Besides this will be neat and tidy up inside the fuselage with my removable wing.

K&S brass tubing and music wire used for this build. On smaller aircraft I often use plastic tubing (Q-Tip material or such). Make sure to add some Petroleum Jelly to the rod where it passes through the tubing so glue will not lock things up during install. My connecting horns on the torque rods are flattened tubing, and I soldered mine onto the rods. Epoxy or CyA would work too, but I am old school.

Definition: Old School. A term for old people to use that is a great excuse for doing things the way cave men and expired mechanics did before electric light bulbs and automobiles were invented. LOL.

Photos for you to look at!

Fred

Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:04 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

Once you glue the torque rods into the wing, using the flaps to align and set location, I filled in the cutout slots with foam and filler. Sanded everything flush, and this panel is ready to cover or paint, and assemble to the tip panels.

Fred

Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post

Once you glue the torque rods into the wing, using the flaps to align and set location, I filled in the cutout slots with foam and filler. Sanded everything flush, and this panel is ready to cover or paint, and assemble to the tip panels.

Fred

Those flaps will stop it in midair Freddie with not much airplane weight.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:21 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Those flaps will stop it in midair Freddie with not much airplane weight.
Well then we will do a parchute landing, LOL. Hehehehe...... Remember this is an enlarged version, and fff 5.5mm foam, built up wing, etc, etc. With 20+ amps, it will need a 2100mah battery too for decent flight times I'm thinking. I also don't know yet, but we are going to be over 20 ounces????????????

I won't start out with any fancy 8 channel receiver, but it would be cool to program crow into the wing as a landing function and have it land STOL like a full house glider does.......

But Joe, you are my most avid, insightful, supportive fan that also knows a lot about building fine aircraft. You are such a kind and gentle Biker Dude, and no one knows just how nice you are but I do. If you are right, I will declare failure, and send my A-10 Fatty to Chicago so some of the tougher crowd there can tweek it for action. And you thought I wasn't a nice guy, mind in the gutter, etc.... LOL...... See how nice I am, really!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:36 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

So I decided to make the ailerons actuate by torque rods also. There will be 2 servos, and the additional weight of torque rods, but for good reason. The ailerons will have completely enclosed control hardware, hidden in my wing pods. YES! Gotta do it.

Photos should explain the process with few words. Similar to my flap setup, but in the tip panels and such.

Fred

Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:41 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Grandpa......

Grandpa (or PaPa),

"I do so love airplanes, but your post is a bit boring......... But I sure do like the looks of that yummie soda sitting there." Coy smile directed my way.... " Why don't you slide that soda on over here when Mommy isn't looking, she won't yell at you this time, promise" As my heart strings are about as tight as a FF job wound for maximum motor run...........

Ahhhh having women in your life. It either shrtens it, or lengthens it, but either way, I wouldn''t trade it for anything.....

Off topic, off topic, call the topic police please.............

Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:13 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,324 Posts
soda for Breakfast ?
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor