HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
Freddie, starting to look great -- you really caught that slinky look of the cartoon versions, almost bent over the wing.
Vtdiy,

Thank you BUT...................... other than some minor changes as I mentioned along the way, the plan is enlarged from a Jergan Be design, which was inspired by Rusty Gunns design as detailed in post #1. Credit where credit is due. I however like my wing and enclosed prop changes most, along with the different wing pod shape.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:03 PM
near Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2008
337 Posts
Fred,

today I found your thread and subscribed
Great job, what you`ve done from the plans.
I`m pleased you like Rusty`s and my version of the Cartoon A10 and also the plans.
Looking forward to your next steps.........

Jürgen
Jürgen Be is online now Find More Posts by Jürgen Be
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:52 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Be View Post
Fred,

today I found your thread and subscribed
Great job, what you`ve done from the plans.
I`m pleased you like Rusty`s and my version of the Cartoon A10 and also the plans.
Looking forward to your next steps.........

Jürgen
Jürgen

First I want to thank you for the work you did on the plans and for the A-10 Baby you built. Much is inspired or take direct from those efforts. I am slightly distracted by installation of new carpet in my home, and painting approx 1550 sqft of wall space to keep the wifey happy! Thank you again kind Sir.

Fred
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:56 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Jürgen

First I want to thank you for the work you did on the plans and for the A-10 Baby you built. Much is inspired or take direct from those efforts. I am slightly distracted by installation of new carpet in my home, and painting approx 1550 sqft of wall space to keep the wifey happy! Thank you again kind Sir.

Fred
I told you wife to shoot for all new paint inside and out just to keep tou busy .lol I better keep my big mouth shut if my girlfriend finds out someone else is getting new paint she will have my fat ars up a ladder too. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Yes, finishing kitchen cabinetry and wiring, and and closing workshed in here, as well. Haven't built a plane in many months. But still enjoy reading about others progress.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:14 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I told you wife to shoot for all new paint inside and out just to keep tou busy .lol I better keep my big mouth shut if my girlfriend finds out someone else is getting new paint she will have my fat ars up a ladder too. joe
What was her name again? And, I seem to have mis-placed her cell phone number........ Errrrrr wanted to update her on a Pumpkin Cookie Receipe... honest!

Still painting in the house and such, but I did sneak a bit of building in here and there. Need to download some photos from the camera, but here is the wingtips I decided to make.

Got out my 1" thick pink foam and rough cut using a hot wire thing, and sanded the rest to shape. I did decide to put a 1/32" balsa inside edge where my ailerons will end, and will put 1 1/5 ounce fibeglass on them incase they ever want to scrape the asphalt out front!

Fred

Last edited by Freddie B; Sep 29, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:19 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

Here is a quick mock-up photo of one side of the wing with tip included. Fairly big wing. Short coupled aircraft anyone? Should end up a bit twitchy I'll bet!

Fred

Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:25 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Nothing too exciting, but while the wire cutter is out, I rough cut and shaped a tail and nose plug out of pink foam. I roughed them pretty close to final size, but will finish that near time to final install the pieces on my airframe.

Fred

Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:19 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Thought I would show a photo of the glas going on the wingtips, and one of the balsa sheet stiffener with glass as discussed above. I am using epoxy resin on this part for the added strength and stiffness, plus it has superior abrasion resistance.

Fred

Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:23 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
I decided to make a removable wing for several reasons. One is I wanted to try adding flaps, and use a single servo for that with torque rods. This would allow the servo to be hidden, yet still able to service everything. So some Balse (Cough, cough) added to the build, yet a nice thick mbase for my wing bolt nous needed so I made it a trditional composit sturcture.....foam and wood.

Photos best, I hate typing BION.

Fred

Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,359 Posts
Ha Ha even jurgen uses ply at the end points of his carbon fiber landing gear for strength.Got to do what you got to do to keep the wing on Freddie.Even tho i hot glue my servos in i still epoxy a thin ply plate for a couple screw;s on my servos on my foam planes just out of habbit i guess. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:31 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Ha Ha even jurgen uses ply at the end points of his carbon fiber landing gear for strength.Got to do what you got to do to keep the wing on Freddie.Even tho i hot glue my servos in i still epoxy a thin ply plate for a couple screw;s on my servos on my foam planes just out of habbit i guess. joe
I use the ply plate, screw trick for my servos on foam aircraft, often also. Everything is servicable. Guess it's from the mechanic and aerospace background. My mini-aerospace fleet, LOL.

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Sep 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:37 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
So I started to mark the wing for centerline, and where it will clear the fuselage sides. I then added a bit of balsa plates to the front of wing saddle to add some strength and wear resistance for some wing dowels. I simply used a skewer as my drill to plunge some nice holes through the bulkheads and wing.

I did opt for dowels made from some 3/16" carbon tubing I had laying around. Strong but light. High tech, LOL.....hahahahahha.

Fred

Last edited by Freddie B; Sep 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:45 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
After alignment and careful double checking marks and measurements, it is time to sink some holes for my wing screws. I use oversized holes, inserting wooden dowel pieces in their position. Then the bolt hole size is drilled through the dowel. This way I get no wing squish, do not need plywood plates to protect the foam, etc, etc. In practice this is a very strong, light weight, and simple solution. I am using 10-32" screws made of nylon.

Fred

Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:58 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
A cool tool everyone should own.

If you use screws on foamies to mount things, we all know all too well what happens when a screw driver slips. So I make a quick screw driver just for nylon screws, and it is made from wooden dowel for the handle, thin plywood for the screw driver blade, and a piece of plastic straw for a barrel to keep the driver centered over the screw.

Follow the photos, just saw a slot in the dowel, glue in the blade, sand everthing flush and to length. Glue a piece of soda straw (tubing) to the dowel, using your screw head for a measuing device. Aim for the barrel to extend past the dowel end, over the screw head, but just shy of going all the way to the base of the screw head where it butts up to it's mounting surface.

I make one for each size of screw I may use, and often for each aircraft as part of it's service kit. I add some loud paint so if mis-placed or droped in the field I can find it easy, even in grass. Enjoy!

Fred