HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:59 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

So here I present my Pilot, ........... Smoken' JOE!

He needs a torso possibly, but I won't know until the cockpit is ready for mounting him. I added the goggles I cut from the ball package, and tinted the inside with Sharpie Marker. A couple cut off sewing pin hinges, and we are done! From original head of 5.7g, to final pilot we only added 0.7g because of all the plastic I drilled away!

Fred

Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
And where did you find JOE at Freddie ? He would look good in a couple of my birds. I have slowed my airplane building to do some work on my airplane hauler its a 2005 chevy 2500 express van that was my company work van till the company handed me over the title a week ago. They bought it new for me in 2005 and i have put alot of miles on it but they were highway miles and it still runs great .My master plan is to get it looking good and trade it for a smaller truck so it will use less gas and i can still haul my planes with it. Freddie this is the fourth plane with a joe pilot but all the ones that flew did it very well. HA ! joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:44 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
And where did you find JOE at Freddie ? He would look good in a couple of my birds. I have slowed my airplane building to do some work on my airplane hauler its a 2005 chevy 2500 express van that was my company work van till the company handed me over the title a week ago. They bought it new for me in 2005 and i have put alot of miles on it but they were highway miles and it still runs great .My master plan is to get it looking good and trade it for a smaller truck so it will use less gas and i can still haul my planes with it. Freddie this is the fourth plane with a joe pilot but all the ones that flew did it very well. HA ! joe
I bet all those airplanes flew good with Joe at the controls!

Score on the van. I would just pay for the gas. I got a Chevy Silverado a few months back. 5.3L V-8, 120K miles, doesn't eat or drip a drop of oil. It's a 2002, but I love it. Gas is gas, so be it. Love the size and power! As long as you intend to trade for somthing to haul airplanes then we know you are healty of mind ans spirt!

F
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:37 AM
MD
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
lighting

I hope someone can answer this with fair amount of accuracy. On the A-10, where are all the navigation and landing lights, colors, and sequencing. Not looking for perfection, but a general description on spotting them all on like a 3 view (beginning of thread or such) and flashing, strobe, beacon, landing, etc. Might just do some lights so we can fly this at dusk and night time!

I haven't worked the hog since 98, but I do have some pictures and a book to reference. The landing and taxi light are on the nose wheel. There are nav and strobe lights on both wing tips. The very rear of the fuselage has a white nav light. The upper and lower fuselage anti-collision lights (red) are aprox midway on the fuselage on the top and bottom. There were also some formation lights which were blue on the side of the vertical stabs. We also had these luminous strips on the side of the fuse, wing tips, and vert stab. I believe they were for formation flight also. I'll try and post some pics if I find some that are relevant.
Asymair95 is offline Find More Posts by Asymair95
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:23 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymair95 View Post

I haven't worked the hog since 98, but I do have some pictures and a book to reference. The landing and taxi light are on the nose wheel. There are nav and strobe lights on both wing tips. The very rear of the fuselage has a white nav light. The upper and lower fuselage anti-collision lights (red) are aprox midway on the fuselage on the top and bottom. There were also some formation lights which were blue on the side of the vertical stabs. We also had these luminous strips on the side of the fuse, wing tips, and vert stab. I believe they were for formation flight also. I'll try and post some pics if I find some that are relevant.
WOW! Thank you, thank you. That is exactly what I wanted a great explination. Photos would be great but a web search shows few night shots of A-10s. The T-38 and such had the strob and nav light out on the wing tips, mounted flat on the bottom surface of the wing skin, right near the tip. These were flush mounted for drag concerns, Since I see no bubbles about, wondering if this is the same with the A-10. I was around a lot of Lockheed aircraft when I worked there even longer ago, but nav lights were not something I paid attention too back then (sadly). Wish our museum had an A-10, but that's not going to happen. Last air show the A-10's were behing the barrier fencing.

Thanks again.

Fred
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:54 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,807 Posts
Cartoon A-10 Build and ...

Thanks for the mention of the cold roll method for foam. I find it a very useful method for shaping thin foam for tubes, fuselages, wings, and any other part that needs to be curved, or shaped. It makes it easy to copy all sorts of panels for RC foam airplanes, some are very curved, but only in the middle, and some have the curve at the edge. The baking of formed parts is a great way to "relax" and harden the foam (to a degree), but you do need to be careful, or the part might shrink and warp a bit, especially around the edges.

I was looking at images using Google and found a lot of pictures for the A-10 Warthog, some of which are caricatures. Seems to be a popular aircraft for cartooning, and the old shark mouth is getting a number of changes. Most are basically adding tusks to imply more of a wart hog look. Interesting options. Let me see if any of these cartoon drawings will post.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:19 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
Most are basically adding tusks to imply more of a wart hog look.
The Hogs with tusks are unique to Louisiana, specifically, the 917th at Barksdale AFB http://warthognews.blogspot.com/sear...ighter%20Group. The original Sharkmouth was on 23TFW Hogs at England AFB, LA, reflecting the wing's Flying Tiger heritage. That wing is now at at Moody Air Force Base, Ga http://warthognews.blogspot.com/sear...el/23rd%20Wing

Here's another unique "variation":
http://warthognews.blogspot.com/2011...nakes-10c.html.

Fred, the gray schemes are pretty boring, in my opinion. The Hog should be green and brown from routing in the dirt. PM me if you have any questions - I have a pretty complete A-10 library.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
The Hogs with tusks are unique to Louisiana, specifically, the 917th at Barksdale AFB http://warthognews.blogspot.com/sear...ighter%20Group. The original Sharkmouth was on 23TFW Hogs at England AFB, LA, reflecting the wing's Flying Tiger heritage. That wing is now at at Moody Air Force Base, Ga http://warthognews.blogspot.com/sear...el/23rd%20Wing

Here's another unique "variation":
http://warthognews.blogspot.com/2011...nakes-10c.html.

Fred, the gray schemes are pretty boring, in my opinion. The Hog should be green and brown from routing in the dirt. PM me if you have any questions - I have a pretty complete A-10 library.

Gene K
Thanks Gene,

Did someone say Gray is boring? LOL all you see around here is gray, gray, and more gray. I once liked the Desert scheme, but I really like the older European green camo with some black. This is a Cartoon Fatty so it can be pretty much anything (except pink ) and I am not shooting for scale, because nothing on it is scale. LOL. I do know it will have green and shark mouth, eyes, and Joe as the pilot.

PM sent! Thanks.

Fred
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:44 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Ahead on the build...

As can happen I am much further on the build than I have posted photos so far. I am supposed to be working today (and I will ) so good thing I am self employeed, right. But I will take some breaks (everyone gets breaks) and try to get some catchup time here.

Started the fuselage. I pretty much hand drew a "close" proximity of the plans fuselage size and shape, but needed to alter some of it for the tail and my full airfoil wing. This includes setting some incidence between the wing and tail. I was hoping for roughly 2 1/2 drerees since it is a Clark 'Y' airfoil. You can see my many lines as I altered some transitions.

I also place the airfoil template to the side of the fuselage drawing, set incidence based upon the horizontal tail, and then used sewing pins to make indexing holes. Plan is after shaping and assembly of the fuselage, THEN I will cut out the wing opening and tail openings. Forming and gluing everything with those cut ou first would make things tough to keep the shape. So you will see pins and or tiny holes, and we will see more on this later. This did work out as planned and I am happy with the decision to wait on the cutouts until later.

I rolled the curve into the fuselage sides like I did on the wings and other parts, worked really well. I am still so happy that Tsavah had directed me to his Blog and passed on this one type of forming method.

So all marked up, cut out, and formed, the fuselage sides are ready to start assembly.

Fred
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:22 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

Next starting with the very front bulkhead, I glued it to one fuselage side, followed by the front crutch that fits midway from top to bottom. The nose has a tapered angle to it, so the cruth to bulkhead joint established this best. Just use a good, faily fast cure glue to get these alighned and firtted tight and proper. The rest depends on a good fit with these parts to begin with.

Fred

Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:56 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

So now it is a basic add former/bulkhead, add crutch (mid fuse floor), add Former, etc, etc. I devieated here too and added an additional bulkhead. There was some issues with where bulkheads are drawn, cockpit and wing start/end points, and we are a bit oversized now so it all makes sense. I just TLAR extended the side curves and trimmed the new bulkheads a bit taller. All my bulkheads will get sanded/trimed to the fuselage sides anyway because of the angled edges that occur with forming the sides to a rounded shape.

I also added a strip of foam to the rear bulkhead at the TE of the wing. This is an area of high stress and often a foam fuselage would tear in this area. Photo shows this extra piece. I also (not shown here) added a half bulkhead, bottom side, right where the LE of the wing will sit. None shown on the plan, but I like to have bulkheads at both LE and TE of the wing.

Fred

Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Good to see it taking shape!
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:58 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

I added the most rear floor/crutch, and it was set to also lay against the bottom horiontal stab and it's slot. So after adding some lighteneing hols, the part is fairly long and floppy or say 'bendy'. So a couple clamps (with foam scrap to protect from squishing), a paint stirring stick, all to keep it ridged while gluing did the trick. I just aligned it to my center lines on the bulkhead, and with those sewing pin holes we discussed during drawing of the fuselage sides skins.

Fred

Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:03 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
Good to see it taking shape!
Thank you vtdiy. It went rather well and I will use the pre-forming with pipe method often after this. I usually do not build many things without more attention to using building boards, a set plan, or pinning it down, but this freehand assembly did work out well. It is good to get your bulkheads and cruthch pieces cut very square and accurate since these dictate the final exo-skelleton. (sounds good anyway)

Fred
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:14 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

Now it is easier to just do this than to probably explain it. I started at the front again, with the second skin. Glued the skin to the front former, holdng it tight to the curve while the glue cured. all I did was align the aft skin fairly close to match the other side (looking at bulkheads) and used some pins to keep it there until I moved on.

If you look at the side already glued, and 'match' this second side (up/down) so they look the same while your glue cures, it came out well. Spot check often by setting the edges to your workbench, and don't be afraid to make some measurements and Sharpie marks where needed, most of the time on the inside where we glue.

So add glue to a section of crutch, the next bulkhead, hold, cure, repeat. Soon the whole thing is looking good! Upon further checking, cuts, and work, mine aligned almost perfect doing it this way.

Fred