HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:28 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts

I laid out the wing panels to see what they are looking like without wingtips and took a photo to share.

I needed to make the wing pods that the landing gear tuck into. I did not like the ones I have seen on the plans or elsewhere, so in looking at a 3 view, and thinking cartoon style, I hand drew up something I was happier with. Shown is the TLAR method used, then I took this and made a template.

Fred

Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:35 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts

So time to assemble the pods. Again I marked measurements on the foam so I could speed up my archive of the dimensons used. Feel free to copy this if you build one too. I show the order I assembled things in. Glue was fast setting 90 second epoxy and/or foam safe CyA. Keep things square and the pods will come out nice and true.

Fred

Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:42 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts

Now instead of a simple boxy look, I wanted mine to have a bit of taper more to my liking. so photos show more bulkheads and spacers, pulling the front and rear ends together. Then I pre-formed some skins that go around the front curve.

Fred

Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:45 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts

Finally I took and added some caps on top, and rounded everything until it looked the part without too mush fuss or time involved. I will finish capping the open area and such upon final assembly and when I figure out what kind of gear or servos may be hidden inside.

Fred

Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post

Finally I took and added some caps on top, and rounded everything until it looked the part without too mush fuss or time involved. I will finish capping the open area and such upon final assembly and when I figure out what kind of gear or servos may be hidden inside.

Fred

Looks like plenty of room for just about anything Freddie. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:39 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Looks like plenty of room for just about anything Freddie. joe
Yeah, fatty's hold lots of air inside, just waiting to be fill with goodies! Get you votes in quick, pilot is about to be unveiled...... he will have a name by then!

Fred
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:19 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Costco makes me think of Roscoe. Give him a fast plane and he's a real turner.....
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Last edited by vtdiy; Sep 07, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:52 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
Costco makes me think of Roscoe. Give him a fast plane and he's a real turner.....
Boy those were the days. Real guts and true earned glory for sticking your neck out. Things were not as reliable as they are today.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:06 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Fancy wheelpant on that Lockheed, isn't it!
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:11 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
Fancy wheelpant on that Lockheed, isn't it!
Yes indeed. I worked at Lockheed 1979-1991. Even though times had changed, plenty of archival stuff was about on how they used to craft the old works of art. The masters at crafts that we could only hope to be half that talanted. I have an old Connie (Constillation) Wind Tunnel Test model from Lockheed. It is thin aluminum sheet, fully formed into a complete airframe and you can't even detect welds or such. I still can't imagine how they did that, and it was accurate enough to test a major manufacturing program. Kelly Johnson gave it to my Dad back in the 1950's or early 60's. Probably will be sending it to a museum one day if I find one that would actually appreciate it and display it.

F
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:14 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Flame welded, probably, too.

Those oxygen bottles were for the Air Express's open cockpit. Probably a little chilly up there.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:13 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Never was much into pilots for my airplanes.......

But then one day I decided that my airplanes needed to have pilots. So it has been fun to come up with someone to fly each creation. Most of them fit a theme I like, but each one is an individual. So I had this "name that pilot" contest, and the votes are in, if you couldn't have guessed, it was a landslide and choice A. "Joe", won with 102,695 votes. And just so you know, I do not live in Florida, nor would I ever stuff a Ballot Box.

This quote from my very first post in the thread has absolutely nothing to do with the outcome.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
.................................................. ....... Joe I'm coming for you soon, it's just that I am too buzy building airplanes to do anything about it! It is all your fault. I promise when the time comes, my pilot will be named Joe.

Fred
I can say that with Halloween coming up you all need to get out to the Dollar Stores, and Costume shops and look for a supply of cheap pilots to work with this coming year!

So here is what I started with. A sack of plastic pilot heads from the Dollar Tree Store, 2011. I weighed a head and it was 5.7 g, then I drilled a bunch of holes and got it down to 3.4g. Found some plastic balls the size of Ping-Pong balls at Walmart, $1.00 for 6.

Let's get to work.

Fred

Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:20 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts

If you note the packaging on the balls, and at the tip of the dowel, I was able to cut some clear plastic and this will end up yeilding a set of goggles.

Then I cut out a opening to make a ball look like a helmet, and sanded it so paint will adhere better. Off to the paint booth! I started with a white undercoat, which will also be the helmet color,

Fred

Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:35 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Next I found a wooden dowel as a spinal cord, and altered one of those bendy straws so it mimics "them neck bones". Then I started to detail sing simple craft paints and a brush. Any resemblance to one of my Ex's when she put her hair up after a bath is purely coincidence. The tan is convincing though, let me tell you, pretty scary!

Fred
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:52 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts

Once I was happy with the paint, I de-masked by removing the tape, and added a tiny tissue decal on the Helmet that looks like "The Blackshirts" logo.

A few dabs of White GG holds the helmet to the pilots head.

Fred