HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:50 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Build Log
A-10 Warthog, my first Cartoon Fatty.

Ok probably like most of us, I have pondered building a Cartoon Fatty but never have done so before. They look sort of cool lumbering around in slow flight, yet that goofy caroon look sort of gets under you skin. I do also so love twin engined aircraft, but usually I relate that to propeller driven subjects. But who doesn't love an A-10 Thunderbolt II "Warthog" on top of it. I also tend to gravitate to the EDF side often, but Fatty's are prop jobs, or so it seems on the ones I have seen.

So wow, where will I go from here. I must pass some blame here, as Joe, RCG name of cracksmeup, sent me a link to Jurgen Be's builds (in Germany), and after seeing a video of his A-10 Baby, I was hooked. This also lead me to Rusty-Gunn (s) Thread of a version of a A-10 . There I found some plans that at least get us going with some kind of assurance that we can end up with a good flyer and not re-invent the wheel, entirely anyway.

Joe I'm coming for you soon, it's just that I am too buzy building airplanes to do anything about it! It is all your fault. I promise when the time comes, my pilot will be named Joe.

I have seen Sparks Cartoon builds, and another thread or two on Cartoon Fatty's, and hopefully enough of you have too. I must give thanks to all of you that have been so helpful in your posts, photos, ideas, success and failures, and things that came before so I hopefully will end up with sucess on my first venture into Cartoon Fatty's.

So for a bit of motivation and referance material, I am posting some art work and drawings from the web, depicting the A-10 Warthog in a cartoon style setting to refer to as I go along. Hope some of you will sub up, follow along, and build yourself a Cartoon Warthog too.

Fred

Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:59 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Reserved for final photos and video.

Gotta have a place for that!

Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:16 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Plans and planes, not my own.....

Credit is due here for sure. I am attaching plans that Jurgen Be so kindly posted in the Rusty-Gunn thread. I am going to enlarge these planes, and work loosely around them because like most of you, I always have to change stuff to suit my own ideas.

While I am at it I am attaching two photos here. First photo is of Rusty-Gunn and his original A-10 Hawg Fattie, and more details, photos, and information can be found in that thread. The second is of Jurgen Be's A-10 Baby, and it is a cutie for sure. It is a small and lightweight model, and I am going to enlarge mine to suit my gear and taste. Last is the Jurgen Bee Plans for the A-10 Baby, and please all credit goes to Jurgen Be for these plans, and they are for personal use only.

I will start to detail my thoughts and alterations in the following posts to this thread. Thanks again go out to Rusty-Gunn, Jurgen Be, Joe, and all the rest of you great builders not mentioned, and everyone else that contributes to RCG. Never under estimate the value of even the simplest post. Sometimes just another fresh look at a situation, a question, or comment, can move mountains when it come to creating our art of scratch built model airplanes!

Fred

Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:35 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
My first ideas will determine my path.....

I pondered the thought of using true EDF power to motivate the build, but that is overkill, expensive, heavy, and complicated. So my first decision was to use propeller motivation. Twin motors. And like Sparks did on his Mig-15 and Sabre, they will run inside the ducts formed by my nacelles. OK don't panic that the motors and props inside the nacelles will fail to provide enough power to fly this thing. I'm not worried a bit! (well..... maybe...... but not!).

I will trust my instinct on this. I will be using some high kv motors, and the nacelles are very short in comparison to the intended diameter of the ducting. So this will be my attempted power arrangement.

The motors of choice are tested to run a 4" diameter propeller, so the first alteration was to decide on a size to build my A-10 at. In reviewing Jurgen Be's A-10 Baby plans, I needed to increase the size to 143%. So I started by printing off the page with the nacelles shown on the plan at 143% to check the outcome and I got a 4" inside diameter to printout.... Perfect.

I am going to use Blue fff for this build. It is cheap and ready available. I can afford to make many mistakes and such without loosing any sleep over the cost of foam. If the prototype works out, Model Plane Foam (MPF) would be a perfect choice, but I do not see why not a guy could use $Tree foam, or Depron to build this bird. I would think if $Tree foam is used, doubling up foam in areas like the tail and nacelles would be a good idea, and Depron can be had in different sizes to suit which part one is working on at the time.

Enough Blah, blah, blah, but it is late, so tomorrow I will start post photos of my build and progress reports. The rest will fall into place as it comes.

Thank you all

Fred

Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:10 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,454 Posts
LOL Freddie you can blame alot things on me but building this great little toon plane is not one of them . I was hooked just like you were when i seen Jurgens version of guns A-10 . Iam sighned up. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:26 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Ha! Found you at it again,,, will be watching of course, I'm sure you'll have a good thread here.. W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:59 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
LOL Freddie you can blame alot things on me but building this great little toon plane is not one of them . I was hooked just like you were when i seen Jurgens version of guns A-10 . Iam sighned up. joe
Thanks Joe, and I hope you decide to start yours too! I know you have some in the pipe, but why would you want me to be the first and only........

Fred
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:02 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
Ha! Found you at it again,,, will be watching of course, I'm sure you'll have a good thread here.. W
Hahaha....found me, and I bet that was hard! But I am going to make this thread a bit more simple this time and hopefully I will get lots of feedback and some others to build along. Guessing there are many ways to go for the final product here, and it would be just as simple for some to build it to scale, and maybe someone will even go smaller, or larger!

I am thinking this whole time that I am so thankful to so many that have inspired me, taught me tricks, and planted seeds. You all know who you are. Yes if you have read this post down to this line, it's you! So here we go!

Fred
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,454 Posts
Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black here freddie ,you were the one that got me started in this foam building fest and now i have 6 or 7 foamys and 30 or 40 builds i have plans for. I keep telling myself i need to get back to my beloved balsa builds but then i find another foam plan cant stop myself.: All your fault Freddie and i will get even soon.lmao joe
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
For the first step, I decided to try and make my nacelles. I want to thank Tsavah because in all his posts I came upon several including some of his blog, explaining rolling foam sheet to make round objects. Yes I have done foam forming, but so much of what Tsavah posted lit the light bulb for me. Using a round pipe, much smaller than my final diameter I want to make, pressing against padded carpet, a couch, blanket, towel, or even one's tummie (Walt). worked so well I wondered why I struggled so long.

So you see a Photo of me rolling my duct foam with a white piece of PVC plumbing pipe, pressing onto padded carpet. At a 4" diameter, the padded carpet was plenty. I also went to the Home Improvement store, and scoped out the 4" drain pipe, also in PVC. It appeared to measure 4 3/16-4 1/4", so I thought I would pick up piece ($7.00 USD) to use as a mandrel for gluing and shaping.

The 4" pipe worked well, but I could have simply used a couple circles cut from cardboard, seperated with a toilet roll tube or dowel, and even maybe a foam plug cut from a block of scrap foam. So there are at least three ways to form a pretty round 4" (+/- )Nacelle.

Fred

Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:16 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Hehehehe..... I started goofing around with foam sheet in 2002. I have built over a hundred airplanes, maybe two. I have maybe 5-6 out of balsa in those 10 yeras! LMAO. So now it's your turn! Once you fall into the deep hole of scratch built foamies, there is no return.......... And BTW, you better watch your back buddy, cause I'm coming for you too! LOL

Fred
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Hehehehe..... I started goofing around with foam sheet in 2002. I have built over a hundred airplanes, maybe two. I have maybe 5-6 out of balsa in those 10 yeras! LMAO. So now it's your turn! Once you fall into the deep hole of scratch built foamies, there is no return.......... And BTW, you better watch your back buddy, cause I'm coming for you too! LOL

Fred
BRING IT ON foam jet boy.lol
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:30 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,469 Posts
Ah man Freddie's got me hooked again!
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:23 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Ah man Freddie's got me hooked again!
Hehehehe...Seems it is going around. Right Joe? Gotta do it, come on, lets build one together!

Fred
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:36 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
OK, so I got a bit swayed today and took over Bqabysitting for the last 6 hours. Her mama is home now. We made Oatmeal cookies, and I have hot wings in the oven so we are good to go for a few updates.

So next I took some clear tape, sticky side out, and put this on my large pipe, held in place with the blue tape shown. This allows me to glue the ends of my foam tube together without it sticking to the pipe. Wax paper would work too, but I find CyA can stick to the wax paper real bad sometimes. When we are done, the tape simply needs a bit of Ispropyl Alcohol dripped on it and it will peel away with no foam removal.

Important note. Even with plan enlargement, the nacelles I am making needed to fit around a 4 1/4" pipe. So the ducting flat pattern shown on the plans is way too short. Adding the extra diameter and the thickness of my blue fff foam, I had to cut the blanks before rolling at 14 1/4" long. Sanding to trim the ends so they align for glueing (on the radius of the tube), they are close to final length of 14 1/8" long. Just be aware not to cut your parts too short (don't ask), as mine needed a couple inches more than anticipated.

Fred