HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Feb 2008
63 Posts
Discussion
Thinking about building my first kit

Hey guys. I'm looking at possibly building my first plane from a kit. The kits I've seen have been crazy expensive though. Is it even worth attempting to build one or am I better off just sticking with ARFs? I'd like to get some kind of warbird or scale military plane next. I don't have a very in-depth knowledge of putting planes together, but I was hoping it could help me learn. I'd hate to buy one and not be able to finish though. Thanks!
Airforce430 is offline Find More Posts by Airforce430
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:36 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Building from a kit is indeed entertaining, if you like this type of thing. I enjoy building from scratch a lot more even.
If you feel you must have a deadline to complete the kit then I'd suggest an ARF. When I decide to build something I have no deadline. It will get done when it gets done.
If you feel you have some skills and a bit of confidence then I'd suggest a kit. Otherwise, nothing wrong with an ARF.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:32 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
It appears that an ARF is a lot cheaper in the long run than building a kit, BUT there is a certain value in actually building something.

Not everyone enjoys building. I think it is at least half the enjoyment of the hobby for me.

I'm currently finishing my first complete scratch build. It has been a lot of fun mixed with some frustration.

If you are thinking of building a kit though, better get one soon. There are fewer and fewer available every day.

I certainly wish I could find a few smaller glow kits somewhere.

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:59 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
If you build it then you'll be able to repair it if you crash it.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Smaller glow kits are all over.. sig, tower, busa to name a few have smaller kitsand many cottage suppliers offer short kits as well as full kits. If your electric only pat trittle models has avery nice selection.. for usually 100 or cheaper.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Feb 2008
63 Posts
I'll have to look into those small glow kits. A smaller one sounds fun.
Airforce430 is offline Find More Posts by Airforce430
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:08 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,709 Posts
www.sigmfg.com

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...1Manu_02SIG_01
IWC is online now Find More Posts by IWC
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:32 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
here you go
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXM398
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:41 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,237 Posts
you didn't mention what type of kit you where looking for! I.E. scale, warbird, trainer!

as a first time kit builder, I would stay away from most larger warbirds! a 40 size kit would be a good place ta start, someting like a cub, or cherokee, cesna!

good luck and let us know what ya choose!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:50 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Sig Four Star 60. So easy and fun. Nice flying plane too.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,055 Posts
Four Stars are super easy to build and alot of fun to fly. That would be a great first kit.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:54 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
All but one of my planes have been ARFs the one kit I have built is my favorite plane to fly. It is a great planes patriot. It was a fun build and I was able to build the plane stronger than any of the ARFs I have had. Once it was complete it was nice to see something that I had built flying thru the air. Eventually I want to build another kit, just need to find the time.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Oct 2009
3 Posts
Building first kit

If you buy an ARF and crash it you have no plans to help you rebuild it. Some like to build some don't. No matter which way you go, those who build from a kit are held to a little higher esteem by all and those who build from scratch are held up to a higher level. The mags are full of stories that reflect this. The disadvantage to building is that it will be a while before you are up and flying and if you crash it, there is a personal part of you that gets wounded followed by the confidence that you can repair it or build another one.
Bashfulbob is offline Find More Posts by Bashfulbob
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:59 PM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
200 Posts
If you build it, it will last longer. A 4* from a kit is a lot stronger than a 4* ARF. I great beginner kit is a SIG Kadet LT40. And if you are a decent flyer with a trainer, you can modify this one when you build it for more performance. Mine has only 1" dihedral and a bolt on wing. I also converted it to a tail dragger, and it is a blast to fly. It still maintains some trainer abilities such as righting itself, but very very slowly, and can slow down for soft landings, but can be flown inverted, and if I put more prop on it, can probably knife edge it.
acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:03 AM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
When people say find the time... it's all relative.. I have built kits over two years.. and built kits in one month... as long as I have other things to fly.. what's the rush. Kit building is akin to the being on a journey...it's not the destination.... but indeed I do find most enjoy flying more what they built or "kitbashed" than what one assembles in 3 hours after opening a box. Like those that restore or cars... you go out when you have the time and work on it. I find I'm vulnerable to burnout if I'm out there every night for 2 or 3 hours. Start a kit and you'll always have something to do when you have the time and the end result is truly rewarding.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin