HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Help!
Major problems with HK KK Board V2.1.

Some time ago i descided to start building a quadcopter after i saw some videos of them on youtube. The building of the thing went perfectly fine, but i am having some trouble with the hobbyking control board (v2.1). I have set the throttle range of all the esc's with the trim almost to the lowest, but when i power up the system the red led on the board flashes once but when i put the stick in the bottom right corner nothing happens. I have also did other combos of stick position but nothing helped.

I have try'd to flash the firmware to 4.7 firmware in + configuration but that did not help.

I think i dont have any channels reversed of something because when i put a motor+esc directly to the reciver that worked as it should be.

Some specs of my setup:

transmitter/reciver: Verry basic 40MHz 4 channel (link to immage here)
motors: Keda 20-20L 19A 1053Kv Hacker Style Brushless Outrunner Motor(link)
ESC: Hobbywing Pentium 18amp Brushless Motor esc speed controller (link)
prop's: 10x4.5 2xCW 2xCCW
Control board: HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1 (Atmega168PA) (link)
battery: Li-Po 3300mAh 25C 11.1V-3S1P Gens ACE

I have some suspecion that the problem is caused by the Transmitter/Reciver, but i hope you can help me out, because i am playing arround for 4 days now and it drives me crazy that i cant get it to work...

(Sorry for my bad english, im dutch )

Some immages from before the kk board arived.

Thomasvijf is offline Find More Posts by Thomasvijf
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:02 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasvijf View Post
Some time ago i descided to start building a quadcopter after i saw some videos of them on youtube. The building of the thing went perfectly fine, but i am having some trouble with the hobbyking control board (v2.1). I have set the throttle range of all the esc's with the trim almost to the lowest, I do not see the need for lowering trim when calibrating the esc's, I always leave the trim neutral.

I think i dont have any channels reversed of something because when i put a motor+esc directly to the reciver that worked as it should be.
Just because the throttle channel is not reversed, does not mean the rudder channel is not.

I have some suspecion that the problem is caused by the Transmitter/Reciver, but i hope you can help me out, because i am playing arround for 4 days now and it drives me crazy that i cant get it to work...
Me too.

(Sorry for my bad english, im dutch )
Nonsense, your English is great.
Now on to the problem, sounds to me like possible reversed rudder channel, or your rudder channel needs to be trimmed full right to activate the kk board. Also try moving the throttle down + rudder left + full trim left to see if rudder channel is reversed.
TheKnightFerrin is online now Find More Posts by TheKnightFerrin
Last edited by TheKnightFerrin; Aug 27, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightFerrin View Post
Now on to the problem, sounds to me like possible reversed rudder channel, or your rudder channel needs to be trimmed full right to activate the kk board. Also try moving the throttle down + rudder left + full trim left to see if rudder channel is reversed.
Thanks for your quick reply. I have try'd all the things you suggested but none of them worked...
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:20 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2011
114 Posts
If you calibrated the esc's with the trim lowered and then raised the trim, it may be messing things up.
Try calibrating the esc's with the throttle trim neutral/centered, then once calibrated try to arm the board with my above mentioned instructions, if that does not work try adding in full down throttle trim as well (Only after you have calibrated esc's with the throttle trim neutral/centered.)
TheKnightFerrin is online now Find More Posts by TheKnightFerrin
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Ok i just calibrated the esc's with tim in the centered position and did what you sayd, but stil no luck.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
Can you show your Rx to KK board connections? Might have something swapped around there.
bladeaudio is offline Find More Posts by bladeaudio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Here are some pic's of the connection.
Side question, what stick controls the elevation and the aireron?

Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
I think you have 3 & 4 switched around. It's usually aileron, elevator, throttle, rudder in that order, but you have them switched 3 to 4 on the KK board.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:17 AM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
When i put a servo in to channel 4 and i move my left stick on my tx up and down that servo moves. And if i move the left stick left and right channel 3 is controled.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
I also should have noticed that after i cabibrate throttle range i can control all 4 motors, but i assume the gyro's are disabled then.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
You've held the throttle stick down and to the right, or down and to the left and held it there for a good full 5 count?

If your throttle channel is reversed, try (with your props OFF) putting the throttle channel all the way to full, then hold left or right for 5 seconds. If the light comes on, turn off the copter and reverse your throttle channel on your transmitter. (This is slightly dangerous because its easy to get confused and bring the throttle down to turn it off, but if your throttle is reversed this will make it go to full throttle.)
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeaudio View Post
You've held the throttle stick down and to the right, or down and to the left and held it there for a good full 5 count?

If your throttle channel is reversed, try (with your props OFF) putting the throttle channel all the way to full, then hold left or right for 5 seconds. If the light comes on, turn off the copter and reverse your throttle channel on your transmitter. (This is slightly dangerous because its easy to get confused and bring the throttle down to turn it off, but if your throttle is reversed this will make it go to full throttle.)
Still no luck trying this.

Would it be easy for you guys if i make a quick video of me trying all these things?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
I found a guy telling this on hk website that describes the same problem that i am having. But what does he mean by "endpoint in software".

Post1:
Hi everyone, i have this board mounted and followed manual (to what is possible) but my motors wont turn on..... did the yaw rate stuff to zero and the motors work that way, but when i restore yaw nothing happens...ESC's beep , everything goes silent and nothing happens... help here?

tries to arm it by turning rudder to right/left, no led lights up....anyone knows whats happening?

Post2:
hmmm managed to make it...add to make the endpoint in software 120% to work...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Here is a video that shows what the deal is. I hope someone can give me some advise what to do.

http://youtu.be/PplP5vfamSk?t=3s
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:37 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Edit: sorry i see someone else has suggested this and it didnt work when you tried it.

You did everything right in your video. Try this, simply lower your throttle trim a couple of clicks and then try to arm the board. if no luck lower the throttle trim a few more clicks.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Last edited by Stacky; Aug 28, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Closed Thread