SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:13 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Discussion
Did my first QUAD long range FPV flight and it was awesome. Using 500mw 900Mhz

Well for me this was long range. I have a DJI F450 and with the inverted Vee I could go about 1,500ft so I put the cheap stock whip antenna back on and this time I got 2,600ft until there was some interference. My DX8 showed I had full signal the whole time. I'm still learning FPV and to fly multi copters so forgive the crappy flying.
I want to try a 8bd patch antenna to see if it helps.
My ground station is very basic and just a lunchbox and my CCTV-900 sitting on it and my Vizux 920 goggles. I use a GoPro2 for recording and FPV camera.

I was at a HUGE park and I was the ONLY PERSON there. Everyone else was too smart to be outside playing in the 110 degree scorching Arizona heat.

In the winter time I could never do this flight since there would be tons of people below.

It's a very boring video (I don't know how to edit). Fast forward to 3:50 and I start my journey home.

FPV flight with DJI F450 quadcopter. Went out 2,500ft (8 min 1 sec)
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Last edited by jasper7821; Aug 27, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
well done.. I'm still learning all this.. lots of parameters and things to learn..
Hebar is offline Find More Posts by Hebar
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:34 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,392 Posts
nice Jasper...im getting better at this too...going out on lunch breaks and after work flying everyday and its getting easier all the time.

My next venture is to build up my ground station. Im using the wrap 920's as well and I have a 9" lcd coming so that others can watch when i have an audience...or if i dont feel like using the goggles.

Im using a 5.8 system and so far it is working really well. Planning on adding a CP Helical either with diversity or replace the SPW antenna....this should give me more distance. Wish i had a video for you to watch, but for a 6 min vid to upload to Youtube or Vimeo was gonna take 140 minutes!

anyways...sorry for the threadjack...glad to see you're getting better at this.
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
nice Jasper...im getting better at this too...going out on lunch breaks and after work flying everyday and its getting easier all the time.

My next venture is to build up my ground station. Im using the wrap 920's as well and I have a 9" lcd coming so that others can watch when i have an audience...or if i dont feel like using the goggles.

Im using a 5.8 system and so far it is working really well. Planning on adding a CP Helical either with diversity or replace the SPW antenna....this should give me more distance. Wish i had a video for you to watch, but for a 6 min vid to upload to Youtube or Vimeo was gonna take 140 minutes!

anyways...sorry for the threadjack...glad to see you're getting better at this.
Thanks,
I'm getting a little more used to the depth perception. I finally added a LC filter since I'm using the 3s flight battery as my FPV battery too and it made a big difference and I can see more clearly now through the goggles.

I'm going to start and try low altitude FPV'ing through the desert and around bushes and stuff. I'll use the stock DJI props so I don't break my Graupners and I'll also stay close and only a few feet off the ground in case a prop breaks.

I now have over 70 flights on this little F450 and everything on it just works absolutely perfect. I don't even remember what the gains are because it's been months since I connected it to the computer. I only do a compass calibration every few weeks or so just for the heck of it and this thing always hovers in one spot within a radius of less than a foot.
From TahoeEd's suggestion the only thing I might do is turn up the attitude gain. It's hard to keep it at the exact altitude, one tad down and it descends very slowly and one tab up and it climbs very slowly but only a total distance of maybe a few feet in one minute so not really a big deal at all.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:20 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
Thanks,
I'm getting a little more used to the depth perception. I finally added a LC filter since I'm using the 3s flight battery as my FPV battery too and it made a big difference and I can see more clearly now through the goggles.

I'm going to start and try low altitude FPV'ing through the desert and around bushes and stuff. I'll use the stock DJI props so I don't break my Graupners and I'll also stay close and only a few feet off the ground in case a prop breaks.

I now have over 70 flights on this little F450 and everything on it just works absolutely perfect. I don't even remember what the gains are because it's been months since I connected it to the computer. I only do a compass calibration every few weeks or so just for the heck of it and this thing always hovers in one spot within a radius of less than a foot.
From TahoeEd's suggestion the only thing I might do is turn up the attitude gain. It's hard to keep it at the exact altitude, one tad down and it descends very slowly and one tab up and it climbs very slowly but only a total distance of maybe a few feet in one minute so not really a big deal at all.
yea i think i have my naza dialed in pretty well...maybe a few minor tweaks here and there
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE