HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:05 AM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,428 Posts
Expect me as a helper on Sunday, possibly Monday as well. Working out details now.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:42 AM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
Expect me as a helper on Sunday, possibly Monday as well. Working out details now.

Tom
That is great Tom - especially if you can swing Monday!

Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:16 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,923 Posts
For you guys who are sitting on the fence and pondering if you should jump into this event, quit thinking about it and do it! The only way you're going to find out if you have what it takes to be a studly guy who dares to challenge the forces of nature by speed, distance or duration is to get into this event and fly it! Sure, it takes big brass ones to run 16 second speed runs, but it is better than walking into the doctors' office after taking a little blue pill over four hours ago and now it won't quit! If you think you have what it takes be one of the elite, then get that entry into Colleen Pierce at the AMA Competiton Department and get into it!

(This is not a paid political announcement. Side effects include headache, nausea, air sickness, dumb thumbs and finger arythmia. If you have a problem lasting more than four hours, please see your doctor for an intensely embarrassing moment. My name is Mike Lee and I approve of this message).
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:35 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Paulson View Post
If Glauco shows up in Perris....... I'm out!
Glauco, now you really have to come!!!
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2,010 Posts
that was funny!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post
For you guys who are sitting on the fence and pondering if you should jump into this event, quit thinking about it and do it! The only way you're going to find out if you have what it takes to be a studly guy who dares to challenge the forces of nature by speed, distance or duration is to get into this event and fly it! Sure, it takes big brass ones to run 16 second speed runs, but it is better than walking into the doctors' office after taking a little blue pill over four hours ago and now it won't quit! If you think you have what it takes be one of the elite, then get that entry into Colleen Pierce at the AMA Competiton Department and get into it!

(This is not a paid political announcement. Side effects include headache, nausea, air sickness, dumb thumbs and finger arythmia. If you have a problem lasting more than four hours, please see your doctor for an intensely embarrassing moment. My name is Mike Lee and I approve of this message).
Kyle Paulson is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2,010 Posts
Guys, be sure to check your "nuggets" before you come to the event. If your nuggets are Not brass.....don't come!

Glauco..... You cant come!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:09 PM
Sherpa
La Quinta, Ca.
Joined Sep 2003
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post

Gee I would think that if you were in this condition (over four hours and not quitting) you would be shouting to the roof tops.

Sherpa
who doesnt need little blue pills...yet
Schwemmer is offline Find More Posts by Schwemmer
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,517 Posts
Is there an official entrant list yet?
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:06 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,923 Posts
I have been given that list from Colleen as yet. But I will bet that the names of some F3B studs are on there! I will post the list as soon as I get it.

Mike
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:19 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,152 Posts
This is the official list so far and I believe it to be complete:
Darrel Zaballos
Kyle Paulson
David Klein
Mike Lachowski
Tim Traver
Paul Sherman
Tom Kiesling
Mike Smith
Don Scegiel
Reto Fiolka
Paul Crittendon
Thomas Cooke
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:18 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,567 Posts
Who the f@&k is Thomas Co....
Cookie, glad you are on our team!
Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: more Tweagle testing
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:54 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,064 Posts
Perris Team Selects Layout

Mike and Tom (and all),

I was thinking about it the other day, and I'd like to throw out some ideas as to the layout that we are going to have on the Perris field.

There is quite a large area to use, but some of it is not very usable for certain things (like landing). Unless it gets cut down, (or mowed down by goats or sheep), the soft farm field is actually not a good place to land. The bushes are knee high, and catching a wingtip on them is no good.

There are also some other obstacles that come into play. Most notably are the power lines that line the nearby main road.

So, I've attached two photos of some possible setups for the field, and of course would like everyone's input and concerns.

The first pic is one that is going the way that we have generally set up for practice, that has the course lines going North South. This one brings into play the power lines, and only puts the east winch turnarounds into the brush. It would also have to have the parking area a ways back to keep out of the way of the course and the winches.

The second one has it turned 90 degrees so that the course is running East West. The advantage to that is that it is very clear in bother directions when running distance, and its got the parking and paddock closer to the normal locations. The down side to it is that one set of winch lines is going to have to be in the field, which could be tricky. We may have to get permission to bring some weed whackers and get rid of some of the brush to handle a winch line with a dozen winches or so...

Part of the reason I wanted to start this discussion, is that whatever way we are going to set up the field, I would like to start practicing that direction...

I have also included a blank picture of the field for you all to use to make your own pictures or layouts.

Some questions that I have...

1) Does the second winch line have to be exactly 180 degrees to the first one?
2) Do both winch lines have to be perpendicular to the course? (i.e. in line with the line between bases)

There is another way to do it that is a little more in line with the general wind direction, although the wind does fluctuate quite a bit. But that other way, brings back into play the power lines...

I have also assumed that there would be a "Paddock" area where we would all have our easy ups and equipment...

So, there ya go! I know I just opened up a can of worms, but someone needed to open it up, right???

Tim
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:27 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,923 Posts
Hi Tim,

No, you haven't opened up the proverbial can of worms. At least three other people have been having similar concerns. The beauty of this field is that it is pretty wide open, and there is the capability of running the winch lines any direction you want. The problem that I see is that up to this point in time, nobody has actually tried to run any which direction...at least not to my knowledge. They have set up a few times and then just kept using that same direction after that. No, we don't have to run a second winch line 180 degrees around from the first. It just uses less overall space by doing so and allows for a quick and easy change of direction.

As for the wind direction, that's kind of a variable. No matter which way you run the winch lines, it is bound to conflict with the wind direction at some time during the event, unless by Divine Intervention, the wnd never changes.

The bottom line is that we are going to do our best to make things as good as we can to provide the most favorable conditions and with as many flights as possible. I would surely love to have a sod farm to set this up on, but that didn't happen and so we make the best with what we do have. (Where the heck can I rent a sod farm in this area?)(seriously!)

Mike
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:24 PM
Sherpa
La Quinta, Ca.
Joined Sep 2003
1,629 Posts
Mike,

My 2 cents. I have flown full scale airplanes and helos over 25 years in SoCal. Most days the landing pattern at French Valley airport is from the south. Most days the landing pattern for Hemet is from the southwest. This field is between the two airfields which makes me think the setup should be to the south/southwest directions. Again just info

Rick
Schwemmer is offline Find More Posts by Schwemmer
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2,010 Posts
I believe coarse setup and winches in both directions parallel to the road will work best for us.

That's worth 4 cents.