Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glauco View Post
Kyle finished first but elected not to fly in Germany since he just came back from the F3F worlds in Germany and before that has been on several world teams so he just needs a little break.

By the way, before the TS the last time he had flown F3B was in March during the Gator, so you can conclude he is really good or that practicing is highly overrated

G
I only practiced a few days since Gator and only two days with someone on the buzzer. Stick time on the airplane helps a bit. I think Kyle has a tiny bit of stick time on the FS4 this year.

Reto had even less practice. I need to get him to do some workouts and bulk up so he can throw better in calm conditions. It was OK Saturday in the crosswinds where you build up tension flying to the side but Sunday and Monday in almost no wind you need a strong launcher to throw with a lot of tension on the line.

The winner for no pratice is Cooke who last flew F3b 11 years ago. His pratice was two launches Saturday morning before the first flights of the contest.

Still no power or phone in NJ. Some areas around me are getting some power but some streets will probably take a few weeks. CR513 from Clinton to Pittstown that I usually take off I78 driving home has a stretch with about 15-20 phone poles across the road. That's two days for a crew planting poles, never mind the wires. Power lines for most of my circuit look in decent shape.

Fedex will probably deliver my models from CA before I get power....
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Jul 2002
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlachow View Post
Reto had even less practice. I need to get him to do some workouts and bulk up so he can throw better in calm conditions. ....
Less Swiss cheese for you Reto and don't forget to sign up for Klein's fitness program.

G
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:07 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,545 Posts
Lol, it could not be that bad, why else was I launching for Mlachow and Cookie all the time? Okay, one launch was with suboptimal tension.

Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RetoF3X; Nov 02, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:21 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,889 Posts
Geez...the contest is over and the trash talkin' is still going! Gotta love it!

Mike Lee
(The other Mike L)
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:16 PM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2010
1,402 Posts
I had never seen this. It was a direct cross wind to the winches around 15 to 20 mph Friday mid afternoon. So no one was too keen on risking their plane for a practice flight off a winch so Darrell said "time for an upstart". 150 meters of line (1.32 or so) and a stake. Tie off the mono to a stake, walk out the line, good tension and let her rip directly into the wind. It worked very well.

Darrell launches Paul and he really gets high. One "S" turn to the right and one "S" turn to the left and ping off..............(it's the little things that keep it interesting)

F3B Upstart (1 min 8 sec)
David Olson is offline Find More Posts by David Olson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by David Olson; Nov 03, 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:18 AM
F3B and F3K
Joined Mar 2009
1,545 Posts
@Mike Lee:
This is not trash talk, Mike La. has a point. Watch the image series where I retrieve Mike's plane for a re-launch. Not a sign of a sprint there, not even a jog!

Too long in the US ( unhealthy food and using car too much ).

Reto
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: more Tweagle testing
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:24 PM
F3B and F3K
Joined Mar 2009
1,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvF3b View Post
I'm curious though. What is so special about Mikes distance tactics? The rest of the world want to know :-)

John
John, Mike is just really good in reading the air. Thus he can tell you when it is a good moment to launch and where to go. Some of his calls appeared risky to me (going first, or not flying with the pack), but it often works out.

One of Mike's finest calls was launching downwind, but into the course. Thereby he could circle in a thermal that was on the course before flying to base A and then enter the course.
No one else got the idea and launched upwind (away from the course), since it looked ludacris at first to launch downwind. But to get to that thermal, they had to enter the course (and thus start directly flying laps). Mike won that one handily, since he alone could gain ~100 additional feet in altitude.

Working a thermal before entering the course normally does not work since they get blown out of course too soon (and you then fly 4min in sink). However it was crosswind, so you could follow the lift for the 4min.

At the TS, timing and where to fly in distance was crucial, the air was by times lumpy and finding a good parcel of lifty air was key.

Reto
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RetoF3X; Nov 03, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,271 Posts
Don't forget using Franks golf cart to retrieve your winch lines.

A strong thrower helps in calm conditions. It did not matter much on Saturday where there was a very crosswind launch because in those conditions you build tension flying low to get the launch turned into the wind.

It was hard to keep a competitive winch setup with two good lines and one safe with only 5 winches with the small turnout and variable winds and manage power from 5 batteries. Need more f3b pilots......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X View Post
@Mike Lee:
This is not trash talk, Mike La. has a point. Watch the image series where I retrieve Mike's plane for a re-launch. Not a sign of a sprint there, not even a jog!

Reto
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,271 Posts
Power and airplanes/winches all arrived today.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:43 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,081 Posts
Glad to hear that Mike. It sucks being without power for so long ...
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:01 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X View Post
@Mike Lee:

Reto
I don't think you can blame it on the US, you lost weight when you first got here.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,271 Posts
I'm pretty lucky. No broken poles on my loop.

Some people might take up to two weeks more. Sunday, Monday are supposed to get down into the mid 20's. My house was down to 54 before power and it is 6" walls and brick so well insulated.

Delaware, and VA folks seemed to do OK. LI is a mess still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
Glad to hear that Mike. It sucks being without power for so long ...
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:40 PM
launch high, go fast
Australia, TAS, Devonport
Joined May 2008
151 Posts
Thanks Reto,

Distance certainly rewards pilots that treat it as a thermal task. With decisive tactics, you can immediately gain an advantage.

It is fun to find a thermal outside the course and spend 2:30 circling in it to 450 m in height. The smile is hard to contain... Then game on, immediately starting at 8 lap per
Minute pace....... Woo hoo, I do love distance in good air :-)

John
luvF3b is offline Find More Posts by luvF3b
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,271 Posts
I actually fly regular thermal duration flights as distance flights in some AMA TD contests. Really confuses some pilots who like to follow. They don't know where to go.

The one flight was fun, launch downwind into course to get to thermal and fly there a while. Thermal was partly out of course and moving into the course and towards the sighting devices. I was able to enter with a considerable height advantage so just started in at a 8 lap pace and maintained that for 4 minutes all the while being higher than the other pilots on course. Last minute the lift had mostly moved off course.

Kind of sucks for the other pilots. 28 laps which is normally good, but not when you are down 4 laps.

I also had one wrong choice on which way thermal was moving so I had to relaunch for 17 laps in 3 minutes. and another choice on circling a little out of the best lift to say out of the sun and risk of accidentally entering the course that cost a few laps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvF3b View Post
Thanks Reto,

Distance certainly rewards pilots that treat it as a thermal task. With decisive tactics, you can immediately gain an advantage.

It is fun to find a thermal outside the course and spend 2:30 circling in it to 450 m in height. The smile is hard to contain... Then game on, immediately starting at 8 lap per
Minute pace....... Woo hoo, I do love distance in good air :-)

John
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:48 PM
F3B and F3K
Joined Mar 2009
1,545 Posts
@ John: my observation at various contests is however that circling before entering the course often does not work out: when there is lift on the course, it often pays off to burn laps immediately as long as it's there. Since when it's gone, the air on the course is poop. Saw it many times at Eurotour that the guy who first circled was then hammered on the last laps since the air was then gone.

Exceptions are crosswind ( thermal drifts normal to course) or thermal outside the course.

Yeah, Mike and I are hated in the ESL for practicing distance in TD contest. "Einleiten . . . Rumm!".

Reto
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RetoF3X; Nov 06, 2012 at 04:56 PM.