HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Have you built a balsa plane from a kit in the last 12 months?
Yes 392 75.82%
No 125 24.18%
Voters: 517. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,300 Posts
Three balsa kits since December. One (Stevens Aero Hummingbird) actually completed & flown. Small Guillows P-51 that I originally intended to complete as an electric... first balsa plane in probably 30 years (and second one ever). Will probably never complete it, ot at least never fly (using it as experimenting with sheeting, among other things). Third is a SA Swift 100, just needs to have the covering finished.

Have 3 or 4 other kits waiting for their turn as well.

My fleet currently is mostly foam. I have two non-foam ARFs (E-Flite T-34 and Super Cub).

For the most part, I'd rather just fly. ARFs got me into the hobby, and will likely keep me in it. I'll build stuff as the mood strikes me. Having to build in order to fly would be a deal-breaker.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:21 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
No and im to old to do it Built lots of them in the late 1980,s, but i just want to fly now.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:12 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
I've built 3 kits, a Guillows P-40, a Sig 29er, and a Peck Gypsy Moth. I've also scratch built 3 balsa airplanes and am currently working on a SIG Seniorita.

In the same time period I bought four Tx-R or BNF foamies and 2 balsa ARF, along with a used balsa plane built from a kit.

Edit: make that 5 kits, I forgot a Dumas Corsair, and a Peck Sky Bunny. (and a couple AMA Racers and Thermal Darts)
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Last edited by Eclipse_7; Aug 28, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:16 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
691 Posts
Call me old fashioned, but there is something 'organic' about building a plane from balsa. Yes, we all know foam is quick and easy, but it just lacks a certain 'something'.
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:48 AM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
This year: A spitfire and a neiport 11
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:25 AM
Horsham, PA
Joined Aug 2007
135 Posts
I like to build kits and I always seem to have one in progress. Some fly well and some don't. I am currently building an Aerodrome RC 20" Sopwith triplane. However, I also fly ARF planes and I am occupied at first light most mornings with an E-flite UMX MIG 15 EDF. There is a place for everything.
impmotor is online now Find More Posts by impmotor
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:39 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,026 Posts
When I'm building from scratch or plans, I usually start by making a kit and then building it. Does that count?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
When I'm building from scratch or plans, I usually start by making a kit and then building it. Does that count?

Andy
yup.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:46 AM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,065 Posts
Some short kits with plans and the rest scratch built. I haven't ever used foam but that's just because all I've ever built with is balsa and light ply and never felt the urge to do foam.

Have a Sparks OV-10 and a HOB FW-190 going through a conversion to a D9 and electric. Have a Park Scale models XF-12 on the way.
tsymonds is offline Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:16 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy
Is that like making all the pieces and selecting all the strips and flat stock
before beginning construction?

That's how we did this one. Brad cut a lot of the pieces on the band saw,
I did some on the scroll saw, we had most in place before I started building.
There was still some looking for odd pieces, but I think even kits require some
of this?

Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Jul 2011
147 Posts
I've actually built two ff-electric conversions in the past 12 months. no success with number 1 and limited success with number two. Both important steps towards making use of excellent kits available.

I find too that theres a wider range of planes available in kit form than ARF form, just like theres a wider variety of plans available on the web than there are kits.
NoiseBox is offline Find More Posts by NoiseBox
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
852 Posts
I built a guillows kit the Javelin and I put the motor of a micro mustang and used the brick rx to control rudder elev and throttle. Fun little plane if i do it again i will cover with saran wrap and the tissue still sags in the early morning dew.
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Lol here is BONKERS!!!(thats its name). I drew my own plans, then built it. Its ready for RC equipment, but at the moment I'm kinda broke, so..... Being 13 can be tough...But I just ordered a new longboard, which is good
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,022 Posts
Are those marks for ailerons? If so, they look too small. I don't want to seem too critical, but the leading edge should be rounded for better wind penetration. The thick trailing edge will
cause turbulance and reduce lift. Full strip ailerons contoured to the wing profile would solve this. You may find that the rudder is to small at low speeds.

Good to see a young person having a go a scratchbuilding. Looks like it has potential with some tweaking. Good luck with it!
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:24 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
No kit building anymore. I assemble all my planes now, my time is way to valuable to be building when i could be flying.

However I am glad that I acquired the skills to build a balsa plane and cover it from my youth. It has helped me immensely in my repairs and I'm going to make my kids build a plane if they want to fly.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz